Floorstanding speakers for Nad c370 + Arcam Rdac

mongoose1234

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys I thought I would post one final question here to avoid spamming the forums in future about various ideas, sorry about that in the past.

I want to buy a pair of floorstanding speakers that sound really clear with voices during moves, no bass boom but a strong powerful low end.

Size is not really a constraint, preferably something that has dual (or more) 6.5-8 inch woofers. Listened to dali Ikon 6 mk2 in a showroom and loved the sound. I'm not sure how much of a difference this makes but I tend to listen at loud volumes so I would assume (possibly incorrectly) that a three way speaker would be better as voices would be clearer if the driver producing them isn't also making large excursions and experiencing power compression etc??

I am looking exclusively at second hand speakers budget is between 150 and 300 pounds. I know this isn't a huge amount but I am willing to be patient and wait until the right deal comes around. Alternately in september 2014 I will be able to increase the budget to 2-4k.

I would love some specific recommendations on models if possible, just want something that does justice to the nad and arcam.

I listen to aggressive trance/classic piano/death metal/punk/classic rock/hippy music/reggae.

Thanks a lot.

Will add a sub in the future.

mongoose1234

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Hi, thanks for the speedy reply.

Would the iQ50's likely sound better than the old monitor audio's then?

I will try to get an audition when back in the UK.

mongoose1234 said:
Richer sounds also has iQ70's for £300

Better than IQ50? WHathifi gave them a pretty miserable review.

Only use reviews as a guide, but as we all know hi-fi isn't an exact science. The Kefs should a very good match for the Nad and, due to their fairly diminutive size, won't have the bottom end bloom of the MAs, but will dig deep enough when needed.

WHFI gave them a four star rating which is "very good". I've own 4 star products and they are good as 5 star. Hi-fi is about synergy not star ratings. :)

mongoose1234

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Hey sorry if it wasn't very clear I meant the IQ 70's getting a 3 star review.

4/5 starts is going to be similar but 3 vs 5 alarm bells start (for me at least). They were however reviewed at a higher price (700 vs 500 I think).

Then again I saw some GR 20's for £400 in perfect condition and it just maks me think I should wait and save more/....

Save your pennies and you'll get better. The GR20's were very good in their day, but again, they are a decade old and technology has moved on. The other reason for pointing out those Kefs is that Richer Sounds offer a 28 day returns just in case...

FWIW, one of my favourite sub-£500 standmount speakers Usher S520 and WHFI only gave them 3 stars.

GMK

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
My choice for your needs would be a good pair of Mission 753 (Freedom model) on Ebay or similar

images

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
This is the right speaker for you, I've the MA B4 with the NAD 3020i with great results!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Monitor-Audio-BX5-Main-Stereo-Speakers-/330934016986?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item4d0d345bda

mongoose1234 said:
How would the BX5's compare with these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Monitor-Audio-Silver-6-floor-standing-speakers-natural-oak-/221235267178?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item3382a6466a

A while back I saw some diamond 9.6's for £200, would this be a good choice if it ever comes to fruition again?

Wharfedale generally give a balanced sound, although have no personal experience of the 9.6s. Heard the MA BR5 (previous model) and they sounded good. Again, not heard that particular MA model you've linked.

What is your room acostics like? is it reflective or well damped with soft furnishings, carpet and curtains?

mongoose1234

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately I can't really give any help on room furnishings as I will be moving a lot in the near future. Also have no idea about the size of the room, so something that isn't demanding in that way would be good (if at all possible).

mongoose1234 said:
Unfortunately I can't really give any help on room furnishings as I will be moving a lot in the near future. Also have no idea about the size of the room, so something that isn't demanding in that way would be good (if at all possible).

Unfortunately room size and acoustics has a fairly significant effect on the overall sound, I certainly wouldn't have my current kit (or be very reluctant) if my living room hard flooring, no curtains limited number of soft furnishings. Given your circumstances I would seriously consider those Kefs as they should cater for various room dimensions and should also be fairly forgiving of harsh acoustics. Their size will also cover small and larger rooms too. As I mentioned before you can take'em back if they don't suit and change to a different make.

mongoose1234

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys basically there's a pair of bx6's and a pair of mission 753's on ebay.

Which would you recommend?/what sound characteristics do they have?

If they go out of my price range I will just buy the kef speakers.

I've decided I'm going to build a pair of speakers in 2 years once I have money

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts