First Turntable set up advice

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
I am new to this type of listening and need advice and/or suggestions on a build, ( turntable, speakers, amp, cables, etc). After doing a fair amount of web research I have come to the conclusion I would prefer a belt driven turntable w/ a thicker platter, decent cartridge, use for all speeds. I would like to get the best sound I can, rich and full, from the collection of vinyl we have.

Budget for all Approx: $600

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Well-reviewed on AudioKarma and Vinyl Engine too. Looks like it's a pretty good sounding turntable. I think the stock cartridge is a cheap Ortofon; you could replace that for an improved performance with a Nagaoka MP-110 or even an Audio Technica AT-95e.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
3582584 said:
The Plus comes pre-installed with a Grado Black1 cartridge.

Ok, well that's not a bad cartridge by all accounts; never had any Grados so I wouldn't know from personal experience. The Orbit looks like a good buy then.

Although this turnatble looks sound as a starter I think you might have to increase your budget a bit unless you are going to get some cheap 'Powered' speakers to go with it. You could look on the second-hand market for an amp and speakers but it can be a bit of a minefield.

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
Well, although my initial thoughts were to get a vintage TT, I decided to take the easy route and get the

Orbit Plus in white.
Sonos Play 5 Wireless speakersArt DJ PreII Phono Preamplifier My wife and I are looking forward to sharing the experience with our younger children with jam sessions and dance partys, house full of women.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts