Floorstanders on top of low level unit - bass loss?.....help

camdxr

Mar 7, 2008
Visit site
Afternoon All

The great equipment reshuffle is nearing completion. My MA RS8's and RSLCR are now sat on top of an Ikea Besta unit 50cm off the floor. It all looks great IMO. Just fired it all up for the first time in months, admittedly it's a much bigger room, but I am disappointed with the sound. I seem to have lost bass.

I'm assuming that putting the floorstanders on top of these units may be the contributing factor. Now I am planning to cover these units with a 2.40m single length piece of 20mm deep granite. Will doing this assist with "grounding" the RS8's?

Thanks

Cam.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Cam

Placing speakers over hollow cupboards usually makes the bass boomy/loose, but sometimes can suck it away. Compared to the previous room, how much bigger is it and what sort of floor/furnishings does it have.....the RS8s should have more than enough bass.

Placing the speaker up 50 cm will also muck up the height of the tweeter, and thus the treble response. Placing granite should help, but adds to the height problem. Auralex is much better for isolation, but raises things up even further and is probably to big and unstylish looking.

Is it possible to post some photos......is this your only solution?

Cno

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts