• If you ever spot Spam (either in the forums, or received via forum direct message) please use the Report button at the bottom of each post to make sure a Moderator can handle it quickly. Thanks for your help in keeping things running smoothly!

florence and the machine

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

BigH

New member
Dec 29, 2012
97
0
0
keeper of the quays said:
BigH said:
MajorFubar said:
The_Lhc said:
BigH said:
I think Eva Cassidy is a good female singer, has a good range, can sings different styles, jazz, blues, pop listen to Live at Bleas Alley or the extended version Nightbird.
I can't forgive her for what she did to Somewhere Over The Rainbow, that's a lovely tune and she made it unrecognizable, so now every cocking two-bit pub singer thinks they've got the right, never mind the talent, to sing it any way they choose. Tossers.
My God, finally someone who sees it my way. In general I've no axe to grind about Eva Cassidy (RIP) but she absolutely murdered SOTR, and it often seems the minute you say as such to someone, it's like you've insulted their ancestors. I'm always amazed why her rendition of it seems to have touched the conscience of the public so much when it was so truly awful...was it used to accompany some video about starving third world children or something? Genuinely I have no idea.
I don't know SOTR its not my sort of music. But whats the point of doing cover versions that sound exactly like the original?

So no one knows any good female singers? Some of the highest rated ones I can't stand like Whitney, how boring can you get. Theres plenty I like but not sure they are great singers.

How about Lisa Gerrard?
listening to 'aria' by lisa gerrard very nice..bit like the song from the myst...
I don't know that one. She is in a lot of film soundtracks like Gladiator. The only Dead Can Dance album I like is Into the Labyrinth

Of her solo albums I like Silver Tree most.
 
K

keeper of the quays

Guest
BigH said:
keeper of the quays said:
BigH said:
MajorFubar said:
The_Lhc said:
BigH said:
I think Eva Cassidy is a good female singer, has a good range, can sings different styles, jazz, blues, pop listen to Live at Bleas Alley or the extended version Nightbird.
I can't forgive her for what she did to Somewhere Over The Rainbow, that's a lovely tune and she made it unrecognizable, so now every cocking two-bit pub singer thinks they've got the right, never mind the talent, to sing it any way they choose. Tossers.
My God, finally someone who sees it my way. In general I've no axe to grind about Eva Cassidy (RIP) but she absolutely murdered SOTR, and it often seems the minute you say as such to someone, it's like you've insulted their ancestors. I'm always amazed why her rendition of it seems to have touched the conscience of the public so much when it was so truly awful...was it used to accompany some video about starving third world children or something? Genuinely I have no idea.
I don't know SOTR its not my sort of music. But whats the point of doing cover versions that sound exactly like the original? 

So no one knows any good female singers? Some of the highest rated ones I can't stand like Whitney, how boring can you get. Theres plenty I like but not sure they are great singers. 

How about Lisa Gerrard?
listening to 'aria' by lisa gerrard very nice..bit like the song from the myst...
I don't know that one. She is in a lot of film soundtracks like Gladiator. The only Dead Can Dance album I like is Into the Labyrinth

Of her solo albums I like Silver Tree most.
the song is called "host of the seraphim" by dead can dance..please listen to it..it will blow your mind! I listen mostly to classical music..and this song is equal to anything written at anytime...its so beautiful and stark..
 

lindsayt

New member
Apr 8, 2011
16
2
0
No Light, No Light is a great track that deserves to be heard uncompressed.

Instead of hearing it on the CD version with a typically bad modern DR rating of 6.

And a better but still pretty poor DR rating of 9 on the vinyl version.

If it had a DR rating in excess of 12 I'd go out and buy it tomorrow.
 

BigH

New member
Dec 29, 2012
97
0
0
lindsayt said:
No Light, No Light is a great track that deserves to be heard uncompressed.

Instead of hearing it on the CD version with a typically bad modern DR rating of 6.

And a better but still pretty poor DR rating of 9 on the vinyl version.

If it had a DR rating in excess of 12 I'd go out and buy it tomorrow.
Its 5 on that track.

So how do you hear it on vinyl?
 

chebby

Well-known member
Jun 2, 2008
1,232
4
19,195
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Some of you Florence fans should look at that link I posted to her with The Stones, and if you think she does anything but destroy an all time classic, then you're without any doubt, deaf and stupid.

My wife and I paid over £400 each for tickets to that gig, and 'Gimme Shelter' is my favourite Stones tracks. When it began, it was absolutely glorious, and I was actually quite choked up by it. Then, Jagger introduced the wailing ginge, and she totally destroyed the song, the atmosphere, and if you listen to it properly, she totally lost it, which made the rest of them totally confused to where they actually were in the song.

I'll never forgive her, ever.
Unless she rushed the stage, overcame all the security, then mesmerised the band, then it's Mick and the boys you should blame for her presence.

I assume they practiced/rehearsed with her before the gig (or at least had some prior knowledge of her style), so - again - their fault not hers.
 
K

keeper of the quays

Guest
BigH said:
lindsayt said:
No Light, No Light is a great track that deserves to be heard uncompressed.

Instead of hearing it on the CD version with a typically bad modern DR rating of 6.

And a better but still pretty poor DR rating of 9 on the vinyl version.

If it had a DR rating in excess of 12 I'd go out and buy it tomorrow.
Its 5 on that track.

So how do you hear it on vinyl?
i just turned off emil gilels playing beethoven..to listen to no light no light...sounds good through my ipod into hifi..her voice great! Its a little compressed i guess through youbtube..but my kit opens it up! Great song!
 

Electro

Well-known member
Mar 30, 2011
43
2
18,545
The_Lhc said:
Well this is the thing, I like Susanne Sundfør but I like her for the music she creates, the fact that she also sings is neither here nor there to me, so I wouldn't call her a female singer that I like.
I agree to a point Susanne's voice is like a musical instrument rather than a normal female singers voice, I find her voice hypnotic and spellbinding .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kazsLGSvYP8

She is also a very capable pianist and conventional singer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3euca_r464
 
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Guest
chebby said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Some of you Florence fans should look at that link I posted to her with The Stones, and if you think she does anything but destroy an all time classic, then you're without any doubt, deaf and stupid.

My wife and I paid over £400 each for tickets to that gig, and 'Gimme Shelter' is my favourite Stones tracks. When it began, it was absolutely glorious, and I was actually quite choked up by it. Then, Jagger introduced the wailing ginge, and she totally destroyed the song, the atmosphere, and if you listen to it properly, she totally lost it, which made the rest of them totally confused to where they actually were in the song.

I'll never forgive her, ever.
Unless she rushed the stage, overcame all the security, then mesmerised the band, then it's Mick and the boys you should blame for her presence.

I assume they practiced/rehearsed with her before the gig (or at least had some prior knowledge of her style), so - again - their fault not hers.
I don't think he ever asked her back, so that says it all IMO. Jagger shouldn't have asked her, but she was still the one who fudged it up.
 

knaithrover

Moderator
Nov 24, 2013
159
57
10,670
Joanna Newsome, Kate Bush, Janis Joplin, Natalie Prass, Regina Spektor, Aretha Franklin and the late great Judee Sill are my favourites.

Florence and the Machine are inexplicably popular and mind numbingly dreadful.
 

The_Lhc

New member
Oct 16, 2008
1,176
1
0
manicm said:
I love her, and all the naysayers really should give her latest How Big, How Blue How Beautiful a spin.

And I'd rather have her over the G*dAwful Sam Smith anyday
You do realize that "someone else is rubbish therefore Florence is good" is not a valid argument right?

What Bond theme did U2 do? I can't remember that at all, must have blanked it out my mind!
 

NJB

New member
Nov 28, 2008
75
0
0
lindsayt said:
No Light, No Light is a great track that deserves to be heard uncompressed.

Instead of hearing it on the CD version with a typically bad modern DR rating of 6.

And a better but still pretty poor DR rating of 9 on the vinyl version.

If it had a DR rating in excess of 12 I'd go out and buy it tomorrow.
I can tolerate most of Florence's singing, but it can get a bit shouty at times. Her albums are really badly compressed, which is a personal dislike of mine. However, there are some nicely dark lyrics in there, which appeal to me.

As for Bond themes, I have never really considered them as trendsetting. They are pretty hit and miss in equal measures. Funny, but the ones I like seem to go with the films I like.

Similarly, I quite like some cover versions but have this theory that you rarely like a cover of a song if you liked the original version. For example, I liked Mad World by Tears For Fears when I was at school in the 80s, and so when my kids were raving about the remake (which sounded like a funeral dirge to me), I was crying murder and changing radio channels.
 
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Guest
The_Lhc said:
What Bond theme did U2 do? I can't remember that at all, must have blanked it out my mind!
It kind of exist. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GoldenEye_(song)
 
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Guest
BigH said:
I don't know that one. She is in a lot of film soundtracks like Gladiator. The only Dead Can Dance album I like is Into the Labyrinth

Of her solo albums I like Silver Tree most.
I was lucky enough to see Dead Can Dance in the late 80s, and a solo Lisa Gerrard performance at the Union Chapel in London, which was a great setting for the music.

I only have a couple of early Dead Can Dance albums, 'Within The Realms Of A Dying Sun', and 'Spleen And Ideal', with WTROADS being my favourite.

Lisa Gerrad does have quite an amazing voice, though after watching a live DCD video many years ago, where they had interview clips of both her and Brendan Perry in between the songs, she was incredibly pretentious and annoying.
 

The_Lhc

New member
Oct 16, 2008
1,176
1
0
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
The_Lhc said:
What Bond theme did U2 do? I can't remember that at all, must have blanked it out my mind!
It kind of exist. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GoldenEye_(song)
Oh right. Not sure that counts as a u2 song...
 

BigH

New member
Dec 29, 2012
97
0
0
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
BigH said:
I don't know that one. She is in a lot of film soundtracks like Gladiator. The only Dead Can Dance album I like is Into the Labyrinth

Of her solo albums I like Silver Tree most.
I was lucky enough to see Dead Can Dance in the late 80s, and a solo Lisa Gerrard performance at the Union Chapel in London, which was a great setting for the music.

I only have a couple of early Dead Can Dance albums, 'Within The Realms Of A Dying Sun', and 'Spleen And Ideal', with WTROADS being my favourite.

Lisa Gerrad does have quite an amazing voice, though after watching a live DCD video many years ago, where they had interview clips of both her and Brendan Perry in between the songs, she was incredibly pretentious and annoying.
Never been to Union Chapel although Ive heard a few recording from there, yes seems a great venue. I think Lisa Gerrard has a good voice but I find some of the material a bit weird. Was listening to Immortal Memory last night that seemed pretty good album. I don't judge singers by their personality otherwise there would be quite a few I would never play again.
 
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Guest
The_Lhc said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
The_Lhc said:
What Bond theme did U2 do? I can't remember that at all, must have blanked it out my mind!
It kind of exist. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GoldenEye_(song)
Oh right. Not sure that counts as a u2 song...
I'm not sure that's what manicm meant, but if it was that one, he was right about the quality of the song; it is awful.
 
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Guest
BigH said:
Never been to Union Chapel although Ive heard a few recording from there, yes seems a great venue. I think Lisa Gerrard has a good voice but I find some of the material a bit weird. Was listening to Immortal Memory last night that seemed pretty good album. I don't judge singers by their personality otherwise there would be quite a few I would never play again.
That's a fair point, but I do wish I could banish that interview from my mind, as I was quite a fan before I saw it. *biggrin*
 

Thompsonuxb

New member
Feb 19, 2012
129
0
0
Love hearing about what music others like.

I myself have no time for Florence to my ears she is definitely a shouter a vocal butcher.

Never forgave her for her 'debut' track - what she did to Candy statons 'track' was unforgivable. Right up there with every Micheal Bolton cover....lol.
 

Andrewjvt

New member
Jun 18, 2014
99
1
0
Thompsonuxb said:
Love hearing about what music others like.

I myself have no time for Florence to my ears she is definitely a shouter a vocal butcher.

Never forgave her for her 'debut' track - what she did to Candy statons 'track' was unforgivable. Right up there with every Micheal Bolton cover....lol.
Micheal bolton sings for grannies in a garden setting

Florence is cool
 

expat_mike

Well-known member
Mar 30, 2013
159
2
10,595
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
The_Lhc said:
I read an excellent Viz Top Tip a little while ago, went something like "Pop fans, record your own Florence and the Machine album by locking an owl in a room full of wind chimes."
*lol*

That's brilliant.

Did you listen to the clip I linked to? It's painful, but the difference between when Lisa Fisher was singing, and when the 'Owl' starts hooting is worth listening to, and really shows the difference between a singer and a shouter.
I listened to your clip - just pure shouting. It has put me off listening to any of her other tracks.
 

busb

New member
Jun 14, 2011
58
0
0
Andrewjvt said:
[<Snipped>

Florence is cool
Not that familiar with F&tM so gave that song a listen. OK, she's no Liz Fraser or Lorde but hell, I've heard a lot worse by orders of magnitude! I remember playing Enya's Watermark to a friend who jumped up to scream "Who the f*ck's this, Richard Clayderman?" She didn't sound anything like him but there you go!
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts