First post - £500 old school system challenge

GMK

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
Hi everyone, first post so apologies if I sound a little basic in my knowledge (I've been out of the What Hifi loop for years, I used to collect it religiously)

The time has come for me to invest in some separates finally, after many years of a trusty What Hifi award winning JVC Mini system

I'm looking to spend £500 or there abouts on a CD player, amp, and speakers.

Back when I last paid attention to this the rave reviews were for Kef Coda 7's, Mission 751's, Marantz CD63 Mk2 KI's........

So I was thinking maybe old school used equipment might be the best bet to maximise my options. If newer items are better, then I'm all for it!
emotion-11.gif

I want a detailed system, but not at the expense of musicality, and a decent soundstage would be nice

So far I've been recommended a Nad C370 amp, Cyrus cd6 or Marantz CD63 Mk2 KI CD player, and Mission 753 Freedoms (I know this is likely to overshoot my budget but if it's worth the extra I can delay slightly)

It's for my bedroom, a fairly large double room (exact size to be confirmed...)

What would you suggest?

Thanks in advance
emotion-15.gif

john dolan

Dec 20, 2008
Visit site
Good kit but old audiolab 8000a or even better a 8000s then to add some warmth a arcam afla + cd player or similar and epos es11 or 12s.Pioneer a400 with rotel 965 cd player mission 780s.Cyrus3 cyrus cd7 and the best speakers you can add to that with what funds you have left.Plenty of other combinations that work well so its what you come across withing budget really.Or if you want new kit with warranty im sure richersounds could put together something decent for 500.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
At well under budget, Superfi's tailor-made is always a great bet -

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/3856

and at less than 350 delivered, it's a stonking deal, and would leave you enough spare for speaker stands (something not to be omitted for the best sound).

Whilst I believe in 2nd hand amps and speakers, I would have to air a word of caution on CD players.

I have an Alpha 6, and have already had to replace the drawer mechanism myself (the part cost me 18 pounds, I dread to think how much it would have cost to get someone to fit it), and lasers units of this age are no longer manufactured - so if they fail, you bin the player.

A

Anonymous

Maybe not old school, but my first seperates consisted of a NAD C325BEE amp and C515BEE CD player, both bought from Richer Sounds. They will normally throw in a pair of speakers as part of the deal, so I would suggest a visit is very worthwhile. And you will meet your budget. I have to say, the quality of the NAD sound is excellent.

GMK

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
fatboyslimfast:At well under budget, Superfi's tailor-made is always a great bet - http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/3856 and at less than 350 delivered, it's a stonking deal, and would leave you enough spare for speaker stands (something not to be omitted for the best sound). Whilst I believe in 2nd hand amps and speakers, I would have to air a word of caution on CD players. I have an Alpha 6, and have already had to replace the drawer mechanism myself (the part cost me 18 pounds, I dread to think how much it would have cost to get someone to fit it), and lasers units of this age are no longer manufactured - so if they fail, you bin the player.

Would you recommend the Superfi set up over the set up I suggested in my first post? The Cyrus cd& I mentioned is in very good condition (it's a friends)

The superfi set up looks nice, but I wasn't sure if it was more of a budget system and that I'd get better quality buying 2nd hand components

Thanks for the replies so far guys

T

the record spot

The used kit is better by far. No disrespect to the Superfi gear or to the poster who suggested it, but the Mission 753s alone are worth the price of admission. The Cyrus kit you can have upgraded should you wish, so there is back-up on tap and I'd look to that over the CD63 option if age bothers you.

The NAD amp would be a good match I think and would drive the Missions well - don't skimp here; the Missions need a good source and a good bit of power to do them justice.

I think you could have a fine system and if you can do that for £500 notes, good for you. Used 753s alone tend to come anywhere between £250 and £300 alone so if you ca' canny you could walk away with a pretty clever deal here.

On its' own, the Superfi system is a great budget started system, but side by side the used gear would be my preference, assuming that the condition and working order are not in question.

GMK

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
In terms of quality, is the Cyrus CD6 markedly better than the Marantz CD63 Mk2 KI?

I think I'm sold on the NAD C370 amp, but I've just had some more speaker ideas thrown into the mix to confuse me further. Namely Quad 11L's, Kef IQ5's, Ruark Talisman II's, and a wildcard of Mission M74's (the worst of the bunch?)

If the difference in quality is really worth it, I could buy it piece by piece maybe. I've heard really good things about the Talisman II's

Sorry for all the questions, I just wanted to get it right first time
emotion-1.gif

T

the record spot

Well, for the new batch of speakers, my ranking in order of best to least would be Ruark Talisman's, Quad 11Ls, then the KEFs and lastly the M74s. Not particularly bad speakers, but licked by the other three IMO. Include the 753s in that list and they'd be on or about the Talisman's I think.

As for the CD63 KI vs. Cyrus gear, my only concern would be the age of the Marantz against the newer CD6. The upgrade potential of the Cyrus gear has obvious appeal too. There's always the risk that the laser or transport assembly are getting close to the end of their working life, so by all means go for that, but factor in the cost of replacements and labour costs if you're not likely to be doing that bit of DIY!

As for getting it right first time, the best of British on that little nugget...!

EDIT: Try and have a listen to this kit if you can - plenty out there have been caught up in the thrill of the chase and getting a good deal and buy a dud!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts