FiiO E5 headphone amplifier review.

idc

Got myself a FiiO E5 portable headphone amplifier for a long bus and ferry trip. It was £14.44 delivered, including a car charger from mp3amplifier on Amazon.. I then went a bit daft (maybe, read on) and also bought a line out dock (LOD) to connect the ipod to the amp from ebay seller saradam62, search iphone line out dock with cable, for £19.99 including delivery.

3701374025_f45d216519.jpg

The E5 is tiny, seriously tiny and very light, see the pictures. It has a solid metal casing and a clip which fits nicely through the belt slits on my soft ipod cover.

The built in lithium battery charges with a supplied USB cable to connect to a PC or via the car charger. A charge should last 20 hours. There is a mini jack in for the two different shaped supplied cables to connect from the headphone out on an ipod into the amp. On the other end of the amp is the mini jack out to connect to the headphones. On the same end is the tiny volume control , bass boost switch and on/off button. The instructions are in English and Chinese and the translation is perfect and very clear.

I tried it with the supplied mini jack cable from the ipod’s headphone out. With Sennheiser PX200s, Grado SR80s and AKG 702s it boosted the volume without distortion, particularly benefiting the larger headphones. In terms of SQ there was not a huge difference for the PX200s, with and without bass boost. The difference was clearer for the SR80s and AKGs. I find that the sound directly out of a ipod for both is a bit insipid, light and neither has any energy or drive. The FiiO made both listenable and provided the power boost both need. Bass boost was noticeable, but not significantly so.

3702185858_d567a23b77.jpg

I then tried the very nice LOD with its very tightly fitting connector, flat cable and pailiccs mini jack. It bypasses the ipod’s volume control and is the best way to connect an ipod to anything. The increase in SQ was exceptional and makes this extra expense to get the better connection very worthwhile. The volume goes even louder than before and still with no distortion. The AKGs in particular benefit from the additional power provided, just wish I had remembered to turn the volume back down on switching to the PX200s, ooh me ears!

All three headphone now sing and are shown to their real potential. Again it is the SR80s and AKGs that really benefit. The overall sound of the FiiO is bright and dynamic, particularly with bass boost on. There is not the soundstage, clarity and detail of an X-CAN full sized amp. But considering the price difference the FiiO puts the others to shame.

The Sennheiser PX200s sound full with a good bass and a slight treble. The SR80s added a full treble, depth, detail and more rounded midrange. They sounded a bit light and bright without bass boost and to my ears very much benefited from adding the extra bass. The AKGs added clarity, a crisper smoother treble, more detailed midrange, but less bass depth. So the FiiO is quite a neutral amp as all three headphones retained their ’house’ sounds and individual character.

I used Coldplay, The Stranglers and Supergrass tracks during the test.

In conclusion the FiiO E5, with a LOD to connect to an ipod is startlingly good and very good value. How long it lasts with its rechargeable battery and tiny plastic controls, I’m not sure. But at £34.43 for both amp and LOD? I’ll just get another one. There is an E7 coming out which is ipod specific, but no other details at the moment. If you connect any headphones to an ipod the E5 will give benefits, but more so full sized ones. Highly recommended.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for this - interesting read. I have just ordered both the products to play with my Klipsch's :D

A

Anonymous

Sure thing, how long did it take for you to receive the delivery? All excited now.. lol

idc

The amp took three days and the cable was just the one day, but the seller for that is only a few miles away from me. Presently listening to mine, rocking to Sepultura with the Grados.

A

Anonymous

The line out dock is actually made by iBasso, certainly it is identical to the design of the one I bought with my D10 DAC and headphone amp. Though I got the separate pallaics cable and dock for flexibility, the little cable is perfect for connecting my D10 to the 3.5mm input on the front of my RA-04

the pallaics plugs are in the running for cutest cable ever. Nice review, headphone amps are an excellent purchase

A

Anonymous

That same separate lineout dock with the belkin jack to jack http://whathifi.com/Review/Belkin-Mini-Stereo-Cable/ has turned my Pure Radio from so so when driven by the headphone out of my iPod in to really quite good fun listening in the garden. great fun for barbeques, especially with the Lion battery in the Pure Radio

idc

Does the iBasso one say iBasso on it anywhere. I found it and I see what you mean, they look identical. I have been listening to it so much I have managed to flatten the battery after about 10 hours, not the 20 it is said it will run for. But there was a lot of high volume listening with bass boost on and to my Grados, so maybe that caused it. The recharge took an hour or so. I find the Grados sound the best of all th eheadphones I have tried.

A

Anonymous

no obvious branding, though I dimly remember conversations on other forums saying that iBasso sell these pallaics cable and docks, but they are made by someone else in China. This might be me getting confused between iBasso as an external brand and their own internal brand. No matter afaik they are the export source for these cables. Those ebay prices are pretty keen too, I guess someone is importing in bulk from them. Tempted by some Grados, but need to move house first and I really like my 450s atm

A

Anonymous

Hi idc,

looks good, i'm thinking of getting the non cable line out dock for listening to the ipod in the car, but wondering if the cable that came with the one you bought is anything special? i.e. should i get the with cable version anyhow just incase i get a headphone amp or do you not think it will make a difference?

Cheers,
Ed

idc

Hi Eddie. If you mean get the connector with the minjack connection, so you then add your own cable, I am sure it would work equally as well. I know from elsewhere of someone who has done that with the ichord cable. I was looking at using the Atlas minijack cable till I found the one with the cable I use now. It is 14cm tip to tip and the actual cable is 8cm. It is ideal for folding back on itself so you can attach the amp to the ipod and keeping it compact.

Way more important than 8cm of cable is the quality of the connectors and using the docking port.

A

Anonymous

just ordered the mini jack one now. Will be impatient till it makes it the 20 miles down the road!

Interestingly while i was looking at them last night the one you bought jumped from 19.99 to 22.50, wonder if thats your fault1!

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
Looks good, if I ever convert to iPod that may be an option in order to take advantage of the line out.

I have had for a year or more a tiny in line FiiO (E3) Headphone amp, it does not have any controls, just plug it in line it gives a boost to volume and has a slight lift in the bass but gives a little more control to difficult to drive headphones, runs for 10+ hours on a AAA battery. The company appear to be making some interesting little products.

A

Anonymous

Mine arrived earlier today (super quick postage from both suppliers) and first impressions are exactly the same as yours. The sound can go a lot louder without distortion and the sound quality has improved - it sounds fuller and my Klipsch's are now an even more exciting listen then before.

I am also surprised at how good the build quality on both items are for the price; the LOD fits perfectly.

Thanks again for this idc - in my opinion it was £35 or so very, very well spent!

Cheers mate, Lee

RECOMMENDED!!

idc

fast eddie:.... the one you bought jumped from 19.99 to 22.50, wonder if thats your fault1!

Maybe! But I had noticed when I went into the sellers details that the first one they sold was for £12 and each one has got more expensive. They are now at the same price as getting the one from iBasso.

Great news Lee, glad its not just me raving about this little beauty.
emotion-21.gif

Incidentally, if you get the new ipod 4gb nano to go with the ibasso LOD, FiiO E5 and the Senheiser PX200s, that will set you back £130. For that money I dont think there is a better sounding, brand new hifi/headfi available anywhere.

A

Anonymous

Got mine on saturday, works great with the hifi, but sadly too loud for in the car so it'll just end up sitting at home unles i change the head unit.

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Strange how the day can turn out... one minute I'm thinking, non too seriously mind you, a pair of over-ear headphones are needed, the next I've bought a pair (after an earlier post today), and now, for reasons I still can't fathom, I'm looking at headphone amps! (Actually that's not true, I know exactly why, and it has a lot to do with having a very boring job and as a result too much time spent researching something I've read about here).

Anyways, interested to hear if anyone can comment on whether this product is worth buying for the latest (6G?) iPod classic as I've read that the difference between the headphone output and the line-out on the latest iPods is nowhere near that of earlier ipod models.

idc

Hi margetti. I can't answer your question directly, but the FiiO comes with cable to connect to the headphone out anyway and if you are not happy you could try it with a LOD. But either way, I find the FiiO provides a nice boost to the volume, especially with the bass boost on.

I checked on Amazon and it is now about £5 more than when I bought mine. Still, at about £20 it is still very cheap.

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Cheers idc - was hoping you'd spot this. I've certainly read a lot of good things about the Fiio (your review being a good read indeed) and it seems too good to be true considering the prices of similarly targeted products (spotted a LOD cable (yes, just the cable) at one stage for US$195 - that's not much less than an iPod!)

idc

Regards the LOD, I had a look on ebay and again prices are up about £10 or so. I can't find the iBasso one I bought on ebay, but google iBasso CB03 and you can get one for about £22.

Unless Apple have done something radical to the dock connection on the ipod I don't see how it is going to sound worse than the headphone output. You may have found the lone voice that says the headphone oput put is better than via a LOD.

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
I bought an E5 just out of curiosity than made up my own LOD (Lucky enough to have access to an iPod connector), Pretty sure that the iPod Classic is a Gen 6 and I would say the sound is better through the amp even with basic headphones, not tried with my Sure or Alessandro but I would guess the difference would be even more noticeable, shame they do not work with the iTouch as I find the sound quality on those particularly poor.

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
Anyone who owns one of thease I have a quick question does it loose battery charge while not in use?

Mine seems to become completely discharged in 1-2 weeks of not being used, does anyone else see this, First time it happened I assumed it must have gotten switched on in my Bag but is has happened twice more now, is it just my unit.

lonely boy

Apr 19, 2008
Visit site
pwiles1968:
Anyone who owns one of thease I have a quick question does it loose battery charge while not in use?

Mine seems to become completely discharged in 1-2 weeks of not being used, does anyone else see this, First time it happened I assumed it must have gotten switched on in my Bag but is has happened twice more now, is it just my unit.

Looks like it's a fault with your unit, mine hasn't been used for a couple of months and it works fine.

e

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts