First reflection question

skutters

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi All,

As you can see from the pictures my small room where I hide away from her indoors is quite small and has french doors either side of the speakers, will curtains make any difference to first reflection I have them on the outer door but not the inner. As I can't have anything permanent I was toying with the idea of making a pair of DIY absorbing panels on legs that I could put in place when listening to music. Also does tackling first reflection really make much difference to the sound and should I cover the TV with something also. I ask this as lots of people say that sorting out room reflections can make a big difference to sound quality.

Thanks for any replies,. Kev.

Attachments

• 16784541150641005345670.jpg
    16784541150641005345670.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 36
  • 16784543526891219958521.jpg
    16784543526891219958521.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 35

skutters

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
As you have curtains on the LHS (as you look at the speakers) you could try by hanging a duvet over the french doors on the RHS of the speakers and see what effect that gives you. Cheap, quick and easy to try - if you are a duvet type household.
Thanks, yes we are Duvet people 😁 would be bit awkward though as they are quite heavy and would mean having the door slightly open which I don't really want but just to see if there is any difference could be worth trying.

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
Get Headphones or just enjoy the music as is.

No point getting anal about it. I just moved house. From a square lounge to a longer but narrower one with Windows on both sides. It sounds a little different but no less enjoyable. I will upload some pics later.

Unless you want your room to resemble a padded cell I wouldn't bother.

Last edited:
I’d definitely experiment as already suggested, but first reflection points are a given in most rooms, especially if like you and me, we listen along the length of the room. If you listen across then the wall might be two metres away, so probably not important.

What difference in sound do you detect with the left-side curtains closed? Because your KEFs are such benign speakers I wouldn’t be surprised if there was next to no difference, especially as you’ve got them nicely toed-in.

Last edited:

skutters

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I’d definitely experiment as already suggested, but first reflection points are a given in most rooms, especially if like you and me, we listen along the length of the room. If you listen across the the wall might be two metres away, so probably not important.

What difference in sound do you detect with the left-side curtains closed? Because your KEFs are such benign speakers I wouldn’t be surprised if there was next to no difference, especially as you’ve got them nicely toed-on.
Hi, I have just spent the last hour or so listening with the curtains over and a blanket covering the inner doors, don't know if it's just me trying to convince myself there was a difference but I am pretty sure there was, I played the same song a number of times with the doors covered and uncovered I just felt that it sounded nicer for want of a better word, it just sounded tighter but it could just be psychological. On a side note I don't have the speakers toed in all that much I have found the sound is better with them firing down the flanks of my chair. Another thing being I am still getting used to them a bit only had them 2 weeks they are the Kef R3 Meta.

Gray

I just felt that it sounded nicer for want of a better word, it just sounded tighter
True, you were listening for it - but I really don't think it was your imagination.
'Tighter' (focused) is a good description of what happens to the sound when reverb is eliminated (as much as it can be).
Anyone that swaps cables before doing it....mad.

skutters

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
True, you were listening for it - but I really don't think it was your imagination.
'Tighter' (focused) is a good description of what happens to the sound when reverb is eliminated (as much as it can be).
Anyone that swaps cables before doing it....mad.
Ha Ha, yeah I certainly wouldn't be going down the cable route, but let's not open that can of worms.😂

Reactions: Gray
Hi, I have just spent the last hour or so listening with the curtains over and a blanket covering the inner doors, don't know if it's just me trying to convince myself there was a difference but I am pretty sure there was, I played the same song a number of times with the doors covered and uncovered I just felt that it sounded nicer for want of a better word, it just sounded tighter but it could just be psychological. On a side note I don't have the speakers toed in all that much I have found the sound is better with them firing down the flanks of my chair. Another thing being I am still getting used to them a bit only had them 2 weeks they are the Kef R3 Meta.
If you like them better firing straight, then I would infer from that you like a more diffuse image - and that includes reflections from side walls. Nothing wrong with that!

I tend to prefer speakers more directed at me, but then I like vocalists and instruments to sound like 'solid objects' an that tends to focus the sound more.

I'd suggest not worrying too much at first, and just enjoy getting used to them. But if they're on trial, good luck!

skutters

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
If you like them better firing straight, then I would infer from that you like a more diffuse image - and that includes reflections from side walls. Nothing wrong with that!

I tend to prefer speakers more directed at me, but then I like vocalists and instruments to sound like 'solid objects' an that tends to focus the sound more.

I'd suggest not worrying too much at first, and just enjoy getting used to them. But if they're on trial, good luck!
Yes thanks, I haven't definitely decided on the toe in amount as yet still experimenting as I do like vocalists myself, I have bought them I had a pair of Dynaudio Special 40's and Proac Response D2r on trail the Proac sounded great in their bigger demo room but didn't work in my small room. I thought I would get the Dynaudio as they were really nice, when I took the Proac back they suggested I give a brand new speaker they had just got in a try also which was the Kef R3 Meta. So trying them both in my room for 4 days I went with the Kef, the Dynaudio were nicer with a more melodic type of music as they were warmer sounding and the finish was lovely, but because I listen to all types of music there just wasn't enough difference to spend the extra £900 on them. I am happy with the Kef's I think they are excellent for the price.

matthewpianist

Yes thanks, I haven't definitely decided on the toe in amount as yet still experimenting as I do like vocalists myself, I have bought them I had a pair of Dynaudio Special 40's and Proac Response D2r on trail the Proac sounded great in their bigger demo room but didn't work in my small room. I thought I would get the Dynaudio as they were really nice, when I took the Proac back they suggested I give a brand new speaker they had just got in a try also which was the Kef R3 Meta. So trying them both in my room for 4 days I went with the Kef, the Dynaudio were nicer with a more melodic type of music as they were warmer sounding and the finish was lovely, but because I listen to all types of music there just wasn't enough difference to spend the extra £900 on them. I am happy with the Kef's I think they are excellent for the price.

A great demonstration of why listening to prospective new speakers in your own room is so important.

Ultimately, if you are enjoying the sound without modifying anything in the room, don't bother. You'd be better off spending the time enjoying your music.

I'd suggest trying the experiment a few more times before you decide whether or not you are being swayed by expectation bias. These things can make a difference, but we also all have to fit our equipment into our domestic spaces.

skutters

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
A great demonstration of why listening to prospective new speakers in your own room is so important.

Ultimately, if you are enjoying the sound without modifying anything in the room, don't bother. You'd be better off spending the time enjoying your music.

I'd suggest trying the experiment a few more times before you decide whether or not you are being swayed by expectation bias. These things can make a difference, but we also all have to fit our equipment into our domestic spaces.
Yes thanks I was quite surprised how different the Proac's were in my room, we already had plans to fully redecorate the room in a few months time so all I will do is get a pair of heavy duty curtains for the inner doors which we were thinking about anyway so could be win win.😁

Reactions: matthewpianist

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts