Fixing a busted speaker cabinet...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
on a pair of GR20's...

It's not that bad.....
the muppet I bought them off ebay didn't pack them properly so one of the top corners has been bashed enough to crumple the veneer loads. Not enough to pierce the cabinet... but it doesn't look far from it. (how thick are the walls? anyone know?) damage goes down about 4mm in from the (rear) corner.

Any idea if there is anywhere I can get this fixed? there is another scuff on the front corner of the same speaker, but it's the kind of thing you might expect on second hand speakers I guess.

A

Anonymous

From my DIY experience, you need to cut out the damage, sand the area so it's dust free, then fill it with wood filler shaping with a flat trowel to get the correct shape. You should put a little too much filler in so that it stands a bit proud as it will shrink ever so slightly on drying. When it is fully dry and hard, you then sand both faces flat and use a touch up stick intended for laminate flooring to re-colour the patch in to match the veneer. If you restrict the repair to the smallest area you can, you should be able to create an invisible in-fill. Good luck!

A

Anonymous

Well i'm worried doing even more damage if I cut stuff away as it already goes quite deep. It looks almost as if I could soak the damaged area in some sort of glue and then force it back into its normal shape with some kind of 'corner vice'.

If it doesn't really effect the sound then all I'd be inclined to do is get it into a state where it's not going to get worse, because where it is crushed its 'flaky' and every new gentle knock is gonna make that worse (if only for the eyes). I'd then look at getting somebody professional in because they are expensive speakers and I have the DIY skills of a mongoose.

:)

A

Anonymous

in that case, get out to a DIY store and pick up a large pair of Quick Grips. These are like a clamp in that you tighten them, but by squeezing the handle. very useful and if you're planning to put a little wood glue (PVA) into the damage and then clamp while it sets you could certainly use them. When you're done (next day) release the grips and use a bare stanley knife blade to remove any excess glue. You shouldn't worry about using a blade flat along the wood any more than you worry about shaving in the morning. Before you start you could of course steam the damage with an iron or kettle to soften it up a bit, may help it to adjust into the right shape while the glue sets with the clamp on.

A

Anonymous

Hmm, nice idea, I might give that a go...

as soon as I can get clamps anyway..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts