Final tweaks: cables for Icon - Musical Fidelity - ATC system

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

So many cables out there that I could do with some suggestions to get the most out of my system!

The source is an Icon Audio CD-X1 Signature (valve cd player) via Atlas Titan interconnect into an Icon LA4MKII Signature valve pre-amp. Between the pre and power, which is a Musical Fidelity A5cr, I've got an inexpensive pure copper interconnect. I'm biwiring my ATC SCM40 speakers with Atlas Hyper 2 running to the bass driver, and some very thick multistranded copper going to the tweeter and mid.

The inexpensive copper stuff is in there for purely tonal reasons. I had tried using Titan interconnects for both stages but though that extracted even more detail and produced astonishing imaging it tipped the treble slightly over into 'harshness'.

It's sounding lovely as it is but I have a sense that there's even more potential in there that could be brought out by the right cables and perhaps some other minor tweaks.

It may be my 46-year-old tinnitis-riddled ears but I absolutely have to have a smooth upper treble, though I also want good detail and imaging. Ok, I admit it, I want it all, but don't want to pay the earth for it!

So, suggestions will be gratefully entertained.

Finally, there's been a lot of debate on this forum about the SCM40s and how to drive them. Having owned them now for over a year and trialed myriad amplification options I would say make sure your amp has a 'high damping factor'. The Musical Fidelity has a damping factor of 170 and does a pretty good job with the ATCs. I'd previously bi-amped them with a pair of Arcam P90s, which was also fine but a bit thinner tonally than the Musical Fidelity.

Hi Gena

I'll suggest using basic interconnects between your CD player, pre and power amplifiers. For speaker cables standard 79 strand OFC or at a push 500 strand OFC.

Btw, i'll also suggest that you single wire your SCM40 monitors and to use the connecting links supplied.

Merry Christmas

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your suggestions, Rick.

Merry Christmas to you too!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts