FILTERS AND CONDITIONERS

gasolin

Clean electricity to improve the performance of your audio-video system.

TAGA PF-600 or TAGA PF-1000 V2 could be my next hifi purchase but is it any good ?

Dynavox makes somthing even cheaper like the X4100 Power Strip

Can they be use with a normal hifi power mains or do they have to be used with a 10a or 15a power cable ?

3ac9051c4090bbe99c047aaacf505fe5.jpeg

dynavox-x4100-hifi-filter-8-schuko-black.jpg

Gray

Can they be use with a normal hifi power mains or do they have to be used with a 10a or 15a power cable ?
It depends on the total load of your plugged in components.
Just add together the quoted wattage of all of them then divide that figure by the mains voltage in your country.
A 5 amp lead is likely to be more than enough to cover it.
(That X4100 has its own 10A trip - so no point in using any lead rated above 10A to supply that).

abacus

So long as the cable you use has a rating at or above what the appliance is rated at, then that is all you need. (You don’t need one that matches the appliance exactly so long as its rating is equal or greater)
Personally I would avoid conditioners and just stick with anti-surge extensions, or if you are really worried about the mains go for a mains re-generator, this is because the more you put in a circuit, the more chance there is of a fault occurring and is thus not clever with mains voltages.
Avoid expensive fancy cables (Unless you are going for looks) as they make no difference to the equipment. (Plus if you open most of them up the cheap tat that is inside them is worse than something you get from the pound shop)

Bill

TrevC

Clean electricity to improve the performance of your audio-video system.

TAGA PF-600 or TAGA PF-1000 V2 could be my next hifi purchase but is it any good ?

Dynavox makes somthing even cheaper like the X4100 Power Strip

3ac9051c4090bbe99c047aaacf505fe5.jpeg

dynavox-x4100-hifi-filter-8-schuko-black.jpg
These things do absolutely nothing for performance. Just buy a normal extension socket strip.

Not meaning to be controversial, but unless one has a noisy mains power supply. Will a mains conditioner make a difference to the sound quality of the hi-fi equipment?
You may not mean to be controversial but some will see it as such.
Very much a try before you buy situation I feel.
They all profess to provide a clean supply but you cannot clean what isn't there in the first place.

Tinman1952

You may not mean to be controversial but some will see it as such.
Very much a try before you buy situation I feel.
They all profess to provide a clean supply but you cannot clean what isn't there in the first place.
I doubt anyone living in an urban environment has a 'clean' supply. I remember many years ago at work having a mains supply monitor on my office PC and the changes in actual voltage supplied over a few days was quite an eye opener! Plus it's not just the 'external' noise.... Anyone ever heard a 'pop' through their speakers as a fridge or heater turns on?
Ever wondered why your system sounds so good at 3am in the morning when most of your neighbours are asleep....?

I doubt anyone living in an urban environment has a 'clean' supply. I remember many years ago at work having a mains supply monitor on my office PC and the changes in actual voltage supplied over a few days was quite an eye opener! Plus it's not just the 'external' noise.... Anyone ever heard a 'pop' through their speakers as a fridge or heater turns on?
Ever wondered why your system sounds so good at 3am in the morning when most of your neighbours are asleep....?
Perhaps I am lucky enough to be UK rural.... :)
To be honest I think if your supply is bad enough to be noticeable you are going to need a mains regenerator ..... And they aren't cheap.

abacus

Voltage variations are normal, and if you look at the equipment they are designed for this variation, thus they are not affected by it.
If the suppressor fails on a piece of equipment (Get it repaired) then it can send spikes into the mains, however a simple surge suppressor extension block will prevent any of it getting through to the equipment.
The reason it sounds better a 3am has nothing to do with the mains, it is because the ambient noise level is lower allowing the ear to hear a much more natural (Less strained) dynamic range.

Bill

Reactions: WayneKerr

Tinman1952

the idea of mains improving if the neighbours are asleep is a tad odd, my nearest neighbour is a good way away and hardly likely to affect my supply and as to pops from fridge or heating? No, not here.
Not at all as it means their electrical devices are switched off. Try living in a built up area or an apartment block....

robdmarsh

Any suggestion what to buy ?
I've got the Tacima mains conditioner from Amazon, £36. For me it's made quite a difference to my sound and in a good way. I was amazed really, and cos it's Amazon if you don't like it just send it back! I can feel other voices on here about to say I'm deluding myself but I'm happy. I was going to do an AB sound comparison but the difference was so obvious to the standard mains extension I never bothered

D

Deleted member 195594

I don't own a mains conditioner or anything like that, just a non filtered mains block, but what I found I had to buy was some kind of DC blocker.

Everytime my much better half or son used the hair dryer, my system sounded like a swarm of angry bees had moved in. It wasn't subtle. I bought the DC Blocker from ifi. Worked a treat, no more bees 👍.

Reactions: Tinman1952

abacus

I don't own a mains conditioner or anything like that, just a non filtered mains block, but what I found I had to buy was some kind of DC blocker.

Everytime my much better half or son used the hair dryer, my system sounded like a swarm of angry bees had moved in. It wasn't subtle. I bought the DC Blocker from ifi. Worked a treat, no more bees 👍.

Get the hair dryer fixed pronto.

Bill

Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts