FLAC or WAV?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
May 29, 2015
Visit site
is there any difference between WAV or FLAC formats? we'll as a Audio Master there's a difference between lossless formats, obviously the bigger size, the better quality. right! but i tested between WAV and FLAC format, i distinguished the difference of their quality. although both lossless. but WAV is clearer sound while FLAC is slightly clear sound. that's why i rerip all my Cd's as WAV format instead of WAV.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Prince Ivan said:
is there any difference between WAV or FLAC formats? we'll as a Audio Master there's a difference between lossless formats, obviously the bigger size, the better quality. right! but i tested between WAV and FLAC format, i distinguished the difference of their quality. although both lossless. but WAV is clearer sound while FLAC is slightly clear sound. that's why i rerip all my Cd's as WAV format instead of WAV.

Some confusion so says I.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
Prince Ivan said:

I'll see your confusion and raise you a Spam :)

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
cheeseboy said:
RobinKidderminster said:
Prince Ivan said:

I'll see your confusion and raise you a Spam :)

Why take the risk? Storage is cheap so I rip all mine in their native AIFF.

SteveR750

Lossless is lossless, is lossless. Format is irrelevant, and cannot sound any different. FLAC is more convenient as the file sizes are smaller. You've got more chance of hearing a difference between 16/44 and 24/192 hi res, and most people are concluding there isn't much, if any really noticeable difference. In fact, most of us would probably not be able to consistently distinguish between 320kbs Spotify track and CDA.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
The music tracks are in AIFF format on the CD they are native to.

No, they're in PCM format.

It's just that if you're using a Mac computer, it sees them as AIFF files, as that's how it will store them, and the same with WAV on a Windows PC.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
To complicate matters slightly further, the PCM sample data isn't stored as WAV on a CD. The sample data is interleaved with error correction bits, and then spread around the disc to give some resistance to dropouts caused by scratches and disc imperfections. Google 'reed solomon encoding' if you are keen to know more. When the disc is played, the CD player reassembles the 16 bit samples before sending to the DAC (either internal or external).

The 'file format' is irrelevant. The only question is whether the codec (coding / decoding process) is lossless - FLAC, WAV, AIFF or lossy MP3, Ogg Vorbis etc.

iMark

andyjm said:
To complicate matters slightly further, the PCM sample data isn't stored as WAV on a CD. The sample data is interleaved with error correction bits, and then spread around the disc to give some resistance to dropouts caused by scratches and disc imperfections. Google 'reed solomon encoding' if you are keen to know more. When the disc is played, the CD player reassembles the 16 bit samples before sending to the DAC (either internal or external).

Good point. That's exactly why ripping CDs with error correction is very important to get the best quality rip. The interesting thing is that I have found that error ripped files that I saved as ALACs and play back via Airplay through the DACMagic sound marginally better than when I play back the same CD via the same DAC.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
andyjm said:
...The sample data is interleaved with error correction bits, and then spread around the disc to give some resistance to dropouts caused by scratches and disc imperfections. Google 'reed solomon encoding' if you are keen to know more.

I think I get the basic gist of how this work but it seems very complicated to the thickos amongst us (i.e. me).

minjuh1

May 11, 2014
Visit site
What I did recently was rip the whole CD as a cue+wav image, and then rip the image to individual flac files(tracks). You'd need backups anyway, so having 2 versions of each CD actually made sense to me. Besides, individual wav files don't show you track info so ripping individual tracks as wav files isn't recommended. As for sound quality, I suspect the flac plugin in foobar does something to change the sound a little bit, but it's basically the same.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Some people just don't get the concept of lossless compression. They can happily accept that if they ZIP an (e.g.) Excel file at work, emai it to their workmate and their workmate unZIPs it, their workmate has an identical copy of their original Excel file. But talk to them about lossless compression of an audio file using a compression algorythm like FLAC, which is essentially like ZIP but tailored to be space-efficient with audio files not Excel files, somehow they doubt you. I know this because I've actually had this debate with someone I work with. It's bizarre.

SteveR750

minjuh1 said:
What I did recently was rip the whole CD as a cue+wav image, and then rip the image to individual flac files(tracks). You'd need backups anyway, so having 2 versions of each CD actually made sense to me. Besides, individual wav files don't show you track info so ripping individual tracks as wav files isn't recommended. As for sound quality, I suspect the flac plugin in foobar does something to change the sound a little bit, but it's basically the same.

It shouldn't do. Foobar and J River are both designed to stream bit perfect data to the external device. So, you can use any PC with Foobar, and using the same setting should sound indentical into the same DAC and analogue system. Bit perfect is just that, a completely unchanged data stream.

manicm

daveh75 said:
Infiniteloop said:
manicm said:
Jota180 said:
Apple are a closed loop pain in the ass.

FLAC.

Actually no, Apple made ALAC open source, and I think AIFF doesn't require licensing.

+1

Open Source isn't just about licensing.

Unfortunately the tech giants have corrupted the term for their own means...

FYI Apple Lossless (alac) has been open-source and royalty-free for several years now.

iMark

manicm said:
FYI Apple Lossless (alac) has been open-source and royalty-free for several years now.

According to this article, there are very good (legal) reasons for Apple not to support FLAC and to introduce their own lossless codec in 2004. Apple made it open source in 2011.

http://www.mcelhearn.com/why-itunes-doesnt-support-flac-files/

For me it's never been a problem. The couple of dozen FLAC files I have, I have converted into ALAC so they play nice in the iTunes library. ALAC has become our baseline codec. We have ripped all our CDs in ALAC and I record my LPs in 16/44.1 ALAC in Vinyl Studio. The Airport Express uses ALAC to stream audio. It all works seamlessly together.

You could even do this in a Windows environment but I hear from many people that iTunes for Windows is not the best computing experience. :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts