Rega elex after 3 weeks

yani

Jan 16, 2015
Visit site
Sorry about last post, I screwed up posting too early.

i have had my Rega Elex for a full 3 weeks now. It was new and now has 60 hours play. I enjoyed it for the first 4 days and felt it was a major step up from my bi amped audio labs. I decided It was a keeper. Saturn cd with large Celestion standmounts. The amp then began to sound very strident with s and t sounding over the top. I then felt I had made a mistake. Having already committed myself to keep It I had to stick with it. Now with nearly 60 hours running it has became far more listenable with a great soundstage. Having had a brio r previously but felt it lacked clout for my 4ohm Celestions, the Elex has put a big grin on my face with it's powerful bass and great detail. It is certainly a little brighter than my audio labs but worth it for all the areas it improves on.

My brio never hummed and I can say this Elex is very quiet also. Really a pleasure to listen to now. I just wonder if people make too quick a decision with these units not allowing enough time for both the unit and user to adapt to the new sound.

It's admittedly a relief as the wife would have went ape **** if I had told her I was now unsure again. Sure you all know what I mean !!!

yani

Jan 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi

Yes I was allowed a short few days at home with it. It had impressed me in the shop enough to bring home. I had already enjoyed the brio r for a year but still felt it lacked the powerful full sound the audio labs gave. Far more detail though. Hence why the Elex was worth a listen. I had heard the Elecit r but found it far too bright.

I have pushed my speakers back 6 inches and reduced toe in. It has worked a treat with a large soundstage and more controlled higher frequencies. Really nice full sound now. Bad recordings still can sound poor though. Got t expect that though.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I asked as in a few months hopefully I will be demoing the elex-r along with a few other amps. with the shortlisted ones brought home for demo. So I guess that your demo unit was 'run in' (if there is such a thing) or .......... well it could be all sorts of reasons.

Room and speaker placement is another story, after a few weeks with my RS5's having settled in, I removed a matt vinyl dance floor in readiness for a new rug, I suddenly noticed the sound went slightly bright (more reflection maybe?). As soon as the rug went down the slight brightness disappeared as quickly as it appeared. Unless it was all in my mind *smile*

Anyway I'm glad you are now enjoying your new purchase.

yani

Jan 16, 2015
Visit site
My own room is not that large. It's our spare bedroom converted to a man cave. It's about 11ft square and also has some pictures and mirrors on the wall. Not ideal I know but wife wanted her input on decoration. Still it seems to work very well with having a thick carper and rather large leather chair with foot stool. Very comfy for long sessions. I nearly went for wood flooring but changed at the very last minute fearing reflection and bright sound.

Spent a good number of hours now wth the Elex and am getting happier by the day. Great detail and superb clarity. Far more sense of the venue with a deep 3d soundstage. The amps I previously home demoed were --

naim xs (previous model), great pace with full bass but too flat a sound stage for me. Might just be perfect for others.

musical fidelity m6i, lovely velvety sound with very quiet background. Bass was excellent but in my small room too much

TRENDING THREADS