Floorstanders vs standmounts

NJB

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
After more years playing with hifi that I care to mention, I have many areas of total ignorance and so really appreciate advice. I am looking to replace a pair of Epos ES14 in a Naim based system; one of them is slowly dying. I have never tried floorstanders, and have some preconceptions that I will find more bass extension and a laid back presentation. I need to avoid peaky treble, either it is my Naim gear or my ageing ears, but a recent dabble with Dynaudio Excite X12s was no success with listening fatigue being a serious issue. I really like the ES14s, so guess that something with their qualities and a little more bass, although tight control is a must, would be perfect. There is a bit of an itch to get something chunky! I listen at moderate volume and so, in theory, a 3-way design could move extra air and thus generate a bit more bass impact at low volumes than a smaller standmount design. I wonder how many woeful generalisations are contained in that last sentence....

Floormounts or standmounts (again), where would you go?

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site

For me, Standmounters always seems to sound more direct and uncoloured. Whenever I listen to a Floorstander, I'm convinced I can hear the box.

Fortunately, there are Standmounters out there that do bass as well as Floorstanders.

My SAMmed Focal Standmounters sound direct and intimate but also huge and deep with my Devialet 200.

I think a lot depends on your room and the sort of music you like to listen to. I'd try some new speakers of both types at home if you can.

NJB

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
I would expect to pay more for floorstanders, and so it will take longer to save for them. I reckon that I would go £1000 for standmounts, but perhaps £1500 for floorstanders. I have been checking out the latest Focal Arias, great reviews but mostly linked to classical music. My mix of modern stuff, rock and pop, probably needs different characteristics and thus these might not be an answer.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm a floorstander man myself - industrial looking stands in black or silver don't work for me.

Reference the sound a good well built floorstander will cover anything a standmounter will do.

If your amp has tone controls or your source is digital the bass can be controlled via the eq if you find it too much.

You also have some pretty slim designs which have a smaller footprint than the base of speaker stands.

They also look alot better - find a design that suits your taste and audition.

Compare the two types.

Rimse

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
very strange that you find dynaudio peaky sounding ,may be just excite series or somenthing else.Dynaudio contour and confidence standmounters has very nice treble and bass ,works fine for me contour and c1. Focal completly diffrent sounding,might be too bright

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
My standout standmount (try saying that after a couple) is the Kef R500 in that price bracket. A lovely looking and well made speaker that is well worth an audition. I thought they sounded like their standmount sisters (R300's) with more low end.

Lovely beasties.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Gazzip said:
My standout standmount (try saying that after a couple) is the Kef R500 in that price bracket. A lovely looking and well made speaker that is well worth an audition. I thought they sounded like their standmount sisters (R300's) with more low end.

Lovely beasties.

I think you mean "Standout Floorstander", but since you've had a couple, you're forgiven, especially as I happen to agree with you (depending on room size).

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
IME. Things to consider when deciding on Floorstander vs Standmount.

- Room size. A speaker that is too big for a room will overpower it and conversely, a speaker that is too small will sound "lost".

- Looks. It has to fit in with the decor of the room and personal aesthetic preferences.

- Presentation. Floorstanders major on scale and impact; wheras Standmounts are often better at speed and imaging....so again, this can be down to personal preference.

- Quality. Since Floorstanders are more expensive to get right, due to their extra size and the inherent problems of damping a large cabinet, you will often get a "better" sound from a Standmount at a given price (especially at the cheaper end of the market); though you have to factor in the price of a good stand (which can be quite expensive).

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
These are great speakers and you will do well to match them at your budget.

I must admit that I would be tempted by the new Epos K series, affordable stand mount or floorstanders, with Epos's classic (ES14 style) minimalist crossovers.

Even more exciting is the prospect of the Active K (by Creek Audio) module as a future upgrade, facilities include onboard dac, dsp eq, active crossover and more.

A great step by step approach to bringing your system up to date in afordable bites.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
davedotco said:
These are great speakers and you will do well to match them at your budget.

I must admit that I would be tempted by the new Epos K series, affordable stand mount or floorstanders, with Epos's classic (ES14 style) minimalist crossovers.

Even more exciting is the prospect of the Active K (by Creek Audio) module as a future upgrade, facilities include onboard dac, dsp eq, active crossover and more.

A great step by step approach to bringing your system up to date in afordable bites.

I agree, and for what it's worth there was more info given here: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/speakers-to-replace-epos-es14-in-naim-system

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
NJB, a pair of EV MTL-4's placed under your ES14's with an active crossover cutting in at about 150 hz will address most of the shortcomings of your current speakers for your given budget.

That is, if you want to go the bespoke, combined floorstander and standmounter, Frankenstein, all-out mega-system approach.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I've gone from stand mounted to small floor standers suitable for the size of my room. QA Concept 20's to PMC GB1's to Twenty 23's (arriving Monday) I prefer the warmer, less stark and industrial look of the floor standers. They feel like part of the surroundings rather than an intrusion into my space. Just a purely cosmetic observation, obviously the improvement in sound quality will speak for itself.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I agree about the Dyns. I would try Kefs R300 and 500s, also the new Epos range. I generally prefer standmounts, feal there are too many problems with floorstanders under about £1000. Bass is a big issue so depends what suits your room and your tastes.

The Active K (by Creek Audio) module does sound interesting, I would investigate that further.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Gazzip said:

Lovely beasties.

I think you mean "Standout Floorstander", but since you've had a couple, you're forgiven, especially as I happen to agree with you (depending on room size).

Oh deary me. Hic! Hic!

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
For many years I enjoyed my standmounts (Mission 780's) in a well furnished 3m wide by 4m long room. During that time it never really occurred to me that I needed anything better. After moving them into a newly built extention (sparsely furnished room 4m wide by 5m long) they immediately appeared 'lost'. The addition of a sub helped a little but I still wanted to try floorstanders. A couple of home demo's confirmed my feelings and I eventually got some (RS5's). The biggest difference is scale, there wasn't a huge jump in clarity, but they fill the room and now the musicians are in the room with me.

I've been tracking the progress of the Epos K2 and the active module since last June, as at that time I was interested in replacing both amp and speakers (standmounts). But it seems that Epos have been taking their time to develop the active version, and with no real indication of when they would be introduced, I picked up the RS5's for a bargain price. I listened to the K2 active version at the Bristol show but without a home demo I wouldn't want to make any real judgements. They sounded good but only a home demo would allow me to compare to what I have. At present the K2 active version module requires a pre-amp. The full digital version I understand will be available later this year.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts