Faulty speaker

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
I have/had a lovely pair of Cambridge audio sx50 speakers(3 months old). I was listening to Agnes Oble, philharmonics on spotify the other day,at moderate level, say 10am on the volume dial. I found this lovely album from my usual looking through recommendations here on the form and finding interesting stuff. When the first song "falling,catching" started I noticed a horrible vibrate sound from my speaker. The song starts with a very high pitch piano. I unfortunately was unable to cure it, hoping something around was vibrating. After a bit of trouble shooting and swapping the speakers to opposite sides etc, it seems one of my speakers is goosed at certain high frequencies.

Anyway I got onto the shop I bought online and must get them back there and hope for the best. From anyone experience what do you think I can expect, a replacement, a repair, or hopefully not a "we can't hear the problem". I am a bit disheartened, because I had to pay to send the back, which is not an issue, but I thought the company may have a way that I could use their courier company at a reduced cost but not an option.Hopefully the rest of the process will be more satisfactory.

insider9

That's a bummer. I feel for you. I'd expect them to cover postage cost if the speaker is faulty. Since it is, you shouldn't be paying out of your pocket for poor quality product they sold.

If that was me I'd expect a refund and under no circumstances a repair. There shouldn't be any issue after only 3 months. Quite a few people would take that long to properly run them in.

Write to them nicely but firmly and explain that if a product breaks in such short time it was clearly not fit for purpose and you'll be looking at alternatives. Whether you do it's for you to decide but you should ask for your money back.

That may not be too happpy to do it but most companies will eventually cave to keep the customer.

By the way where did you buy them from?

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for response. it gives me a feel about how to proceed.

I bought them from Richer Sounds belfast. I am actually disgusted because they were a tidy great sounding little speaker. I never really pushed them, and I'd say they could have been like this from day one. That piano on the album I noticed is pretty sharp, but then once it was noticed and I try similar music, it is obvious there is an issue.

I'd hate to get a repair. I would be ok with a replacement, because anything can have a bad "one", but if I had a choice I'd prefer a refund, in which case I'd buy an alternative, likely from the same shop.

Another slight problem with this is the transaction was done in my fathers name. Basically he wanted a bluetooth speaker for Spotify and I recommended one. It was in Richers, and i wanted the Cambridge speakers, but as he is retired and I work shift we got them in his name and delivered to his house, so that there was an easier option for delivery. Now all corrospondance have to come from him, and the fact that I bought other speakers and stands recently from them, I can't throw the "I buy lots from ye, sort me out line"

The postage is a bit of a pain, but I'll get over that if I get sorted out, its about 20 pounds insured, to get them delivered

muljao said:

I bought them from Richer Sounds belfast. I am actually disgusted because they were a tidy great sounding little speaker. I never really pushed them, and I'd say they could have been like this from day one. That piano on the album I noticed is pretty sharp, but then once it was noticed and I try similar music, it is obvious there is an issue.

I'd hate to get a repair. I would be ok with a replacement, because anything can have a bad "one", but if I had a choice I'd prefer a refund, in which case I'd buy an alternative, likely from the same shop.

Another slight problem with this is the transaction was done in my fathers name. Basically he wanted a bluetooth speaker for Spotify and I recommended one. It was in Richers, and i wanted the Cambridge speakers, but as he is retired and I work shift we got them in his name and delivered to his house, so that there was an easier option for delivery. Now all corrospondance have to come from him, and the fact that I bought other speakers and stands recently from them, I can't throw the "I buy lots from ye, sort me out line"

The postage is a bit of a pain, but I'll get over that if I get sorted out, its about 20 pounds insured, to get them delivered

You should expect, at the very least an offer to repair. The fact that they cannot hear a problem is irrelevant. Ask for a professional evaluation of the speaker not the examiniation of some cloth-eared young salesman. I presume they came with a 1 Year Warranty.

Just goes to demonstrate what RicherSounds think about customer loyalty / satisfaction.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Al ears said:
muljao said:

You should expect, at the very least an offer to repair. The fact that they cannot hear a problem is irrelevant. Ask for a professional evaluation of the speaker not the examiniation of some cloth-eared young salesman. I presume they came with a 1 Year Warranty.

Just goes to demonstrate what RicherSounds think about customer loyalty / satisfaction.

It will probably work out ok. I am sure they will sort me out. I was only asking here so others with similar experience may let me know what to expect. Richers don't even have the speakers yet, I only got the info about how to proceed yesterday, so they may come up trumps yet. To be fair in hyencyth now I probably shouldn't have named the store until everything was dealt with. I think though I kind of expected an "Amazon" type responce, with them shipping back the speakers because there is a fault and after checking out maybe offer a refund.

That may have been unrealistic on my part

Petherick

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
In my experience Richer are a good company to deal with. On the rare occasion I have had problems they have dealt with them without fuss. I hope you get sorted quickly - please let us know.

insider9

I've once had to return a refurbished product to RS as it was dead on arrival. Didn't pay for postage they sent a courier to pick up. I've written a rather lengthy review about the purchase and voila had a call from customer service manager. He was happy to discuss another purchase and was hinting at a discount for my troubles. I declined the offer as they didn't have what I wanted at the time.

They really want to keep you as a customer. I'd suggest getting on the phone and explaining the situation. Tell them you're happy with an alternative as you no longer trust Cambridge Audio gear. Q Acoustics 3020 are currently on Black Friday deal at £149 might be worth a punt. I know you rather enjoy your Q Acoustics.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
I may try that. I will wait until friday now. I think they will have the return tomorrow, so friday gives them a chance to process. I will see how they respond. I do like the q acoustics, though I'd rate the cambridge slightly above, but my main system is much better set up, with stands and positioning, so this could possibly be the advantage.

If a refund is an option I will re-think. I got a good upgrade with my PM6005, so I might go up a budget step/grade with the speakers also, maybe someting like the Monitor Audio Bx2 or Bronze 2 or similar. We'll see how it pans out. I wasn't really looking for speakers, but sure what better reason to buy when your existing ones fault

I've always found RS good to deal with. Best to start with that in mind, and not begin with the assumption they're trying to swindle you!

Its rare for speakers to go wrong without any provocation, so worth checking there are no nasties going on in your system, as you don't want an encore!

Good luck.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
nopiano said:
I've always found RS good to deal with. Best to start with that in mind, and not begin with the assumption they're trying to swindle you!

Its rare for speakers to go wrong without any provocation, so worth checking there are no nasties going on in your system, as you don't want an encore!

Good luck.

I don't think anyone is trying to swindle me. I was just having an online conversation.

I would not be 100% sure as how to check for nasties in the system. I have the marantz amp fed with a bluray and a streamer. Do you think it is possible this set up could have issues?

Thanks

muljao said:
nopiano said:

Good luck.

I don't think anyone is trying to swindle me. I was just having an online conversation.

I would not be 100% sure as how to check for nasties in the system. I have the marantz amp fed with a bluray and a streamer. Do you think it is possible this set up could have issues?

Thanks
Intrinsically it shouldn't but I just wondered if you had ever had any nasty noises or pops that could have damaged the driver.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Nothing like that. Just when i listened to the song I mentioned, when I pushed the volume just a little, the speaker had a crazy vibrating sound, it was like a cheap speaker at full volume, without it being very loud.

muljao said:
Nothing like that. Just when i listened to the song I mentioned, when I pushed the volume just a little, the speaker had a crazy vibrating sound, it was like a cheap speaker at full volume, without it being very loud.
I think that must have been the point at which it 'blew'. Unless there were very loud high or low frequencies that shouldn't have been the cause. I hope you get them fixed ok!

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
nopiano said:
muljao said:
I think that must have been the point at which it 'blew'. Unless there were very loud high or low frequencies that shouldn't have been the cause. I hope you get them fixed ok!

Thanks. To be honest if one blew at the volumes I listen to music, it's a poor show

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
muljao said:
nopiano said:
muljao said:

Thanks. To be honest if one blew at the volumes I listen to music, it's a poor show

Sometimes fail, it happens. Worse case is when a drive unit is perhaps slightly out of spec, poorly alligned or with a minor manufacturing fault. These should be picked up but given the minimal testing carried out on budget and mainstream models, are often missed. The result is poor performance in very specific areas, difficult unless you can demonstrate the precise problem.

It is worth pointing out that the overwhelming majority of failed speakers have been overdriven in one way or another. No idea if that is the case in this instance, but be aware that the retailer and his service people will have to deal with hundreds of 'blown' speakers and may well assume yours is too, statisically. they are usually correct.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
davedotco said:
muljao said:
nopiano said:
muljao said:

I think that must have been the point at which it 'blew'.  Unless there were very loud high or low frequencies that shouldn't have been the cause.  I hope you get them fixed ok!

Sometimes fail, it happens. Worse case is when a drive unit is perhaps slightly out of spec, poorly alligned or with a minor manufacturing fault. These should be picked up but given the minimal testing carried out on budget and mainstream models, are often missed. The result is poor performance in very specific areas, difficult unless you can demonstrate the precise problem.

It is worth pointing out that the overwhelming majority of failed speakers have been overdriven in one way or another. No idea if that is the case in this instance, but be aware that the retailer and his service people will have to deal with hundreds of 'blown' speakers and may well assume yours is too, statisically. they are usually correct.

It could very well be blown. It didn't sound that way at lower volume even with the piano music that highlighted the vibration sound, and some other music it didn't vibrate at all.

I rarely listen loud, but even the few times I did with these speakers it wasn't very loud. I certainly had the q acoustics 2020i in my other room pushed a lot harder at times with no issues.

Either way anyway, black Friday weekend is a bad time for your equipment to break. 2 emails later, speakers sent back and no reply or update of any description, and the phone is to busy

insider9

muljao said:
3 (unanswered) emails and a few phone calls later, still no update. I am not having as good an experience as some of the previous posters
Might be worth writing a review on their website describing in details how you feel. They'll be calling you themselves within a few days.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Hi Insider9,

by chance I received an email about an hour after I posted this. They said they could not fault the speakers. This is the worst answer for me because I know there is a fault, whether thay can find it or not. I got a second opinion from a friend before I disconnected and sent them off (paid for by me I may add).

So I rang them. Basically they can't fault them, and I have them to long (3 months) to get any swap or allowance against anything else. They did say they would call me later in case there as something else they could do but no promises. I have bought for myself and on behlf of my father Q acoustics 2020i, q acoustics 2010i, the cambridge audio sx50, a jbl flip 3 and a set of mission stancette stands since august, but thats probably small change to them. I certainly don't feel like a valued customer

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
ChrisIRL said:
Can you hook other speakers up and play same track at same volume? Just to rule anything else out.

I have done that. My q acoustics 2020i are now in place of the sx 50s. I also swapped the original speakers around and the fault went from left to right. One speaker is faulty. And the volume I was at was not high at all. It was not low, but not what one would say is blasting

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Well i take it all back. Richer Sounds were into me and have done a full refund, apologised for the trouble and when I told them I would order another set of someting different they even doen deal on the price. I am delighted and though it took a while the outcome is what counts

insider9

muljao said:
Well i take it all back. Richer Sounds were into me and have done a full refund, apologised for the trouble and when I told them I would order another set of someting different they even doen deal on the price. I am delighted and though it took a while the outcome is what counts
Fantastic result. All that matters. I must say I was surprised with your earlier post saying they found nothing wrong. Luckily you used a reputable company. RS may take a while but the usually get it right.

I think, the best part of it is you've realised just how good your QA are. Undoubtedly you're going to stick to them now :)

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Thanks. And yes I ordered Q Acoustics 3020 as a replacement. I am super happy with the 2020i and the only reason I went for 3020 over them was they are 50mm less deep and have no groove underneath resulting in a flat back. They will fit better and I can un-DIY the bracket I had jimmied to make the 2020i fit in the first place.

I'd imagine performance wise that they will be very similar (at least I hope the 3020 are as good)

TRENDING THREADS