Floorstanders or StandMounted Speakers on Laminate Flooring?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi Folks,

Looking for opinions on the above, I am on the verge of buying Spendor S5e speakers to go with Cyrus CD8x, Cyrus 8vs2 and Cyrus PSXR.

However my dealer has mentioned that I should listen to Spendor SA1 speakers before I purchase although they are £1500 inc stands and he will let me have the S5e's (ex-demo) for £1000.

They will be going into a room 14 feet square on laminated flooring and I was wondering what you thought of the speakers being used in this scenario and any tips for improving the sound on this flooring.

Cheers

Shayn

A

Anonymous

I use the SA1s on Apollo stands (unfilled) in a room a little larger than that. They sound great although there isn't a lot of low end welly. The SA1s are about speed and the bass you get is impressive but nothing like the big Spendors. Which you choose is down to taste.

The SA1s work well at all volumes but they are very inefficient and might not meet your expectations if you want party levels (at least with a Cyrus 8 anyway). Further, I sometimes use my sub with mine to get the low end and it's a good combo.

My room has laminate flooring and I used to suffer badly with ultra-bright Monitor Audio RS1s. The SA1s are a perfect balance for me given the circumstances but I wouldn't say no to a carpeted room :) To ensure that you get the best result I think it's worth buying some spike shoes from ebay. These will ensure that the stand feet make a balanced and firm contact with the floor. My laminate has a good wodge of underlay that makes it flex somewhat so spike shoes are a necessity. Finally, I have a large rug in front of the speakers which help me in my acoustic situation.

Good luck with it and enjoy!

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
agree with igglebert, reflections from the floor can make the sound seem bright. try laying a quilt inbetween you and the speakers - if you notice a difference it might be worth getting a carpet or nice rug. if your floor moves up and down a bit on the underlay, maybe a nice looking patio slab under each stand?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Craig M."] if your floor moves up and down a bit on the underlay, maybe a nice looking patio slab under each stand?
[/quote]
Patio slabs under the stand, excellent idea. In practice I would quickly find them in my side of the bed.....

John Duncan

[quote user="igglebert"][quote user="Craig M."] if your floor moves up and down a bit on the underlay, maybe a nice looking patio slab under each stand?

[/quote] Patio slabs under the stand, excellent idea. In practice I would quickly find them in my side of the bed.....[/quote]

Whereas I would simply find myself on a slab.

huddo

Nov 13, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="JohnDuncan"][quote user="igglebert"][quote user="Craig M."] if your floor moves up and down a bit on the underlay, maybe a nice looking patio slab under each stand?

[/quote] Patio slabs under the stand, excellent idea. In practice I would quickly find them in my side of the bed.....[/quote]

Whereas I would simply find myself on a slab.[/quote]

Or under the patio even !!!!

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
just been informed that i too will be coming to a premature end should she who must be obeyed come home from work and find paving slabs in the house. women.
emotion-2.gif

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
You could try to persuade 'she who must be obeyed' that paving slabs are perhaps OK with a layer of felt stuck to the underside, thus protecting the floor. Or maybe some nice terracotta or travertine slabs - as recommended by Sarah Beeny (honest!). Or how's about this for compromise: slabs of 30mm-thick MDF, painted in a shade + colour chosen by 'she who must be obeyed'?

A

Anonymous

Those chopping boards do look nice - or you can fool the wife with a little DIY, wrap (her choice of) coloured felt around the slab and do it all up neatly so it looks nice.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="shayn"]
Hi Folks,

Looking for opinions on the above, I am on the verge of buying Spendor S5e speakers to go with Cyrus CD8x, Cyrus 8vs2 and Cyrus PSXR.

However my dealer has mentioned that I should listen to Spendor SA1 speakers before I purchase although they are £1500 inc stands and he will let me have the S5e's (ex-demo) for £1000.

They will be going into a room 14 feet square on laminated flooring and I was wondering what you thought of the speakers being used in this scenario and any tips for improving the sound on this flooring.

Cheers

Shayn

[/quote]

The larger spendors can sound loose with your cyrus components so I'd say its imperative you try either one at home if you can. Both are nice speakers that do a lot right.

If you dont find them to your taste try Rega's R3. Magic with the cyrus stuff you have. Dont discount them just because of the low price.

A

Anonymous

I have listened to the S5e's in the dealer's demo room, carpeted, and was impressed but unfortunately then do not have Rega ones there. You mentioned them sounding loose with the Cyrus equipment, is this from hearing them yourself? I didn't notice this when I heard them. It looks like I will need to take your advice and have a listen at home first.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts