Finally decided on a LCD! Can someone please help with Calibration?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
UPDATE!!! (25th Jan)
Having decided on the Toshiba 42Z3030DB model I have never had to calibrate a set before so would really appreciates someone pointing me in the general direction of a rough calibration guide so that I have something to work off of? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thx!

A

Anonymous

From what you will be watching, sport, normal dvd's, Sky+ I feel a plasma would suit you better. BUT plasma's are thin on the ground at 46", a 50" Panasonic?
And you don't need 1080p for the PS3 I havn't and don't miss it, especially at 42" in a room of your size. 46" you may start to see the benefit. How far are you away from the set?
Another point to consider is that the majority of your viewing seems to be standard def, apart from PS3. From what i've seen 1080p sets do not handle standard def as well as 720p sets, more processing, scaling involved you see. Just my thoughts.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
It's a shame you missed our Jan issue, where we did a Group Test of 46in TVs (Back issues on 08456 777813, if you want to read the full test). I can't wait until we have all our reviews online (April, BTW)....

Here were the runners (all Full HD) and ratings:

Test winner - Samsung LE46F86 - stunning-value set; 3 HDMI. Five stars

Sony KDL-46X3500 - slightly better than the Samsung in some ways, but pricier; 3 HDMI. Five stars.

Philips 47PFL9623D - complete with contrast-boosting Ambilight. 3HDMI. Five stars.

LG 47LF65 - great value option. 2 HDMI. Four stars.

Toshiba 47Z3030D - the best-sounding in the test, but can't match picture of best. 3HDMI. Four stars.

Sharp LC-46XL2E - only average for sound and vision. 3HDMI. Three stars

Sanyo CE47FD51 - lacklustre performance. 2 HDMI. Two stars.

Hope this helps - any other questions, please ask!

A

Anonymous

UPDATE!!! :
Thanks for all your help guys. really appreciated!
Have narrowed it to 3 companies: Samsung, Toshiba or Sharp
And either 42 or 46". Will probably be buying from Curry's, Comet etc so what would you guys suggest?
Would love to hear some reviews of actual owners of sets made by these companies please!
Thanks again!

A

Anonymous

have changed first post to reflect latest developments! Any/all help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Am puzzled why Sharp is still on your shortlist - its recent TVs have all been no better than average. You can buy a far superior set for the money. And it's not just us saying this - the reviews have been the same from just about everyone.

And Toshiba's only one step up from that, with an average four-star rating. Very good, but again, you can buy better.

I'd go for the Samsung LE46F86 if you can stretch to it - the extra size and ability would be an excellent investment in your enjoyment.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your help Clare. Had kinda ruled out the Sharp after last couple of days reading loads of reviews!

Might just be able to stretch to the price of the Samsung 46. Any other suitable suggestions?

Thanks again! ;)

A

Anonymous

Fully agree the W3000 is better than mostly all other contenders out there, yes it's a bit more pricey, but you get what you pay for. X3000 is better again, but personally i'm not a fan of the styling...

A

Anonymous

Plumped for the Tosh 42X3030DB, but might need some pointers with calibration if anyone can help please! I know everyone's preferences are different but if someone could point me in the directionof a rough calibration guide I would be eternally grateful cos at the moment PS3 games and blu ray movies look amazing but Sky and SD's aren't so hot! Thanks in advance! ;)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts