Finally - powerfull HDMI stereo receiver

itsme

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
Ik know there are some stereo receivers with HDMI, from Pioneer and Onkyo. Only those where life-style products.

Now the 8050/8150 has been updated to the TX-8270 and has HDMI.

finally a powerfull solution with HDMI

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Fair play, although the power ratings are "creative" to say the least: 2 x 160 W (6 Ohms, 1 kHz, 1%, 1 channel driven)

If anyone's thinking of driving one channel only in a stereo amp at 1% THD, then it could be the ideal product. Your speakers may not think so of course. At least when you blow the first speaker, you'll have a spare one at the ready. Any why would you want to play MUSIC? Surely it's far more satisfying to play test tones at 1 KHz.

For HDMI stereo, also see Naim's latest Uniti range (£100 cost option), the Arcam SR250 & Linn Sneaky DSM. Or any multi-channel AVR of course.

manicm

Leeps said:
Fair play, although the power ratings are "creative" to say the least: 2 x 160 W (6 Ohms, 1 kHz, 1%, 1 channel driven)

If anyone's thinking of driving one channel only in a stereo amp at 1% THD, then it could be the ideal product. Your speakers may not think so of course. At least when you blow the first speaker, you'll have a spare one at the ready. Any why would you want to play MUSIC? Surely it's far more satisfying to play test tones at 1 KHz.

For HDMI stereo, also see Naim's latest Uniti range (£100 cost option), the Arcam SR250 & Linn Sneaky DSM. Or any multi-channel AVR of course.

If I'm correct Naim's HDMI option is for passthrough only - actually HDMI ARC input for TV.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I know I was taking the mick above, but actually it's a jolly useful product. There ought to be more like this from Onkyo's competitors. On board Tidal, internet radio and HDMI make this a real Swiss Army Knife amp.

The main advantage with multiple HDMI inputs and one ARC-HDMI output is the you only need one connecting lead between the amp & TV. Without this all HDMI sources have their own leads to the TV, then optical out to your stereo amp. This can get messy if you want to wall-mount your TV.

So, a handy product. Just more realistic power ratings please. Noticed WHF review doesn't help, "320w total power output"!! Really? You'd expect that from a non-tech newspaper review, but WHF should add some kind of disclaimer before quoting gumpf like that.

itsme

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
Hi Leeps, you are right. An other review magazine said this: Onkyo TX-8150: True power
If you have already looked at the technical specifications of this Onkyo TX-8150, you have probably noticed that the manufacturer advertises a power of 135 Watts. Once again, remember to be careful with numbers as far as Watts are concerned. While the Onkyo does have the capacity to deliver 135 Watts, it is on one channel at 1 kHz and with a distortion 12 times over the hi-fi standard. In stereo, ranging from 20 Hz to 20 kHz, with a 0.08% distortion rate, the power is 2×55 Watts. This is more than enough for the vast majority of compact and floor-standing midrange speakers.

The TX-8270 will be like 2x65 W

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
By the look of it they finally added a fully functioning USB input as opposed to the crippled one on the 8150.

Seems to do just about everything and as its an Onkyo, should sound good.

Not looked into the power figures but I think its slightly more than the old model so should be good for about 2 x70w or so in real use. Plenty enough for most.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Leeps said:
I know I was taking the mick above, but actually it's a jolly useful product.  There ought to be more like this from Onkyo's competitors.  On board Tidal, internet radio and HDMI make this a real Swiss Army Knife amp.

The main advantage with multiple HDMI inputs and one ARC-HDMI output is the you only need one connecting lead between the amp & TV.  Without this all HDMI sources have their own leads to the TV, then optical out to your stereo amp.  This can get messy if you want to wall-mount your TV.  

So, a handy product.  Just more realistic power ratings please.  Noticed WHF review doesn't help, "320w total power output"!!  Really?  You'd expect that from a non-tech newspaper review, but WHF should add some kind of disclaimer before quoting gumpf like that.

As a hifi related magazine they create the buzz and excitement so people buy the magazine. Sales sales sales is the goal at any cost.
'This hifi rack looks the part but could do with better bass'

I rest my case.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts