Floorstand speakers with built in active subwoofers. Any??

RCduck7

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
Rightnow i'm looking out to buy me a new surround receiver and maybe some new speakers.

I read in an old what hifi issue about the mordaunt short 500 thx package which features built in active subwoofers, so there won't be any need to use a seperate subwoofer.

http://www.audioimports.com/reviews/MSTHX500/MSTHX500.htm

I'm intrested in this becausse in my new home i struggle to find a good place for my subwoofer.

I know of a lot of speakers that have side firing woofers like "rega" and audio physic" for example but aren't active to benefit from the seperate lfe channel that dolby digital 5.1 brings.

Does mordaunt short or others speaker makers still have these type of speakers??

RCduck7

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
Octopo:Here you go.

Thanks for the link octopo but are you sure that these use an ACTIVE subwoofer??

I have seen these speakers on the website of mordaunt short and i'm not sure they have the active subwoofers.

I don't read anything that says they are and i also see they only go down to 35hz, something that most normal floorstand speakers are capable of.

A

Anonymous

Perhaps give Mordaunt-Short a ring and ask them, apart from that article I can't seem to find anything about them.

A

Anonymous

Hi, I have these MS 908i and I don't think the side firing subwoofer is an active type. However, bass performance is deep in fact it can reach as low as 28 hz. My MJ acoustics pro 50 mk2 subwoofer is just the icing on the cake. I think if you don't want to have a subwoofer these speakers will do justice to your home entertainment whether its home cinema or stereo. Please take note these speakers need loads of running in to perform at its best.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
What about keeping your eye out on eBay for some B&W 605 S3's (or you could even contact B&W directly to see if they still have any in stock)!

A pair of the 605s sold last week on eBay and they looked superb. Shame you missed them!

biggus_1961

Nov 24, 2007
Visit site
d_a_n1979:What about keeping your eye out on eBay for some B&W 605 S3's (or you could even contact B&W directly to see if they still have any in stock)!

A pair of the 605s sold last week on eBay and they looked superb. Shame you missed them!

I think whhfi did a review on bw605 about 6 years ago.. I heard the 604 (no sub or amp in side them) and there was plenty of bass from them so i would say the 605 would have plenty of low bass...Unfortunately i didnt get around to listening to the 605 ...pity..

RCduck7

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
The 605 might be worth a listening if i can't get around to work with a seperate subwoofer.

I listened to 802 nautilus last week with a friend and was blown away, but even in secondhand buy the 803 is still expensive for me.

I'm gonna take my time on this and take as much listening sessions with different speakers as possible before i commit.

The "PSB image" range and "audio physic" range seem to be very good according to various sources like stereoplay, stereophile, ...

If i find the ideal speaker for me then i gonna try some receivers that work well with it.

I'm sure the mordaunt short 908i will have plenty of bass even without a dedicated sub but the downside is that it can't be connected as a sub to have that dedicated 5.1.

It would be like a 5.0 setup in my opinion.

I think i should also try to find someone who sells his mordount short 502 speakers that have a dedicated active subwoofer built in for 5.1, and take a listen.

A

Anonymous

mate i own the mordaunt short speakers with built in sub on the side, they also have ther own bulit in amp

they are fantastic, both sound quality and build

GetCarter

Nov 5, 2003
Visit site
Try these

http://www.definitivetech.com/loudspeakers/supertower/supertower.htmlÿ

not easy to get in the UK, but give a Thunderous Cinema experience

RCduck7

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
GetCarter:

Try these

http://www.definitivetech.com/loudspeakers/supertower/supertower.html

not easy to get in the UK, but give a Thunderous Cinema experience

Thanks for the link.

Reviews are very promising on these speakers!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts