FiiO E5 headphone amplifier review.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

izpuuteejs

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the great review!

ordered both items too, hope they arrive this week. I am going to use them with Ipod Touch 3G 64Gb and Klipsch Image X10, just cant wait!!!

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
just a quick question, I have been thinking of getting a Fiio E1 for my iphone/pod and was wondering if people think there would be much difference in this and the E5 and a LOD? Has anyone tried the E1?

izpuuteejs

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
The only thing I know that E5 is the latest model (correct me if I am wrong) but anyway E5 is so small in size and price that I didn't even considered E1 :)

good luck and share experience in case of purchase!

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I find it gives a nice little boost, more noticeable on by HD595s than my cx500s. I find I get a lot of bass on my in ear cx500s and don't use the bass boost at all on either of them.

I find the difference most noticeable on percussive sounds and voices. I got mine with an Oyaide cable instead of the Fiio one

http://oyaide.com/catalog/products/p-3992.html

http://oyaide.com/catalog/products/p-3992.html(PCOCC-A copper cable with Rhodium-silver plated plugs). Nice cable, chunky. Dont know if it does much. I think I'd be better off with LOD.

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
izpuuteejs:
The only thing I know that E5 is the latest model (correct me if I am wrong) but anyway E5 is so small in size and price that I didn't even considered E1 :)

good luck and share experience in case of purchase!

I think the E1 is newest product although I am only basing this on the "new" icon above it on the web site. I am not very tech minded but from the spec the only difference I can see is the output power is higher on the E5. I was just wondering if these differences would effect the performance of the E1 in comparison to the E1

A

Anonymous

I have a nano (4th gen) and just tested it out with the Fiio E5 and the Pailiccs LOD using my Sony X-Bass MDR-XB700s

WOW..

Seriously noticeable difference.. Very impressed! I definitely recommend buying this amp and LOD setup.

I thought my headphones were good before, but they have been made so much better now.

I tested using Deep Dish, Dirty Vegas annnnnnd the soundtrack to Amelie haha :)

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
izpuuteejs:
Due to volcano got mine only today, anyway - improvement in sound is noticeable.

What would be the best on-ears for Ipod&FiiO combo? How about Grado SR80i?

The Grados are great headphones but I would say they are more for use at home. I listen to my ipod while commuting and IMO they are not good for this as they are open backed. Sound leaks out of them a lot, I do not listen to music loud and I was asked by other commuters if I would turn my music down. if it is noisy around you (like on the tube) you will not be able to hear very much. These reasons are why I now have some Goldring NS1000 and my Grados are gathering dust. saying that if the above are not issues they are great! some have said they are not loud enough but if you have the E5 that shouldn't be a problem. There are some 125is on e-bay that are close to ending......

A

Anonymous

I received my Fiio E5 amp today, hooked it upto my phone (LG Viewty) and was very disappointed with the performance of the amp, bass boost mode made little difference. I'm using the Sony MDR-EX500LP headphones. does this amp need a break in period or something?

would appreciate some help

idc

This thread is a blast from the past! I do not think the amp needs breaking in, your ears will get used to the sound eventually. I find that the effectiveness of the bass boost depends on the recording. If it is bass heavy, then I find bass boost is more noticeable than otherwise.

I suspect that the overall synergy of LG, FiiO and Sonys is to blame.

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to dredge up an old (ok, really old) thread but I got the Fiio lod in the post yesterday and I've hooked it up to my E5 and my PXC-250 'phones. General sound is better, but I am having a bit of difficulty controlling the bass now. Bass boost off on the E5 leaves it a bit flat, put it on and it can be too much. iPhone EQ is really not very good so I'm stuck!

I accept this may just be my headphones and I'm looking for a new set anyway. Still wouldn't do with the E5 now though

idc

Hi Lee, I find with my Senn PX200s the bass boost is more noticeable than when I use other headphones. It may be down to how sensitive the headphone is and the PXC is an odd mix of high SPL at 112 dB and high ohms at either 160 or 300. Sensitive headphones have low ohms, usually about 32 and high SPL of over 100db.

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks idc. I tried the NS1000's and found them to be too leaky for me, although I loved the sound. I'm finding it really hard to find anywhere to test new headphones out. I'm not looking to spend a fortune, but they have to leak as little as possible whilst keeping out as much external noise as possible. With the vast majority of usage being iPhone 4 -> LOD -> E5, is there anything you can suggest looking at?

idc

PC World/Currys superstores now have a huge range of Sennheisers on show to test, along with other headphones such as The Monster Beats. John Lewis and Apple Stores also have listening stations with the B&W P5, Denon, Bose and others.

Lastly, look for pro-audio shops that cater more for the DJ. Rubadub in Glasgow have a huge range of AKG and Shure headphones which you arrange to audition. The pro audio scene tends to go for closed backed headphones for the reason of trying to mix in a noisy environment.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts