First time for hifi system

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Only one i know never knew this would be so hard but i suppose everyone has different ears
I think (in the nicest possible way) you need your hand held through this process. I'd advise dropping the Linn fixation and going to Richers with some music to listen to and a pre-booked slot in their demo room - telling them in advance the sort of things we've tried to tease out of you here - room size, budget, what you'll use as source etc etc.

Reactions: plastic penguin

Gray

....and once you've heard the (often) vast differences between speakers, you'll understand why nobody here can make your decision.
When you go to a dealer, they will demo standmount speakers on stands.
Maybe ask them to put them as close to the wall as you intend, to give you a more meaningful demo.

Reactions: plastic penguin

Oxfordian

Hi, go and find your local HiFi dealer, Richer Sounds has been mentioned so presume that they are your local dealer and listen to some different set ups with music you like.

I started my journey in 2021 when I retrieved my old broken and worn out collection from my loft where it had been stored to 20 years (kids, life, space etc., caused it to get up there).

The result was a system that barely worked, the turntable didn't run properly, the amplifier wasn't functioning properly, the CD player worked when I could get the tray to open plus there were a number of other issues, so I started again.

My planed system and final system ended up very different, my local hifi dealer was great in allowing me to demo stuff at home and all of this helped me to build the system I liked rather than the one I had in my mind. The only constant through the process were the speakers which the dealer was adamant that these were the ones I needed, the ones that would give me a sound I liked, and he was right.

Work with the dealer and all being well you can get that system that gives your ears the sound they are waiting to hear. Good luck.

From rock to classical. Less the better, pair speakers they are going on a shelf, and combined amp with inputs for 3 sources, anything in mind?
As you like Linn, maybe a pair of these for around five grand. Only digital inputs though - would that work?

I think (in the nicest possible way) you need your hand held through this process. I'd advise dropping the Linn fixation and going to Richers with some music to listen to and a pre-booked slot in their demo room - telling them in advance the sort of things we've tried to tease out of you here - room size, budget, what you'll use as source etc etc.
That's why I didn't see any point in telling the OP what my kit is. Wasn't being secretive but anyone with little experience is better off going to straight to a dealer, otherwise he'll have a welter of choices.

rainsoothe

Tbh, there's worse places to start than Linn. I'd audition a Linn Majik DSM with whatever speakers the dealer stocks. But I'd look into speakers designed for wall mounting, and go for something like Guru Junior speakers. The Linn Majik DSM only has the possibility to accomodate 1 analogue input (which can be either line lvl or phono preamp), but it has plenty of digital connections (USB included), streamer, decent app and room correction, which imo makes it pretty apropriate for the OP's needs.

Hegel H95 or H120 should also be on the list.

Reactions: nopiano

A-Line

Feb 3, 2022
Visit site
I bought my wife a Revox Joy S119 network receiver and Linn Majik 109 speakers. Sounds very nice!
The network reciever does a lot: FM, DAB, HD radio, Bluetooth, Tidal, ECT.
2 analog inputs/1 out, 2 digital inputs, 2 Optical inputs, speaker terminals( 1 set: left & right), FM/DAB antenna connection, USB port, network computer connection.

ReVox also offers a matching CD player & a turntable for the S119. Might be something for you to check out.

AJM1981

Avoid rear ported speakers, which can be one cause of boomyness.

Now you've given a budget, you should get some recommendations for a shortlist.
But it's important to listen to some options for yourself, better still if you can arrange a home loan before deciding on any purchases.

Formats like the Wharfedale 11.1 and above were bottom ported. The smaller 11.0 was rear ported, probably for the reason it needed a bit from the room in gaining bass output. But the bottom ported ones are also the larger ones and have slightly deeper bass. I own the 11.2 and it is definitely not for small rooms. The 11.1 is guessed by its dimensions a 'could just be' for small rooms, but truly the most fun and useable ones start at the absolute bottom.

The 12.x series is over its range completely rear ported and the 12.0 sounds (in my experience) fantastic in a small room. It is literally much tighter produced than the 11 series and that is audible compared to the Elevens.

I will bring my favorite two stick horses again to the race here..

Madison bookshelf models. They are coded by format and color so it doesnt make much sense giving a type.
madison-mad-bs4wh.jpg

Diamond 12.0 (the winner in this test)
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OYHgiTuTN1Y

Small price tags and far above average in price range quality.

TRENDING THREADS