Final word on cables? Doubtful

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

RobinKidderminster said:

They don't mention fuses or wooden coned feet, and I'm having sleepless nights worrying that poor quality fuses, and the original feet are damaging my hi-fi equipment, and impairing my ability to think logically.

Sod it, I'm going to sell my amplifier to raise the funds for those new fuses. Ahhhhh!! But then I won't have an amplifier to put the new fuses in. Will this vicious circle never end?????

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
If you read the full report all they have done is tested off the spool wire - not actually fully constructed speaker cables which are not just off the spool.

The few they recommend to buy are all identical surely they can see they are all the same in different labelling.

That proves nothing to me - certainly not the last word.

So it you want to run miles of wire for a discrete install it might help you -

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
ellisdj said:
If you read the full report all they have done is tested off the spool wire - not actually fully constructed speaker cables which are not just off the spool.

The few they recommend to buy are all identical surely they can see they are all the same in different labelling.

That proves nothing to me - certainly not the last word.

So it you want to run miles of wire for a discrete install it might help you -

Agreed the article.is not clear which cables they tested. And ignore advertising bias at our peril. A half decent article never the less.

abacus

Hi Fi Cable manufactures do not make cable, (This is done in large manufacturing plants and stored on spools which get sent out to the customer) they just buy a spool of cable and some connectors, them make then into lengths. (Chop one of these expensive cables apart then show the internals to your local electrical wholesaler, who will then supply you with a spool of identical cable for a fraction of the price)

Why are Hi Fi Nuts so gullible?

Bill

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
They are not just off the spool cables generally - there is a big variety of make up using different sources of the actual cables as well different construction. Obviosuly this makes no difference to the no difference brigade.

I did a big study for my A Level on a cable manufacturing plant near where I live and I saw first hand what goes on there. It was quite precision stuff, knocking out miles of cables

Noone is under the illusion a hifi cable sellers has its own manufacturing plant like this - is not about that to me anyway. But if you compare Cardas bare wire that you can buy to Audio note bare wire to the cheap stuff thats in the article here its quite different.

Its about whats choosen to use and how its put together - you can buy off the spool type stuff from loads of places, I am sure some companies jusy go over the top of that with a screen or another jacket. But not all do.

I can easily make my own, I know what I would use and why I would use it, However I wouldnt do it better than some I know I can buy, so I bought them instead

If I had to replace them I know what I would be looking for or I would just buy CheLa from VH Audio and finish them off with Furutech or WBT.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Of course not Trev C - there is no difference in anything - might as well just have all cheap stuff and be content thats the best it can get..... not in my experience its not

TrevC

ellisdj said:
Of course not Trev C - there is no difference in anything - might as well just have all cheap stuff and be content thats the best it can get..... not in my experience its not

As long as the connection is satisfactorily made the method of connection is not relevant. That isn't the same thing as saying there is no difference in anything as well you know.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Both of your 'brigades' (ellis's unfortunate description) are getting very tiresome.

TrevC is right but #### me he's tedious! Although TBH the subject itself is tedious and I suppose it can't be helped.

The debate has probably been going on since QED 79 strand was launched in 1973 and surely it's time to end it now, after 43 years?

Why not find something newer to debate? Like analogue vs digital. (That one is only 33 years old and positively 'minty fresh' in comparison.)

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

chebby said:
Both of your 'brigades' (ellis's unfortunate description) are getting very tiresome.

TrevC is right but #### me he's tedious! Although TBH the subject itself is tedious and I suppose it can't be helped.

The debate has probably been going on since QED 79 strand was launched in 1973 and surely it's time to end it now, after 43 years?

Why not find something newer to debate? Like analogue vs digital. (That one is only 33 years old and positively 'minty fresh' in comparison.)

*biggrin*

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Final word on cables thread - what shall we debate - whats the best toilet roll?

Noone one forces anyone else to read a thread

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
A little contradictory too. An HDMI cable either "works or it doesn't", which I suppose is technically true. Oh wait, you can get sparklies, which is apparently on the verge of not working...

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
TrevC said:
David@FrankHarvey said:
A little contradictory too. An HDMI cable either "works or it doesn't", which I suppose is technically true. Oh wait, you can get sparklies, which is apparently on the verge of not working...

No, that would be not working. :O)
But you can still see a picture, so it is working :)

It's called not working properly.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Rather than arguing (that different cables can have audible differences) I now firmly believe that folks that can't hear a difference either ...

... have under developed musical hearing, in other words are cloth eared and thus completely wasting their time on here or ...

... have systems that are simply not revealing enough and thus perhaps completely wasting their time on here unless genuinly wanting to upgrade ...

... or, even worse, both.

There you go. Nice afternoon :)

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
What an embarrassingly poor article.

Opening gambit: "....true copper speaker wire will give you the same sound quality as any exotic formulation....". Ermmm... wrong. The more exotic cable may well be "different", even if it cannot be "better". Then they completely contradict this later in the article.

"....at longer distances (about 15 feet or more) not enough signal will get to your TV or projector to create an image....". Hmmm... I had better rip out all of those 20m (65ft) long HDMI cables I have all over my house then. They seem to work perfectly but apparently they can't.

A load of truth mixed in with a load of old tosh.

drummerman said:
Rather than arguing (that different cables can have audible differences) I now firmly believe that folks that can't hear a difference either ...

... have under developed musical hearing, in other words are cloth eared and thus completely wasting their time on here or ...

... have systems that are simply not revealing enough and thus perhaps completely wasting their time on here unless genuinly wanting to upgrade ...

Well said Sir, it makes more sense than TrevorC. :)

Gazzip said:
What an embarrassingly poor article.

Opening gambit: "....true copper speaker wire will give you the same sound quality as any exotic formulation....". Ermmm... wrong. The more exotic cable may well be "different", even if it cannot be "better". Then they completely contradict this later in the article.

"....at longer distances (about 15 feet or more) not enough signal will get to your TV or projector to create an image....". Hmmm... I had better rip out all of those 20m (65ft) long HDMI cables I have all over my house then. They seem to work perfectly but apparently they can't.

A load of truth mixed in with a load of old tosh.

Maybe they were referring to that particular HDMI cable they declared a winner. ;-)

TrevC

drummerman said:

Different cables can have audible differences. Speaker cables if they are not adequately low resistance for the job, for example.

Some people are ignorant of how things work.

Worse than that, they refuse to even try to understand, relying on anecdotal special pleading coupled with numerous insults and their unshakable belief they have special hearing that allows them to hear differences that simply are not there. In a properly executed double blind test like the one below they would all fail spectacularly.

http://matrixhifi.com/ENG_contenedor_ppec.htm

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts