Question Fighting with amp upgrade (Focal speakers)

Hansen

Feb 10, 2022
Visit site
I'm getting killed here..
I know one of three questions here are about pairing amps with speakers. I do have a list but every time I try to do some research among at reducing my list the opposite happens and I end up with one more amp that could be my new love...

Half a year ago I bought a pair of Focal Chora 826. Love them! Great details and midrange. My amp is a 12 y.o. NAD C326. It's ok, but... You know If it was my wife I wouldn't change, but it's not. It's an amp ;)

My price range is up to 3000€ or 2(500£.
I would like room correction as my room and the placement of my speakers aren't optimal. But I don't know how big a difference it makes.

In my area it's difficult to get to listen to Focals.

I'm a little in love with NAD C399, but I can't get to listen to them as they are out of stock and BTW the price just jumped 300€. The specs are perfect - but how does it sound?

In the same price range I see NAD M10 V2, Arcam SA30 and Cambridge EVO150.
Very different amps, but I go for sound more than "amp class".

A little cheaper is Marantz 40n, Hegel H120 and Lyngdorf TDAI1120. Rotel 1592 mkii is also somewhere in and out of my list.

I like the looks of the Cambridge, Lyngdorf and M10.

Yesterday I visited my local Focal dealer. The Arcam was sold out. The Marantz was in. After listing to it I was thinking that it isn't 2500€ better than my NAD C326.
The salesman came in with a Niam Unity Atom as a substitute for the Arcam. I said directly that it was out of my budget. But I listened to it anyway. It was a step up compared to the Marantz in all types of music. Price: 3000€ if I take it this week ("same price as Arcam SA30 - only for you"). Normal price is about 3500€ in my neck of the woods..

I am very tempted, but isn't it a little outdated compared to the Cambridge (3000€) and M10 (2700€)?
And with only 40W it's not that powerful - but it do sound great. Would I get tired of it after some time and feel it's outdated as it is one of the first all-in-one amps with streaming?

So: is there any of the amps that I should take out of my list? The Marantz (surprisingly) didn't pair that well. So it's out.
One salesperson said the Lyngdorf doesn't pair well with Focal. His younger co-worker interfered and said that with RoomPerfect I can set it up exactly the way I want it and get the sound I like.

Should I just run with the Naim? It sound like a good offer - but is it?
Looking at the specs and looks I would go for NAD C399 or Cambridge EVO150.

Decisions, decisions... Baseline is I'm getting bald pulling out my hair in distress...

If it were my money I would be looking at that Rotel, it has tone controls at least, and in my opinion will pair well with those Focals.
I am not familiar with the Naim but I would not worry about those 40 wpc
If you simply must have more in the way of room correction then you'll have to go for the Lyngdorf.......or get speakers more suited to your room. :cool:

Reactions: Hansen

treesey

I'm a little in love with NAD C399, but I can't get to listen to them as they are out of stock and BTW the price just jumped 300€. The specs are perfect - but how does it sound?

A little cheaper is Marantz 40n, Hegel H120 and Lyngdorf TDAI1120. Rotel 1592 mkii is also somewhere in and out of my list.

Yesterday I visited my local Focal dealer. The Arcam was sold out. The Marantz was in. After listing to it I was thinking that it isn't 2500€ better than my NAD C326.
The salesman came in with a Niam Unity Atom as a substitute for the Arcam. I said directly that it was out of my budget. But I listened to it anyway. It was a step up compared to the Marantz in all types of music. Price: 3000€ if I take it this week ("same price as Arcam SA30 - only for you"). Normal price is about 3500€ in my neck of the woods..

I am very tempted, but isn't it a little outdated compared to the Cambridge (3000€) and M10 (2700€)?
And with only 40W it's not that powerful - but it do sound great. Would I get tired of it after some time and feel it's outdated as it is one of the first all-in-one amps with streaming?

If you are thinking that already, then yes, that will happen.

Even I am tempted by the Rotel, as it seems to have very good reviews, is very well made, and has modern inputs.

Get a demo of the Rotel, in your own house?

Reactions: Hansen and Al ears

Ceand

Jan 26, 2021
Visit site
Try to get a home demo or loan of the 1120. I've had mine for nearly a year and it continues to surprise me. Apart from RoomPerfect which works really well, it sounds great, very neutral! Also, if you are someone who appreciates features and adjustability, it truly is an Aladdin's Cave! I used to be someone who thought I only needed a volume control until it became clear to me how much influence the room has on the sound. Now, I won't go back...

Just to give you another view...

If you can secure the ‘offer’ price on the Naim with a try it at home or return it deal, then get that. I’m not a big Naim fan and it’s expensive to service if you keep it over 5 years (they seem to need regular recapping and screens) but it might be plenty loud enough and they are the same stable as Focal. They are as up to date as anything in streaming.

If you like it at home then you won’t need all the room adjustability, and the always wondering if you can tweak it a bit more. It’s just plug n play!

I know one of three questions here are about pairing amps with speakers. I do have a list but every time I try to do some research among at reducing my list the opposite happens and I end up with one more amp that could be my new love...

Half a year ago I bought a pair of Focal Chora 826. Love them! Great details and midrange. My amp is a 12 y.o. NAD C326. It's ok, but... You know If it was my wife I wouldn't change, but it's not. It's an amp ;)

My price range is up to 3000€ or 2(500£.
I would like room correction as my room and the placement of my speakers aren't optimal. But I don't know how big a difference it makes.

In my area it's difficult to get to listen to Focals.

So: is there any of the amps that I should take out of my list? The Marantz (surprisingly) didn't pair that well. So it's out.
One salesperson said the Lyngdorf doesn't pair well with Focal. His younger co-worker interfered and said that with RoomPerfect I can set it up exactly the way I want it and get the sound I like.

Should I just run with the Naim? It sound like a good offer - but is it?
Looking at the specs and looks I would go for NAD C399 or Cambridge EVO150.

Decisions, decisions... Baseline is I'm getting bald pulling out my hair in distress...
FWIW Focal work a treat with Arcam or better quality NAD, something in the region of the NAD 370 or Arcam A39.

Even though Focal and Naim share the same building, I would in no way partner those two. I would also avoid Leema with Focal. When I heard the two it just didn't work. The cohesion just isn't there.

Thi is my opinion of course.

Hansen

Feb 10, 2022
Visit site
Thx for your input.
It's very interesting for me that Lyngdorf TDAI 1120 gets more support than the more pricey competitors Cambridge EVO150 and NAD M10 V20.
For some reason it's not easy to lend hifi equipment home (I live in Sweden). The only place is the store where I bought the Focals. Btw he have both Rotel and Arcam so I try to see how many amps he will allow me att home during the weekend...
To borrow a Lyngdorf is next to impossible :( Sadly. You made me look more in that direction.

andybebbs

Apr 30, 2020
Visit site
Pitty you can`t listen to one it`s a fantastic amp with multiple connections and room perfect really works. Don`t think i will be changing mine any day soon and if your implementing a sub it sorts it all out for you so good.
Andy

Vincent Kars

Each his own of course but I would look in a total other direction than the traditional HiFi brands.
Power amp: anything base on Hypex nCore or Purify Eigentakt.
Dead quiet and powerful and affordable:

Combine this with a pre-amp like https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...version-2-dac-and-headphone-amp-review.13379/ and you have a whisper quiet playback chain able to resolve aprox 20 bits audio.

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site

pulling out my hair in distress...

So you come here for advise and more choices. Way to go 😁

Thx for your input.
It's very interesting for me that Lyngdorf TDAI 1120 gets more support than the more pricey competitors Cambridge EVO150 and NAD M10 V20.
For some reason it's not easy to lend hifi equipment home (I live in Sweden). The only place is the store where I bought the Focals. Btw he have both Rotel and Arcam so I try to see how many amps he will allow me att home during the weekend...
To borrow a Lyngdorf is next to impossible :( Sadly. You made me look more in that direction.
Can you not buy a Lyngdorf and return under distance selling regulations?

Hansen

Feb 10, 2022
Visit site
Well I have succeeded in borrowing some different amps.
The Lyngdorf TDAI1120 (wiht a 100% deposit...), NAD M10 V2.
Arcam SA30 is sold out, but the shop where I bought my Focal, have a demo-model, that he claims have never been used because Arcam cancellede the order due to delivery problems, and he only got the one for demo. To borrow home, he will also try to find the rather new Primare I15 Prisma Mk2 as recommended by skinnypuppy71

I will compare the amps to my old NAD C326BEE - so it will be a busy weekend. If there isn't any improvement, I will keep my C326 and supplement with a good streamer instead :)

It's a lot of class D amps, but it seems that what my whallet tells me... The Aracam and my old NAD will be my baseline and tell me, if class D is a wrong direction.

I tried to find Rotel but they are basically sold out. The same with NAD C399. The NAD will come to Scandinavia in august, but they expect it to be sold out at arrival. So I've gave up on these two.

I am still attracted to Cambridge EVO 150, but it seems that I have to go quite far to listen to it or order it home and send it back if I it doesn't meet my expectations.

Delivery problems are indeed real. There are empty shelves here and there and brands like Marantz, Arcam, Rotel, NAD and Naim only have a few devices in stock here.

Thx for all the advices. Maybe it's worth listening to the elves after all...

Reactions: Tinman1952

Hansen

Feb 10, 2022
Visit site
Each his own of course but I would look in a total other direction than the traditional HiFi brands.
Power amp: anything base on Hypex nCore or Purify Eigentakt.
Dead quiet and powerful and affordable:

Combine this with a pre-amp like https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...version-2-dac-and-headphone-amp-review.13379/ and you have a whisper quiet playback chain able to resolve aprox 20 bits audio.

Very interesting... I will give it a look too. But custom and VAT buying from UK after we divorced is quite hefty + 4-500£ on the price.

Tinman1952

All UK customers pay VAT at 20% (standard rate). You either pay it directly to the UK supplier as it is included in the retail price, or you pay it on import from outside the UK. So what has changed exactly.....? 🤔

treesey

All UK customers pay VAT at 20% (standard rate). You either pay it directly to the UK supplier as it is included in the retail price, or you pay it on import from outside the UK. So what has changed exactly.....? 🤔
Customs charges/duty/stuff - VAT would be I imagine the same as it always was.

So e.g. the same charges that a UK buyer has always paid if importing from say the USA now apply to importing from the EU - do not know if there are extra charges to pay if an EU buyer imports from the UK, but I assume they do.

treesey

It's a lot of class D amps, but it seems that what my whallet tells me... The Aracam and my old NAD will be my baseline and tell me, if class D is a wrong direction.

I tried to find Rotel but they are basically sold out.

Thx for all the advices. Maybe it's worth listening to the elves after all...

Elves do enjoy spending your money :D

Shame there is no Rotel.

Tell us your impressions of D vs A anyway please... even if your ears are not the same as elvish ears, any direct comparison of kit is useful, to me at least.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts