Films: Best horror film?

I remember that the original Alien scared the whatsits out of me at the cinema, with the darkness and oppressive feel. And that famous scene! But I’ve seen so few I’m not really best placed to judge.

The first time I saw Hitchcock’s The Birds I felt pretty spooked too,

Reactions: WayneKerr

WayneKerr

I remember that the original Alien scared the whatsits out of me at the cinema, with the darkness and oppressive feel. And that famous scene! But I’ve seen so few I’m not really best placed to judge.

The first time I saw Hitchcock’s The Birds I felt pretty spooked too,
Me too with the original Alien. First time I ever saw a film like this on the big screen, it scared me so much I couldn't unlock my car I was shaking that much afterwards. Even now I have trouble watching this one on the small screen.

Ditto regarding your comments about The Birds.

Not really a horror movie fan so doubt I'll be contributing much to this thread.

I love An American Werewolf in London too - never bettered as a blend of horror and humour. Never has a good film had a worse sequel, though.
There’s a number of films from the 20th century that stand out as the best for their sub genre, despite being 30, 40, sometimes 50 years old and haven’t been bettered to this day - American Werewolf being one of them, despite some decent modern werewolf movies.

Reactions: Alantiggger

jjbomber

There's a horror film due out next week that's really scary. It's about a company that targets insecure show-offs with vastly overpriced products. Once you are trapped in their Eco-system, they fleece all your money by forcing you to pay extra for adaptors by making everything incompatible with the real world. They enlist journalists to brainwash gullible readers. It's really, really scary. September 7th at 6pm.

Waiting for that on 4k - should arrive soon. It feels as though it could have been slightly better-made, but it's a good 'un.
It was fairly low budget for what it was really. It’s just a shame that loads of footage that was cut was lost, otherwise it would’ve been reinstated for the Shout Factory release last year, and likely the new 4K release.

The 4K release looks very good when the film allows - like many older films, there’s some scenes that look a rough compared to the better looking scenes, but it looks as good as it is likely to now.

It was fairly low budget for what it was really. It’s just a shame that loads of footage that was cut was lost, otherwise it would’ve been reinstated for the Shout Factory release last year, and likely the new 4K release.

The 4K release looks very good when the film allows - like many older films, there’s some scenes that look a rough compared to the better looking scenes, but it looks as good as it is likely to now.
I was thinking about this sort of thing earlier - Alien probably looks better now than it was able to be reproduced in most cinemas back in the day, and certainly sounds better.

Going back to AAWIL, I also love Dog Soldiers - another great blend of horror with humour.

Reactions: davidf

Bloke

BANNED
Apr 4, 2022
Visit site
Hmmm... I'd disagree. Older flicks just aren't scary at all IMHO, even if they're often still watchable. Alien meanwhile is a masterpiece and a far better film than Sinister, but ultimately less creepy and chilling (its raison d'etre, surely?). I have mixed feelings about Event Horizon... it's certainly compelling but seems like Sam Neill carries the film single-handedly. I would argue that the best horror comes from videogames. The Evil Within 2 is superb for those who haven't tried it.

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
Me too with the original Alien. First time I ever saw a film like this on the big screen, it scared me so much I couldn't unlock my car I was shaking that much afterwards. Even now I have trouble watching this one on the small screen.

Ditto regarding your comments about The Birds.

Not really a horror movie fan so doubt I'll be contributing much to this thread.
lol, you wimp. (no offence, just being silly)

Reactions: WayneKerr

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
I think I'd have to add The Exorcist to this - I didn't care for it back in the day, but have got more from it with re-watchings.

I can remember back to when we all simply watched video tapes and doing the illegal round was The Exorcist and it was a crazy uncut version, MEGA SCARY as that girl not only came down the stairs in and upside down position but also was ON THE VER Ceiling, plus a few other things not good to mention in here tbh.

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
I can’t remember exactly why they said it was cut now, but it was something like running time (there was a fair amount of it) or rating. Some crap reason.

Certainly not a rubbish reason.....I'm not actually too sure all the footage would even make it in today. The lost footage is seen in the movie in segments, where the previous crew are mutilating themselves, it was seen as too obscene, also the talent they got in for sequence were from the adult industry, specifically the more intense side of it and they reportedly did a very good job of selling the sexualised horror. that's what made it so scary they where actually enjoying it! Then their other segments from the other actors cut for run time.

The film certainly isn't hot garbage and far from it. It is certainly leagues ahead of a number of horror movies from that time. The thing with that movie is you need to watch with the surround sound on and loud. There are a lot of subsonic from the ship, in places the ship is almost speaking. the film is not really scary but its generally an uncomfortable experiance.

Lets face it in this day and age we have become so numb to it all, think that really says a lot about the current world TBH. It getting to point where really there turning into snuff movies. Dont know about you but that's not really what i want to see.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts