Favourite Genre

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Just interested to see which is your favourite genre... Rock, Indie, Pop, Country, Folk, Classicle, Jazz, or any other incarnation of either?

Personally, I like most things acoustic, but do enjoy a smattering of most, except the likes of house and hip/hop.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Classical

20thC classical/Eastern European

Chamber music

Choral

Some opera

Electronica

Ambient

Hip hop

Trip hop

Alt-metal

Rock

Alternative

Pop

Punk/New wave

Frank Zappa

House

Some Jazz

Electro Swing

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Thats a good question. I like quite a few, don't think I have a favourite now. Yes I like acoustic music and vocals. Also some Jazz (late 50s). Some Alt-country. 70s Rock. A bit of Folk, mostly celtic. I play classical sometimes when the mood takes me. Some world music. Some Blues. Not sure what house is even, so probably not. I don't like Rap and most Pop.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Interesting, thanks for the feedback so far... taking it on a bit further, feel free to name 1 or 2 of your favourite artist from each genre, always tricky I know, do your best.

Mac

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
It's easier to say what I don't like:

Irish Country Modern (screechy) Jazz Wagner

Love it!

Ok, I don't mind Wagner. To me, most modern jazz is coffee table music: that most people don't actually like but feel the should be seen knowing loads about it! Some people I know have a token classical selection of excerpts they never listen to & know even less about.

I'm a Philistine when it comes to the significance of lyrics - I sometimes pick up on them but often remain blistfully ignorant. Pop music ain't poetry which is probably a very snobbish attitude. There we go, I've admitted it!

I usually say "Classical" if asked, but of course that is a pretty broad church. I'm not mad on Bruckner, but enjoy most composers.

I have more piano solo and concerto recordings than any other. Violin next. Not very into opera, as I always think I will grow into it one day.

Have got quite a variety of rock and pop music too, but mostly from the pre-CD era.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
70s Rock - Little Feat, Led Zepp, the Doors, Pink Floyd, Tull, The Who, Graham Parker.

Celtic - Altan, Solas, Capercaillie.

Jazz - Art Pepper, Sonny Rollins, Miles Davis (pre 1972), Ben Webster, Dexter Gordon, Brad Mehldau, Bill Evans, Cannonball Adderley, Tord Gustavsen.

Alt country - Calexico, Dawn Landes, Eilen Jewel, Alela Diane.

World - Mari Boine, Anouar Brahem, Ali Farka Touré

nopiano said:
I usually say "Classical" if asked, but of course that is a pretty broad church. I'm not mad on Bruckner, but enjoy most composers.

I have more piano solo and concerto recordings than any other. Violin next. Not very into opera, as I always think I will grow into it one day.

Have got quite a variety of rock and pop music too, but mostly from the pre-CD era.

It would appear, after a recent visit to maison de nopiano , that we have similar tastes although mine lean a bit more towards jazz and blues with just a hint of classical. Thanks again for the audition nopiano. ;-)

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Macspur said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
My favourites are classic rock , heavy metal , thrash music , blues rock some classic music . Audio books

I'm a big Audio Book fan BS... always got one on the go

Mac

yes I do have a lot of audio books I find them relaxing to listen too I am a big fan of Stephen leather books ,James Herbert , Shaun Hudson I have all of the books that these authors have written

Gaz37

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
My tastes are quite odd

I mostly like Pink Floyd, Dire Straits and similar but also enjoy Enya, Clannad and Rammstein

I don't like jazz, but admit that's probably because I don't really understand it, it just sounds like a group of musicians all playing different tunes at the same time.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Gaz37 said:
My tastes are quite odd

I mostly like Pink Floyd, Dire Straits and similar but also enjoy Enya, Clannad and Rammstein

I don't like jazz, but admit that's probably because I don't really understand it, it just sounds like a group of musicians all playing different tunes at the same time.

Nothing weird about your taste at all. and as long as you enjoy the music, that's all that counts.

Mac

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Macspur said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
My favourites are classic rock , heavy metal , thrash music , blues rock some classic music . Audio books

I'm a big Audio Book fan BS... always got one on the go

Mac

yes I do have a lot of audio books I find them relaxing to listen too I am a big fan of Stephen leather books ,James Herbert , Shaun Hudson I have all of the books that these authors have written

pretty similar taste to my reading habits.

Mac

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
A large part of the content I listen to is BBC radio drama, comedy and history (and audiobooks too).

I have hundreds of BBC CDs and continue to buy new ones. (Latest was Charles Paris Mystery "A Decent Interval" with Bill Nighy.)

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Gaz37 said:

That sounds like modern free jazz, I don't that at all either but thats only a small part of the genre, try some late 50s jazz instead like Kind of Blue or Time Out or Saxophone Collossus.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Alt Modern Folk, Americana, Indie Folk @Big H just discovered Eilen Jewell over the last couple of weeks, loving "Live at the Narrows" at the moment.

Amy LaVere, Ruby The Rabbitfoot, Lily and Madeline and alot of superb music from Macspur's brilliant music blog.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Gaz37 said:
My tastes are quite odd

You understand jazz perfectly

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts