perishedinflames

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Hey all

I'd like your help/suggestions for my first build. I'll try to be as brief and to the point as possible.

My audio source will be my pc (I've ripped all my albums - CDs and vinyls).

The music I listen to varies and when I say varies I mean from classical music to the noisiest stuff there is (e.g. grindcore).

Said that I'm guessing I'll be needing a pair of speakers and an amp that are not favouring any particular genre of music (all-rounder, if there's such a thing). What is more I don't really mind if they're not too loud since my flat is really small so there's no point.

As for the budget, I was thinking somewhere near 350-400 pounds. That should be 100-120 for a pair of speakers and the rest for an amp+soundcard or a DAC? I really don't know.

At first I was thinking speakers+amp+soundcard but then some posts I read proposed a class-T amp instead (for an entry-level system that is) while others insist on usb-DACs so I'm kinda lost as to what I should choose.

Couple of questions on some parts I checked and I'm done:
1. Are the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 the right speakers for me or should I go for active speakers instead?

2. As for the amp I'm considering the Temple Audio Bantam Gold but I'm not sure if that's what I should be looking for.

Anyway that's all from me. Enlighten me :)

P.S. If you believe that my budget is too low or an overkill for what I'm looking for please feel free to say so but keep in mind that I want something decent that doesn't have to be really loud.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Has your PC got an optical out or have you yet to sort a sound card?

do you use itunes at all?

The EPOZ Aktimate Maxi speakers are very good indeed. Powered speakers so no amp needed

if you want amp & speakers I'd personally look at the likes of a Marantz PM6004 or a NAD C320BEE or C326BEE (all second hand)

Speakers I'd be looking at Monitor Audio BX2's, B&W 602 S2's or S3's (again all second hand)

Ebay would be the best place to look :)

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
You could ensure you ripped all the music lossless. That would be the biggest, single improvement you could make.

Then go for some active speakers.

Alternatively go second hand on an amp and speakers.

perishedinflames

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
tnx for the fast replies guys.

d_a_n : I dont have a sound card yet In case I get a usb DAC instead. If the DAC throws me way off budget I'll go for the card.

Joel: it's already lossless :)

perishedinflames

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
So let me get this straight;

What you're all proposing is either

a. soundcard / cheap-ass DAC + active speakers

or

b. high end amp+speakers (which should be second hand since they're way off my budget)

but how about the other options I put on the table?

c. soundcard + class T amp / Bantam Gold + 100 quid speakers(eg Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 , Tannoy Mercury V1)

d. cheap usb DAC + amp + 100 quid speakers

Are the two latter a waste of budget or what?

Reminder: I do NOT need a big bang off the system since I won't be able to max-out the volume. I just need quality over volume.

gramps23

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Of all the options suggested so far, I would be most tempted by davedotco's - the Adam's are seriously good sounding speakers, and perched on top of some decent second hand stands (like the Atacama SE24s, about £30 on ebay), will provide you with an excellent system for your money.

With reference to the last two options above, the Adams will certainly give you a superior sound to any 100 quid speakers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts