admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Newformz said:
I am looking to buy a DAC mainly for my iPhone 4 as i commute everyday but also for use with my laptop while at work. I have Sennheiser HD-25 II rated at 70 Ohms and some average Sony MDRXB20EX In-Ears.

Would the FiiO E7 be a good buy for this? I do not want to spend alot i am thinking about this bundle on Amazon for £60 http://www.amazon.co.uk/FiiO-E7-and-L7-bundle/dp/B0052IRC7Y/ref=sr_1_14?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1328015274&sr=1-14

Help much appreciated.

Thanks.
The Fiio E7 is a good little amp for use with an iPhone. Just be aware though that it is only used as an amplifier and the dac section is not utilised with the iPhone. Not sure what you would want the L7 for either, if you just want it as an amplifier for your phone buy an E7 and an LOD (L3). This will take a line out from the iPhone's dock. Then when you use it at work with a PC/laptop connect it via a USB lead, it will then act as an outboard soundcard, utilising the DAC section as well.

A

Anonymous

I have changed my mind after reading around to go for the E11, is this recommended over the E7? I have heard alot of praises when using with the HD-25s.

So to sum up could i use this DAC for iPhone / Laptop and my Pioneer VSX-521 5.1 AV?

Thanks.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Newformz said:
I have changed my mind after reading around to go for the E11, is this recommended over the E7? I have heard alot of praises when using with the HD-25s.

So to sum up could i use this DAC for iPhone / Laptop and my Pioneer VSX-521 5.1 AV?

Thanks.
The E11 doesn't have a DAC in it, it is just a headphone amplifier (line in only). It's ideal for use with a pod/phone, no good for use with a laptop as you would just be amplifying the headphone output of the laptop which are usually poor.

A

Anonymous

Oh crap haha Amazon's specs don't tell you much it's difficult differentiating all the different models. I shall go with the E7 then!

Thanks. :)

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
eggontoast said:
I must admit I fully intend to upgrade my E7 when the E17 is readily available.

Yeah me too, I have just bought a second hand 'CEntrance DACport' (getting delivered next week) for my laptop but i still intend to get an E17 for work to upgrade my E7. Will probably then keep the DACport at home and sell the E7. As good as the E7 is, I think it's easily worth £50! but the E17 is in a different league and the 'double' price tag reflects this, although we are getting a good conversion off the USD price for once ($150).

Not sure if it's worth pointing out but... The E17 still won't sort out Newforz' iPhone - DAC request. I heard somewhere that to output digital audio from an Apple device you need to licence the the codes from them. The only two portable devices to do this (afaik) are the 'Fostex HP-P1' (DAC / headphone amp - £500) or the 'ALO Audio Algorythm Solo' (DAC only - $570 or $1000 with RXII amp). These are stratosphere expensive compared to the Fiio line! Maybe more cheaper options will come out this year.

A

Anonymous

I bought the E7, have had it about a month now and enjoying it, there is noticeable quality in compared to headphone out, the sound is less muddy.

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
The E7 has bass boost (4 levels) whereas the E17 adds controls for gain, treble and balance in with more stepping, all controls are still digital.

The E7 is limited to USB input only (on it's own) and sample rates up to 16bit/48khz whereas the E17 will take USB up to 24bit/96khz and a toslink digital input (3.5mm connector) up to 24bit/192khz.

The sound quality of the E17 is rumoured to improve on detail and soundstage a little bit. Overall a nice little update but whether it's worth twice the money is very much a personal thing. There is a nice review on headphonia...

http://www.headfonia.com/the-upgrade-fiio-e17-alpen/

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Let us know hwo you get on with the E5. Will the E5 be redundant once you get the E17 or is the smaller size of the E5 a nicer option for portability? What headphones are you using it with btw?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts