Feedback when using Turntable

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
My turntable is a Dual C505-4. I have problems with feedback through the speakers. There is no problem from CD, Video, tuner or tape deck. The feedback can be remedied temporarily by reorientating the wires but I have not been able to isolate which ones are the problem. This happened with my previous Audiolab amp and it still doe it with my new Roksan Kandy. The Dual does not have the facility to upgrade the output wires. They are hard wired in and very flimsy. Do I need a new deck?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="wclough"]

My turntable is a Dual C505-4. I have problems with feedback through the speakers. There is no problem from CD, Video, tuner or tape deck. The feedback can be remedied temporarily by reorientating the wires but I have not been able to isolate which ones are the problem. This happened with my previous Audiolab amp and it still doe it with my new Roksan Kandy. The Dual does not have the facility to upgrade the output wires. They are hard wired in and very flimsy. Do I need a new deck?

[/quote]

If you tap the plinth of the deck can you hear it through the speakers?

A

Anonymous

I think you have answered the question yourself. Turntables are more sensitive to these king of going ons, if I was you I would check none of the interconnects from the turntable and phono stage are near the power cords, it's just a case of isolating the cables and make sure they don't cross each other.

A

Anonymous

Many thanks for very quick response. I will have another go at sorting the cables out. If the problem persists, would I overcome this with a deck that will take upgrade leads?

A

Anonymous

Thanks for trying to help. Yes I have tried this and I can hear taps on the sprung plinth through the speakers. I have separated the output cables carefully but the feedback can start with random movement of the output cables

A

Anonymous

[quote user="wclough"]
Thanks for trying to help. Yes I have tried this and I can hear taps on the sprung plinth through the speakers. I have separated the output cables carefully but the feedback can start with random movement of the output cables
[/quote]

In that case it looks like a turntable design fault. I had a friend with a Technics direct drive and that was awful for feeding back. It looks like the only way to cure it is to move it away from the speakers or try a firmer shelf, maybe a wall bracket, or try an isolation platform or feet.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts