Flat-Panels & Standard Definition...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
What's up WHF faithful!

I'm looking to buy a flat-panel tv in the next few months (the sooner the better though) and wanted to hear your opinions & to hear what the WHF team has to say, too.

The size will be either 46", 50" or 52" and a set that displays Standard Definition (SD) well is a must. There just aren't enough channels available on HD yet, and I hate the look of SD on most panels that I've seen.

So which sets can display SD well? I've seen a bunch in store and the Pioneer 5010 plasma looked best, but who knows how well the other sets were calibrated.

Is there anything in the 2008 line-up that I should keep a lookout for? Anything for last year that's worth a look?

Cheers!

FuzzyinLondon

Dec 5, 2007
Visit site
What's your budget? The best sets at around 50" for SD are the Pioneer plamas - the PDP-508XD(HD-Ready and around £1700) and the PDP-LX508 (Full HD and around £3000). The new Panasonic Plasmas (46PZ85, 50PZ80) also look decent, although it's a shame that there are no plans for a 50PX80 as their HD Ready models generaly tend to be slightly better with SD.

A

Anonymous

There will be a Panasonic TH50PX8 model (HD Ready panel), already on the Panasonic web site.

A

Anonymous

My budget is around 2000 quid.

I want a 1080p set to future proof the tv a bit (and for PS3 play).

Also, my living room has floor-to-ceiling windows on one side (with roller shades), so the room may be a bit bright in the day...will the plasmas still look good in a lighter environment? Every plasma I've seen in stores have been displayed in darkened rooms, so I haven't been able to see them with the lights on.

I'd prefer to buy LCD to save energy, but the plasmas I've seen have been better than the LCDs so far. Do you think the 2008 models will start to compete with the plasmas?

Cheers!

FuzzyinLondon

Dec 5, 2007
Visit site
Pioneer will be releasing a 46" LCD later this year. No specifics yet on release date or pricing. I think it will be very good but will struggle to be as good as their plasma range.

A

Anonymous

I'm actually hoping to get something sooner, rather than later (by the end of June at the latest)...

Here's hoping Pioneer will release some new plasmas by then!

FuzzyinLondon

Dec 5, 2007
Visit site
The UK launch for the 9th Gen plasmas is in a couple of weeks and they should make their way to retailers by end June/early July. They will be 50" and 60" Full HD plasmas.

A

Anonymous

Cheers!

Maybe a nice price drop on last year's models will sway me in that direction ( nice to keep some money in my pocket)
emotion-5.gif

TRENDING THREADS