Film Four HD

tvmog

Apr 1, 2008
Visit site
I notice from the listings in next weeks Radio Times that Film Four is commencing HD broadcasts via Virgin. Is there any chance that this will also be coming to Sky in the immediate future?

tvspecv

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
its good to see more channels are going going high-def like fiver recently but the only trouble is they are not doing dolby 5.1 except sky movies hopefully film four will be

tvmog

Apr 1, 2008
Visit site
Andy Clough:Exclusive to Virgin Media at this stage, as we reported here.

The article says "Film 4 HD and E4 HD will launch exclusively on Virgin Media cable TV this summer."

But E4 HD isn't exclusive to Virgin, it has been on Sky for months.

PJ1200

Jan 4, 2008
Visit site
Isn't there some why you can get Film4 HD on Sky? Didn't there used to be a way of getting ITV HD before it became available??
Seems a real shame that Sky customers can't get this!?
Obviously I'm speaking from the perspective of a Sky customer!!!

A

Anonymous

When are they coming to freesat? thats what i want to know!

daveh75

PJ1200:Isn't there some why you can get Film4 HD on Sky?No,because it isn't broadcasting via satellite at present.

Didn't there used to be a way of getting ITV HD before it became available??Yes, but only because it was already broadcasting 'exclusively' on Freesat before officially launching on Sky.

A

Anonymous

Fair point. Freesat website reported over a year ago that film 4 hd would be available on freesat in the near future. How near is the future?

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
I'm sort of happy, I think! Every year I re-negotiate my contract with Virgin under threat of leaving to Sky HD, this is going to make the negotiating that much harder now!

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
A bit OT but i just had an email from Sky saying that you'll now only get the HD channels that are part of your package, and not all HD channels (except premium movies and sprt), as is currently the case.

Plain ol' sky+ is starting to look good again.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
al7478:
A bit OT but i just had an email from Sky saying that you'll now only get the HD channels that are part of your package, and not all HD channels (except premium movies and sprt), as is currently the case.

Err, I thought that was always the case, if you didn't get the SD channel, you didn't get the HD channel. That's entirely logical, so you can't really complain too much.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
the_lhc:al7478:

Err, I thought that was always the case, if you didn't get the SD channel, you didn't get the HD channel. That's entirely logical, so you can't really complain too much.

No, you get all HD channels except premium movies and sport, as I have said (and I've had Sky HD for a while now, and that was part of what made me get it). If it were always the case, why would Sky just have informed me of the "change" today?

So, logical or not, I certainly can complain that I'm now getting less for the same money.

daveh75

As al say's, currently as part of the HD pack you get all the HD channels with the exception of premium Sports/Movies channels, (unless you sub to those channels of course).

Come september, Sky are supposedly dropping the HD pack/charge,and increasing the price of the other packs to compensate.But it also means you'll only get the HD equivelents of the channels/packs you sub to.

So those who currently only sub to 1 or 2 packs are going to lose out,but those who sub to the full package wont be affected.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Indeed. I think its an extra £1 per HD channel not in your mix already.*

Here's an idea Sky et al: decide what you ofer and at what price (because, guess what, thats the basis on which people sign up) then stick to it.

Bye Sky+ HD.

EDIT * Think that might be per mix actually.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
al7478:the_lhc:al7478:

No, you get all HD channels except premium movies and sport, as I have said

Alright nark-boy, no need to get huffy, jeez, even I don't use italics...

(and I've had Sky HD for a while now,

So have I.

So, logical or not, I certainly can complain that I'm now getting less for the same money.

I'd still argue you can't complain much, it makes no sense to provide HD channels for packages you don't subscribe to, you've effectively been getting something for nothing. You had it good for a couple of years, now that's over, unfortunate but cancelling your HD subscription seems a little excessive (you don't need to give the box back, unless you've had it for less than 12 months, and even then I'd be surprised if Sky bother to collect it from you).

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Thay have actually been winding me up for some time, starting with the pompous letters about the wonderful things they're doing (from which I dont benefit as I think those things are'nt so wonderful) which mean the feel they have to increase my subs. Then the lamentable box problems and rubbish EPG, then the talk of channels moving to Virgin.

And no, I have not had something for nothing, I've had what was offered for the extra £10 per month. Logic is neither here nor there.

But you would know all this, having been a sky+ HD user for some time yourself.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
You've been unlucky then, I'm still on my first box, haven't had an problems and the EPG seems fine to me and I stopped reading the letters a long time ago! The magazines go straight into the recycling!

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
the_lhc:You've been unlucky then, I'm still on my first box, haven't had an problems and the EPG seems fine to me and I stopped reading the letters a long time ago! The magazines go straight into the recycling!

They dont even bother to send me the mags! Pah!
emotion-5.gif

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
al7478:
the_lhc:You've been unlucky then, I'm still on my first box, haven't had an problems and the EPG seems fine to me and I stopped reading the letters a long time ago! The magazines go straight into the recycling!

emotion-5.gif

You lucky, lucky, luck luck! How did you manage that?

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
the_lhc:al7478:

emotion-5.gif

You lucky, lucky, luck luck! How did you manage that?

I'm just unpopular, I guess.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
daveh75:Come september, Sky are supposedly dropping the HD pack/charge

Just sen this while looking for another thread. Don't think they dropped the charge and raised other prices to compensate as discobered to day for sure (which i thought anyway so no complaint) that i was still paying the HD sub.

I was just checking some account details prior to dropping HD and going with "freesat from sky". I realised though that i still needed to pay £10 to keep the Sky+ functionality.

In the event they offered me 2 mixes and sky+ functionality for just £10 pcm for 6 months. And i still happen to have one or 2 HD channels i thought i should lose. Im sure i should lose them in fact.

I'm still very likely to go freesat or freesat from sky at some point though., as ive already noticed there are still some lip sync problems.

Admittedly it is silly of me not to have checked whether i have a faulty box or if its par for the course by now.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts