florence and the machine

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
keeper of the quays said:
The_Lhc said:
No forced sound? She shouts at the top of her voice and I know that's basically what opera singers do but she has none of the control or tonal quality of any of those. It's frequently painful to listen to.
Then give me a example of what you think a good female singer sounds like?

Why? What difference does it make? I don't need to listen to any other female singer (or male for that matter) to know that she makes my ears bleed!

Clearly at your advanced age your hearing is so blunted you can't hear anything above 10kHz, so you'll just have to take everyone else's word for it because it really is you against the world on this one. Again.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
The_Lhc said:
No forced sound? She shouts at the top of her voice and I know that's basically what opera singers do but she has none of the control or tonal quality of any of those. It's frequently painful to listen to.

Why? What difference does it make? I don't need to listen to any other female singer (or male for that matter) to know that she makes my ears bleed!

Clearly at your advanced age your hearing is so blunted you can't hear anything above 10kHz, so you'll just have to take everyone else's word for it because it really is you against the world on this one. Again.

And she does not hurt my ears

Paul.

The_Lhc said:

well she isn't Kate Bush, but I think she might want to be.

Tori Amos, Imogen heap, the jezebels, yeah yeah yeahs, Regina Spektor are some of my favourites.

I think most people's problem with Florence is the high level of polish. Listen to jezebels live at the hornden, for better or worse it sounds very similar to the studio album. Listen to Florence and the machine live and she doesn't seem to be able to control her voice well enough to wail.

K

keeper of the quays

The_Lhc said:
The_Lhc said:

Again? Lol..if she so bad why do other 'pop stars' horrid word.want to work with her? I hadnt asked for your view on why should you listen or not? I was just interested in female singers you think highly of? It isnt a trick question..im not going to turn around and castigate them..ill listen on youtube..a few songs too...but if its mariah, whitney or another warbling trilling howler? Ill shall be less than enthusiastic...ps you feeling ok lhc? Usually your quite terse? Almost bolshy! You in a good mood? Cool...(on a promise last night? Lol) pps im being flippant and hopefully amusing? No malice intended! Haha..

manicm

I love her, and all the naysayers really should give her latest How Big, How Blue How Beautiful a spin.

And I'd rather have her over the G*dAwful Sam Smith anyday - his Bond theme must rank as the worst of all time - even beating U2's awful one.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
The_Lhc said:

Again? Lol..if she so bad why do other 'pop stars' horrid word.want to work with her? I hadnt asked for your view on why should you listen or not? I was just interested in female singers you think highly of? It isnt a trick question..im not going to turn around and castigate them..ill listen on youtube..a few songs too...but if its mariah, whitney or another warbling trilling howler? Ill shall be less than enthusiastic..

You're missing my point, I don't listen to female singers on the whole. In fact I don't really listen to singers at all if I can help it, there are very few voices that particularly impress me and I'm not interested in anything many songwriters have to say, another plaintive love song accompanied by an acoustic guitar or stock "r'n'b" backing (which is not true rhythm and blues at all) is my idea of hell (so no, definitely no Mariah or Whitney or anything like that).

I'm afraid I'm an instrumentalist (shut it!) by preference, it's the music I'm interested in. If there happens to be a vocalist involved then fine but it's not something I look for.

I will admit, there is one female artist I do love but by any objective measure she's not a great singer, her breathing, for example, is dreadful but she's pretty unique, so if you're listening to or judging her on the absolute quality of her voice then you're completely missing the point and, in my opinion, it's the imperfections and lack of polish that allow her to inject so much more emotion into her lyrics than anyone else I've ever heard.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
The_Lhc said:

She is not rated that highly, I looked on a site that rates voices, Adele comes out higher :http://www.criticofmusic.com/2012/11/vocal-profile-florence-welch-florence.html

I think Eva Cassidy is a good female singer, has a good range, can sings different styles, jazz, blues, pop listen to Live at Blues Alley or the extended version Nightbird. Actually Lady Gaga has a good voice not that you would know from most of her records, only found out when she sang with Tony Bennett.

K

keeper of the quays

The_Lhc said:
The_Lhc said:
The_Lhc said:

Again? Lol..if she so bad why do other 'pop stars' horrid word.want to work with her? I hadnt asked for your view on why should you listen or not? I was just interested in female singers you think highly of? It isnt a trick question..im not going to turn around and castigate them..ill listen on youtube..a few songs too...but if its mariah, whitney or another warbling trilling howler? Ill shall be less than enthusiastic..

You're missing my point, I don't listen to female singers on the whole. In fact I don't really listen to singers at all if I can help it, there are very few voices that particularly impress me and I'm not interested in anything many songwriters have to say, another plaintive love song accompanied by an acoustic guitar or stock "r'n'b" backing (which is not true rhythm and blues at all) is my idea of hell (so no, definitely no Mariah or Whitney or anything like that).

I'm afraid I'm an instrumentalist (shut it!) by preference, it's the music I'm interested in. If there happens to be a vocalist involved then fine but it's not something I look for.

I will admit, there is one female artist I do love but by any objective measure she's not a great singer, her breathing, for example, is dreadful but she's pretty unique, so if you're listening to or judging her on the absolute quality of her voice then you're completely missing the point and, in my opinion, it's the imperfections and lack of polish that allow her to inject so much more emotion into her lyrics than anyone else I've ever heard.
who is this singer? You didnt say..

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
BigH said:
I think Eva Cassidy is a good female singer, has a good range, can sings different styles, jazz, blues, pop listen to Live at Bleas Alley or the extended version Nightbird.

I can't forgive her for what she did to Somewhere Over The Rainbow, that's a lovely tune and she made it unrecognizable, so now every cocking two-bit pub singer thinks they've got the right, never mind the talent, to sing it any way they choose. Tossers.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
The_Lhc said:
The_Lhc said:

Yes, that was deliberate, as I know you'll just apply your usual standards to her and judge her to be inferior and as I said, that would be to miss the point.

K

keeper of the quays

The_Lhc said:
The_Lhc said:
The_Lhc said:
The_Lhc said:

Yes, that was deliberate, as I know you'll just apply your usual standards to her and judge her to be inferior and as I said, that would be to miss the point.
Sweeping generalisation..lol they have a offer on at homebase, extra wide broom real bristles..your broom must be a bit worn? I wouldnt have slagged the singer off..im a fan of real singing..my loss i guess..poor eva cassidy such a voice..and fab guitarist..

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
BigH said:
I think Eva Cassidy is a good female singer, has a good range, can sings different styles, jazz, blues, pop listen to Live at Bleas Alley or the extended version Nightbird.

I can't forgive her for what she did to Somewhere Over The Rainbow, that's a lovely tune and she made it unrecognizable, so now every cocking two-bit pub singer thinks they've got the right, never mind the talent, to sing it any way they choose. Tossers.

My God, finally someone who sees it my way. In general I've no axe to grind about Eva Cassidy (RIP) but she absolutely murdered SOTR, and it often seems the minute you say as such to someone, it's like you've insulted their ancestors. I'm always amazed why her rendition of it seems to have touched the conscience of the public so much when it was so truly awful...was it used to accompany some video about starving third world children or something? Genuinely I have no idea.

K

keeper of the quays

MajorFubar said:
The_Lhc said:
BigH said:

My God, finally someone who sees it my way. In general I've no axe to grind about Eva Cassidy (RIP) but she absolutely murdered SOTR, and it often seems the minute you say as such to someone, it's like you've insulted their ancestors. I'm always amazed why her rendition of it seems to have touched the conscience of the public so much when it was so truly awful...was it used to accompany some video about starving third world children or something? Genuinely I have no idea.
never much liked that song..eva cassidy did a sing called autumn leaves? Beautiful song...think this young talented singer/guitarist dying so young and so needlessly...touched people..i like her singing but when she gets into top gear its a little strident..in my opinion there are two female singers who will never be bettered..one is monseratt caballe and the other is ella fitzgerald.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
The_Lhc said:
BigH said:

I don't know SOTR its not my sort of music. But whats the point of doing cover versions that sound exactly like the original?

So no one knows any good female singers? Some of the highest rated ones I can't stand like Whitney, how boring can you get. Theres plenty I like but not sure they are great singers.

How about Lisa Gerrard?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I'm with theLhc 100% on this. We're far too obsessed with singers being absolutely note perfect all the time, and nearly all the singers I like, be they male or female, aren't note perfect, in fact, some of them are technically poor. To be a good singer, you need to be able to convey the lyrics of the song in a genuine, believable way, and above all, the voice must have character.

Most chart music singers are indistinguishable from each other, and even fans of those artist wouldn't be able to recognise a new song, if they hadn't read, or been told who it was.

Again I'm with theLhc when it comes to the music being the priority, not the singing, or the singer. If the music doesn't interest me, I couldn't care less how, or what someone is singing.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
BigH said:
MajorFubar said:
The_Lhc said:
BigH said:

I don't know SOTR its not my sort of music. But whats the point of doing cover versions that sound exactly like the original? 

There isn't but that doesn't mean that any cover is automatically good. There's some rock-type vocalist doing a cover of sound of silence that radio 2 have playlisted this week and I find it quite bizarre because by the end of it he's bellowing the vocals, which seems a very odd way of interpreting the song!

So no one knows any good female singers? Some of the highest rated ones I can't stand like Whitney, how boring can you get. Theres plenty I like but not sure they are great singers. 

Well this is the thing, I like Susanne Sundfør but I like her for the music she creates, the fact that she also sings is neither here nor there to me, so I wouldn't call her a female singer that I like.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
BigH said:
MajorFubar said:
The_Lhc said:
BigH said:

There isn't but that doesn't mean that any cover is automatically good. There's some rock-type vocalist doing a cover of sound of silence that radio 2 have playlisted this week and I find it quite bizarre because by the end of it he's bellowing the vocals, which seems a very odd way of interpreting the song!

Well this is the thing, I like Susanne Sundfør but I like her for the music she creates, the fact that she also sings is neither here nor there to me, so I wouldn't call her a female singer that I like.

I agree about covers, most are worse, I can only think of a few that are better.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Some of you Florence fans should look at that link I posted to her with The Stones, and if you think she does anything but destroy an all time classic, then you're without any doubt, deaf and stupid.

My wife and I paid over £400 each for tickets to that gig, and 'Gimme Shelter' is my favourite Stones tracks. When it began, it was absolutely glorious, and I was actually quite choked up by it. Then, Jagger introduced the wailing ginge, and she totally destroyed the song, the atmosphere, and if you listen to it properly, she totally lost it, which made the rest of them totally confused to where they actually were in the song.

I'll never forgive her, ever.

K

keeper of the quays

The_Lhc said:
BigH said:
MajorFubar said:
The_Lhc said:
BigH said:

had a listen, white foxes, delirious and slowly...like it..esp delirious..has a ethereal quality? Darkly nordic...good stuff

K

keeper of the quays

manicm said:
I love her, and all the naysayers really should give her latest How Big, How Blue How Beautiful a spin.

And I'd rather have her over the G*dAwful Sam Smith anyday - his Bond theme must rank as the worst of all time - even beating U2's awful one.
+1

K

keeper of the quays

TrevC said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Ill have a listen tomorrow, bit harsh...florence has a lovely voice!

Honestly, she really doesn't.

She can shout and make money!

Someone with a lovely voice. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj_z35slL48
lovely voice..i like the landscape photo too..looks like one of my daubs..cool

K

keeper of the quays

BigH said:
MajorFubar said:
The_Lhc said:
BigH said:

How about Lisa Gerrard?
listening to 'aria' by lisa gerrard very nice..bit like the song from the myst...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts