Flash inside amp when switched on

emcc_3

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
Earlier noticed a white flash inside my K3 when I turned the power switch on. Then wouldn't turn fully on from standby. Switched off and back on, all is now working as expected. Any ideas on what this might have been?

insider9

It doesn't sound good. There shouldn't be anything like that happening. I really don't know what it could be and hope it's nothing to worry about but I'd say call either Roksan or your dealer tomorrow.

I've spoken to Roksan before they will definitely help you as are a great knowledgeable bunch.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
When I was a student I owned an Audiolab 8000a that I had worked my ass off to own. This was in 1993 and we were talking £500-ish ISTC, which was serious wonga back then. Anyway, I went home from university for Christmas and proudly set it up with my KEF C75’s to show it off to my parents. Flash! Bang! Fizzz... the amp was deceased. Turns out my mums cat (little bastard) had sicked up through the vent grilles on top and all over the PCB. God knows how it managed it given that I only left it alone for an hour or so, and the vents were over the heat sink, not the PCB. Must have done it sideways and on purpose.

Do you own a cat and is it looking guilty?

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

If it’s a fault, argue that it was there at the start if you are overly concerned. They should give you a new one, not some lame warranty repair after 4 months that may not sort it. I’ve been there. Check the recent consumer legislation on your rights.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Gazzip said:
When I was a student I owned an Audiolab 8000a that I had worked my ass off to own. This was in 1993 and we were talking £500-ish ISTC, which was serious wonga back then. Anyway, I went home from university for Christmas and proudly set it up with my KEF C75’s to show it off to my parents. Flash! Bang! Fizzz... the amp was deceased. Turns out my mums cat (little bastard) had sicked up through the vent grilles on top and all over the PCB. God knows how it managed it given that I only left it alone for an hour or so, and the vents were over the heat sink, not the PCB. Must have done it sideways and on purpose.

is that a serous story as I would of been totally gutted and the cat would of been gutted at the same time

i mean cats can be bad around electronics a specially tom cats for marking there territory one spray and bang !

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Blacksabbath25 said:
Gazzip said:

is that a serous story as I would of been totally gutted and the cat would of been gutted at the same time

i mean cats can be bad around electronics a specially tom cats for marking there territory one spray and bang !

how about a Great Dane or similar. They can do a huge dump that could get through the ‘air cracks’

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Gazzip said:

I am sorry to say that my tale is indeed true. I am also sorry to say that I cleaned it off and sent it back for repair under warranty. I have lived with that dirty secret for nearly 25 years. Thank you BS, I feel that a weight has been lifted.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
QuestForThe13thNote said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Gazzip said:

how about a Great Dane or similar. They can do a huge dump that could get through the ‘air cracks’

If a Great Dane dumped on my amplifier I would simply throw said amplifier away.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Gazzip said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Gazzip said:

I am sorry to say that my tale is indeed true. I am also sorry to say that I cleaned it off and sent it back for repair under warranty. I have lived with that dirty secret for nearly 25 years. Thank you BS, I feel that a weight has been lifted.
I do not blame you I would of done actually the same thing and I aim to please *drinks*

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Gazzip said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Gazzip said:

I doubt they didn't noticed the cleaning job and it being opened. Likely they weren't being difficult and wanted to make a customer happy.

emcc_3

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
Yeah played music briefly afterwards and both channels are making sound, though only tried one input. Going to call retailer and Roksan tomorrow for advice.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
emcc_3 said:
Yeah played music briefly afterwards and both channels are making sound, though only tried one input. Going to call retailer and Roksan tomorrow for advice.
just take it back to the shop and exchange it for a new one I would it sounds like there’s an issue with the power supply

emcc_3

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
Spoke to Roksan this morning. Found them very helpful on the phone. They have suggested that it is likely a relay switch didn't click in properly when switching on. They have said if it happens again or I notice anything untoward they will more than happy cover under warranty.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
emcc_3 said:
Spoke to Roksan this morning. Found them very helpful on the phone. They have suggested that it is likely a relay switch didn't click in properly when switching on. They have said if it happens again or I notice anything untoward they will more than happy cover under warranty.

The relay for the PSU has a transparent cover. Inrush current made a spark that flashed. No big issue.

emcc_3

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
Yes that is pretty much what the engineer said. Fairly confident it is now nothing to worry about but when you spend so much on this stuff it is easy to get worried*wacko*

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
emcc_3 said:
Yes that is pretty much what the engineer said. Fairly confident it is now nothing to worry about but when you spend so much on this stuff it is easy to get worried*wacko*
I would feel the same

i would of had it in my car and on my way to the shop before it opened lol if that was me

TRENDING THREADS