Firmware updates

super

Apr 7, 2009
Visit site
I wonder if anyone could tell that if during a firmware update for a TV or blu ray player, if there was a drop out on internet would this brick the player ? Or is it a power failure that would do this, or both. I get occasional drop out and knowing my luck it would happen during an update.

D

Deleted member 2457

TV updates are fine from what I know, I once turned my TV off because I forgot it was updating and it didn’t wreck it or anything. I have heard with Oppo Blu-ray players that wireless firmware updates can brick it, so if possible I would download the file to a usb stick and then download it that way. I did this for the first 3 updates of my 203 Oppo player and everything was great. I did the wireless one once and it hasn’t worked as well since.

D

Deleted member 2457

I would do it again now though because it’s a pain to do it by usb stick. Most Blu-ray players I think are fine though.

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
kept coming up with an error when I tried to update it via a wired network connection, the only way in the end was to do it via usb stick, strangley the manual for my a/v amp suggests updating via usb stick even though it has a network connection at the back.

I did have a Sony bluray player that did update ok over a network connection, took less than 5 mins I think to download, install and restart.

my advice is, if your internet connection isn't that stable then do it via usb.

*music2*

ps. regarding power failures, the chances of it happening during updating are very slim so I wouldn't worry about it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts