Floorstanders and Suspended Wooden Floors

Nico69

Dec 28, 2019
Visit site
Hi all.

Now I've got my Marantz amp I'm looking at pairing it with some floorstanders. I'm eyeing up either Monitor Audio Bronze 200s or Fyne Audio F302i's.
We have suspended wooden floors with a 3ft crawl space beneath. The floors are stripped and we have rugs.
Will floorstanders be a bit 'boomy'? Anyone with experience of the above?

Hi all.

Now I've got my Marantz amp I'm looking at pairing it with some floorstanders. I'm eyeing up either Monitor Audio Bronze 200s or Fyne Audio F302i's.
We have suspended wooden floors with a 3ft crawl space beneath. The floors are stripped and we have rugs.
Will floorstanders be a bit 'boomy'? Anyone with experience of the above?
You might need some serious isolation under those speakers.

It might be fine, or it might be terrible! It depends rather on where the speakers sit relative to joists etc. And all the other room issues, many of which will be particular to your room.

What is it like to walk in that area? Does it sound hollow underfoot? I suspect the best answer is to simply try a couple of pairs at home. But bear in mind that stand-mount speakers will potentially have the same issues.

Do you have any speakers in the room currently? What is it like?

Nico69

Dec 28, 2019
Visit site
Current are Tannoys Mercury M2s on Atacama SE24s. Sounds OK not boomy a bit thin if anything. Hence seeking floorstanders.

Attachments

• 20230126_093359.jpg
    20230126_093359.jpg
    279.3 KB · Views: 38
  • 20230126_093502.jpg
    20230126_093502.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 37

Nico69

Dec 28, 2019
Visit site
Those Tannoy's got some old world charm to it! I wonder why they would ever sound thin...

Thanks. I like them but the wife thinks they are ugly. They've
done 26 years of sterling service but I've a feeling one isn't quite working as it should at low volume. I tend to not crank it up anymore so thought floorstanders would add depth at lower volumes. I'll run them for a week with the new amp as it might have been the old Rotel with channel issues.
Yes, the new speakers will be situated where these currently are so near joist supports. No room for big slabs.
It would be a shame to get rid if the Tannoys ares they are perfectly mint. Not a mark. Doubt I'd get £30 for them now.

AJM1981

Current are Tannoys Mercury M2s on Atacama SE24s. Sounds OK not boomy a bit thin if anything. Hence seeking floorstanders.

Thin can be two things
* if there is a gap in sound, check if your polarity is correct (negative on amp to negative on speaker, positive on positive) Faulty wiring can happen to the best.

*if there is a lack of bass after this simply add a bit to flavor, sometimes amps are calibrated a certain way. Tone controls are not a shame.

*Adding a sub could be an option too in case you like the tannoys. Just make sure that your sub has a fair amount of extension.

Last edited:

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
I live in a town house with suppsended eco floors with effectively a 12 foot drop underneath. There is no 2 ways about it you will loose some bass at certain frequencies and you really gain some. It’s part of the reason I opted for a sealed speaker. I have klipsch heresy 3 in this room it just seems to work.

I found it purely depends on where the speakers port is/was located.

pmc’s transmission line design for example just didn’t work the floor wasn’t solid enough to reflect. Tried them on solid concrete floor down stairs and completely different beast.

A heavy weight stand with a standmount with be best I think. It just a hunch though from my experience. When set up right a stand mount can sound just like a floor stander.

if you still like the idea of a floor stander I urge you to pick a lot more and try them in your livening space.

Reactions: AJM1981

AJM1981

I live in a town house with suppsended eco floors with effectively a 12 foot drop underneath. There is no 2 ways about it you will loose some bass at certain frequencies and you really gain some. It’s part of the reason I opted for a sealed speaker. I have klipsch heresy 3 in this room it just seems to work.

I found it purely depends on where the speakers port is/was located.

pmc’s transmission line design for example just didn’t work the floor wasn’t solid enough to reflect. Tried them on solid concrete floor down stairs and completely different beast.

A heavy weight stand with a standmount with be best I think. It just a hunch though from my experience. When set up right a stand mount can sound just like a floor stander.

if you still like the idea of a floor stander I urge you to pick a lot more and try them in your livening space.

To me Floorstanding versions of speakers that are designed well are a bit like a Ferrari in station wagon format. I mean, still a Ferrari, still awesome.. but yeah.

They are more expensive to get compared to the other models, less versatile in placement and highly unpopular at the second hand market. So I mostly prefer two or three way standmounts with or without a sub.

Reactions: twinkletoes
The pics are really helpful. That, along with with your comment about being bass light suggests you can be pretty confident the room won’t cause the bass problems you mentioned originally.

In a bay window (I have similar though in a modern house) and no curtains, you’ve plenty of reflective surfaces. And uncarpeted floor. Have a look and listen at Dali Oberon 5 and the more affordable Q Acoustics 3050i alongside the MA and Fyne you mentioned. You’ll find something amongst them I’m pretty sure.

Last edited:

Nico69

Dec 28, 2019
Visit site
Out of interest, what’s the left hand speaker standing on, as there appears to be nothing under the right speaker ?

DG…

Ah, very Eagle-eyed of you! Yes, this is a square of hardboard I have temporary placed under the spike protectors to make to make it easier to fine tune the position of the stands as I've just been rearranging the living room. Once I've decided on which new speakers to get the hardboard will go but afraid the spike protectors will remain. It's an old pine floor and the spikes make one hell of a mess with it. I only had one bit of hardboard spare hence there only being one.

Reactions: Al ears

DiggyGun

Mar 2, 2021
Visit site
Ah, very Eagle-eyed of you! Yes, this is a square of hardboard I have temporary placed under the spike protectors to make to make it easier to fine tune the position of the stands as I've just been rearranging the living room. Once I've decided on which new speakers to get the hardboard will go but afraid the spike protectors will remain. It's an old pine floor and the spikes make one hell of a mess with it. I only had one bit of hardboard spare hence there only being one.

Have you considered using something like
IsoAcoustics Gaia Threaded Isolation Feet instead of the spikes and spike protectors?

Have read on some forums that these appear to be quite good.

DG…

matthewpianist

The Bronze 200s are prone to bass boom, so proceed with care.

There's a huge difference in how entry-level floor standers will behave compared to higher quality examples. The ATCs referenced above, and similar speakers from the likes of Spendor, are much more controlled due to their superior cabinets - the biggest challenge for 'budget' floor standing models.

The Fynes are less prone to boom than the MAs, so if you're going to hit the button I'd go that way. A small-is pair of standpoints would still likely suit your room better and with Marantz I would consider B&W or Q acoustics. Some of the larger standpoints are prone to bass boom and smear - MA Bronze 100s or Silver 100s for example.

Nico69

Dec 28, 2019
Visit site
Loving the new Marantz PM7000n! It's great. Will be better when I hardwire in an ethernet cable this weekend.

So still undecided about the next move re speakers. The current Tannoys are doing a great job but could do better. Not as rich as the MA's and Wharfdales. I find where I'm sitting I need to lean forward for best position. Moving sofa/speakers might give me about 12" of adjustment but not much more. (6" each).
I think the biggest issue is that we have a curtain room divider behind the sofa/listening position that closes off the dining area from the living room. (makes it much cosier in the winter and stops draughts down your neck). Because of this no sound is bouncing off the wall behind and it deadens the sound. See attached pic - the dimensions should be ignored.
I think I need speakers will a full sound (floor standers) but also have a forward sounding image.
What are your views?

Attachments

• room layout2A.jpg
    room layout2A.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 5

Clarkey_71

Oct 12, 2007
Visit site
Have you considered using something like
IsoAcoustics Gaia Threaded Isolation Feet instead of the spikes and spike protectors?

Have read on some forums that these appear to be quite good.

DG…

I use the Gaias and they are amazing. They're expensive, but to me, worth every penny.
I must add though that my floor situation is quite different to the OP.

Reactions: Emark600

Tonestar1

Whatever speakers you decide on do not use spikes on a suspended wooden floor with floor standing speakers. Spikes couple your speaker to the floor, the floor effectively becomes part of the speaker and will vibrate along with it, muddying the sound. I wouldn't even use spikes with floor protectors as they wont help much either.
For floor standers I would suggest a granite chopping board or heavy slab (if your partner allows it) sitting between the floor and the speaker with some sorbothane feet between the speakers and the board/slab to try to decouple the speaker and avoid vibrations getting through to the floor itself.

Reactions: matthewpianist

Nico69

Dec 28, 2019
Visit site
So, not having the chance to home demo some floorstanders yet as I simply haven't had the time, I ventured under the floorboards to run some Ethernet cable for the amp, the TV and a spare outlet, and some new speaker cables as well as to remove the hoards of co-ax cables I ran many years ago.

Luckily a few years ago I insulated the suspended floor from the underneat using rockwool slabs and held in place with plastic netting. I must say the sound is very very dead down there as after coming up for air a couple of hours later everything above the boards sounded harsh and echo-y especially in the hallway where the access hatch is situated. I think the floorstanders will be OK on that floor.

I've found some decent sized slabs (300mm square) at a builders yard not too far from me. I'll look for some sorbothan feet and try the speakers on that.

Pic below for reference. It was a horrible horrible job and I never want to do that ever again!

Also found a neat way to exit the cables behind the TV stand for the ethernet and speaker runs so only one hole inthe floor.

Attachments

• underfloor-insulation.JPG
    underfloor-insulation.JPG
    198.2 KB · Views: 5
  • cable outlet.jpg
    cable outlet.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 5

Nico69

Dec 28, 2019
Visit site
So finally got the Monitor Audio Bronze 200s on loan from RS and gave them a good trial today. They certainly handle the treble a lot better than the old Tannoys. More depth to the bass too. The wife likes them and thinks they are great.
However. I think they are a little too polite. A bit muted maybe. I'm listening hard searching for details I know are there. I think I need something with more presence. Maybe the QAcoustic 3050i ?

Attachments

• 20230225_162724.jpg
    20230225_162724.jpg
    280.7 KB · Views: 11
So finally got the Monitor Audio Bronze 200s on loan from RS and gave them a good trial today. They certainly handle the treble a lot better than the old Tannoys. More depth to the bass too. The wife likes them and thinks they are great.
However. I think they are a little too polite. A bit muted maybe. I'm listening hard searching for details I know are there. I think I need something with more presence. Maybe the QAcoustic 3050i ?
If they’re brand new from the box, give them a couple of days. They’ll loosen up, if they need to, and you’ll get used to them too. They’ll have more ‘presence’ if you toe them in towards your seat, rather than firing straight ahead.

Q Acoustics are likely to be a warmer balance, based on my experience of their smaller models and previous generations of MA.

Reactions: Nico69

Nico69

Dec 28, 2019
Visit site
If they’re brand new from the box, give them a couple of days. They’ll loosen up, if they need to, and you’ll get used to them too. They’ll have more ‘presence’ if you toe them in towards your seat, rather than firing straight ahead.

Q Acoustics are likely to be a warmer balance, based on my experience of their smaller models and previous generations of MA.

They are the shop demo pair so plenty broken in. Just a bit disappointed with the soundstage. It seems a bit muddled at times with busy Rock tracks. Vocals and simple instruments are great. Just lacking some je ne sais quoi. They are better than my current but are they £500 better or the best my £500 can buy for my setup?
Using Amazon Music UHD as a source as well as a Linn Axis

They are the shop demo pair so plenty broken in. Just a bit disappointed with the soundstage. It seems a bit muddled at times with busy Rock tracks. Vocals and simple instruments are great. Just lacking some je ne sais quoi. They are better than my current but are they £500 better or the best my £500 can buy for my setup?
Using Amazon Music UHD as a source as well as a Linn Axis
That’s the $64,000 question, as they say! Only you can decide that, in your room, with your gear and music taste.

If you decide they’re not for you, at least you have a reference point to compare with others back at the shop. A stand-mounted equivalent might ‘sound’ clearer because the bass level is reduced. If you pull yours out a couple of feet you’ll get a similar effect, by reducing the boundary influence of the wall behind the speakers. And try toeing them in, as I mentioned above, until the vocalist sounds the size of an actual person.

Reactions: WayneKerr

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts