Question Floorstanders choice and amp

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Kamran90

Feb 8, 2020
Visit site
Hi everyone in What Hifi community.
I'm now choosing components for my first Hi-Fi system for listening on vinyl and network streaming.
Besides the choice of streamer and record player (which I already did, thanks to What HiFi articles and reviews), the question on choosing the right pair of speakers is still an issue.
I'm now choosing between Klipsch RP-4000F and Wharfedale Diamond 240.
My living room is 6m x 6m , so there's plenty of space.
I listen primarily to classic rock bands, post-punk, gothic, heavy metal and sometimes modern metal genres.
Standing out guitar sound is crucial for me.
One famous website had a function of online sound comparison between two, so I tried it through my earphones and what general picture was, that Klipsch would be sounding much more detailing, although missing some bass, whilst Wharfedales were sounding neutral, but one thing I noticed - heavy metal sample was sounding as a one big mass due to bass overflow, guitar solo was sounding somewhere in background completely lost in bass flow.
Again, it is sample listened to through low-end earphones, but that was an impression. Other genres sounded better on Wharfedales, whilst Klipsch were too bright and razor-sharp to my ears in some high-frequencies.

Still, I wouldn't rely too much on this kind of comparison and would like to hear from you, guys, what would be a recommendation. Music is the only intend of the system, so no home cinema applications.

Another question will be, if, say, Klipsch is too bright, can it be solved by bass/treble configuration from an amplifier? Can amplifier equalizer cut some of sharp edges, if treble is slightly reduced?

Amplifiers I'm looking into are Yamaha A-S501 (is there any need for 701?) and Denon PMA-600NE (is there any need for 800NE?) I can stretch my budget into more hi-end things like Rega Brio / Elex-R if that really brings value in terms of sound quality.

Thanks in advance, sorry, if the post is long and confusing.
P.S. There's absolutely NO Hi-Fi dealers in my town, so the best option of listening to both and choosing is not applicable.
P.S.2. I'm more of music fan, than an "audiophile".

Last edited:

Kamran90

Feb 8, 2020
Visit site
Don't know how you would bi-amp the Yamaha as it doesn't have a pre-amp out. Think you might be getting confused with bi-wiring... bi-wiring is a complete waste of time.
Yeah, I completely misunderstood, both Yamaha and Cyrus have bi-wiring, none have bi-amping. I'll probably stick to Cyrus, as it has Aptx BT.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts