First time auditioning

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I sorted a place to live this morning and needless to say, after taking the lounge measurements, we headed straight down to the hi fi store. I have been researching like mad over the last week or so, so I had a good idea of what i wanted to listen to.

When i got there it was quite apparent that they only had two sets of speakers out of my short list. They were the monitor audio av systems RS6 and the Radius 270. Before today i had a clear idea of what receiver i wanted too, but that was quickly poo poo'd by the guy in the shop. I had thought that i would get the onkyo 905 as they seem to have a massive following and also great reviews and what have you along with awesome specs. The fella in the shop said that the onkyo would not be so great for the monitor audio kit (and kef stuff he was trying to push) and suggested a yamaha RX-V1800 or a marantz SR7002 saying it was more of a european softer sound which would be better with the monitor audio kit. He also said they would be better for music too.

I just wondered what anyone's views are on here in connection with that statement?? They dont have the 905 in store so i cant do a comparison during the time i have boked on monday when i will be checking out the systems properly.

They did not have any full 5.1 systems from B&W which was slightly annoying because the 685 and 684 are also on my shortlist an maybe these are better paired with the onkyo?

Your thoughts on the above would be very much appreciated.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Don't be pressured into buying without hearing the kit that appeals to you - i'd check the B&W/Onkyo websites for yyour nearest stockist. Who knows, you may prefer the products the first dealer recommended, but at least you'll know you thoroughly reviewed your options.Don't forget to take copies of your favourite music and movies along with you.

A

Anonymous

hmmm

so would you say that you concur with the onkyo/ monitor audio paring then? Will it be too shiny all round or is it the general consensus that onkyo goes well with this kit and that its really down to the individual?

Maybe i should be asking what is the best floor standing (fronts) 5.1 speaker package that goes with the onkyo 905?

i never thought this would be such a complicated process! my head hurts!

A

Anonymous

Nice one clare
emotion-2.gif

would be ok for a room 4.4x5.1m mostly hard furnishings (wood flooring too) apart form a large leather sofa?? Or is that just laughable for a room that size?

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your help guys. So is my room going to be too small for that rig? Its got quite high ceilings too.

Thanks
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

well, i had a few hours in the shop today and had a listen to the following.

Fronts RS6

Centre RSLCR

Rears BR1

Sub R720

Different CD players, an arcam one (not sure which one) and two marantz
ones with the marantz 7***?? ki being the best sounding CD by quite a
bit.

All of it played through a Marantz SR7002.

Sadly, we didn't compare any other items apart form the CD players.

I must admit though, as it stood it all sounded pretty good to me (with movies and music)

Do any of you guys have any comments on the above at all? Wold you say it would be best to stick with silvers all round or will the bronze series be ok for the rears?

With regards to the rest of my short list Im also finding it hard to find somewhere that has it all in stock.

The speakers systems i want to check out are:

RS6 (sounded good today but want to here them with the Onkyo)

Dali Ikon 6 (only thing here is they have wall mounted rears which is a downside for me)

B&W 684

And Receivers

Onkyo

Marantz SR7002 or SR8002

Can anyone point me to a dealer that would have all those in store as
i'm sure its best to hear it all at the same time to really get a feel
for what systems sounds best to me.

Does anyone have any comments re my short list too?

My room is 4.4x5.1, hard wood flooring, large leather sofa and heavy curtains. The rest is hard wood furnishings. Is it a general rule of thumb that a bright sound will be even brighter in harder environments?? The auditioning room today was a very soft and sound proofed affair. Thanks again to all for your help!

user_online.gif

progress.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts