Question Floorstanders under £1k

JonB1001

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
I currently have a pair of Q Acoustic 3050is which I like and do a good job but I have a small listening room and have always felt them a bit big and imposing. Does anyone have experience of smaller floorstanders under the £1k mark and can recommend something as good if not better than the 3050is? I’ve heard a lot of good reports about the Dali Oberon 5s which are a lot smaller than the 3050is. There are also the Neat Iota Alphas that come in at under a grand for second hand units. Any views on those speakers or any others than might fit the bill? Thanks

Dom

If they sound good why invest in smaller speakers. ;)
However small speakers when you have found the right one's will be excellent. Sorry I can't help you decide on the perfect small floor stander speakers.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
The Rega RX3 (or previous version RS3) are smaller than your 3050i's, have a front port, and a side firing bass driver that helps with placement, and probably would be helpful in a small room. You can probably get RX3's for under £1K open box or ex demo, and the RS3's will be a lot less 2nd hand.
I had the RS5's in a room 4m x 5m for a few years and really enjoyed them, the smaller RS3's were not big enough for my room when I demoed them.
But the RS3/5 was a good match for my previous Rega amp/CDP combination and also suited my tastes in music.
So as usual, it all depends on what you are matching them with, and what music you like to listen to.
How small is your listening room?

Reactions: Al ears

JonB1001

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
Also I have the 3050is rear bass port bungee because the speakers have to be placed in front of where I store my records and it makes them a bit boomy and uneven. Bungs have really brought the cohesion and soundstage out of the 3050is.

I am happy with the sound it’s just the size. Quality of the sound is the most important aspect so I’d only change if I could be guaranteed a similar or better quality out of a smaller speaker.

Also I have the 3050is rear bass port bungee because the speakers have to be placed in front of where I store my records and it makes them a bit boomy and uneven. Bungs have really brought the cohesion and soundstage out of the 3050is.

I am happy with the sound it’s just the size. Quality of the sound is the most important aspect so I’d only change if I could be guaranteed a similar or better quality out of a smaller speaker.
The use of bungs, to variable degrees, tends to stiffle speakers I found. However those speakers that have been recommended will all sound pretty good in your set-up, in my opinion
It's a pity you cannot audition as this really should be done, however if you buy wisely and go for second-hand you should be able to sell them on if they don't do it for you.
The Epos I suggested are very efficient and should work well with that amp of yours, likewise the Edwards Audio will probably be similar.
Are you in the UK?

shadders

Hi,
Have you thought of DIY loudspeakers ? the following is 925mm x 200mm x 260mm :

There may be others - but you do get higher performance drivers for the same money as commercial built speakers.

Regards,
Shadders.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts