Fault with my Samsung!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Stuart.W.D

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Oh no! Thanks for letting me know, do you know what you’re going to do now?

I will hold off now and wait for the 2021 Flagship 4K models gel. My big worry now is I think all the top engineers are already exclusive to the 8K projects. Hopefully the new sets will have some discount off for the Euro's 🤞🏻

I just read WHF 3 star review on the Panasonic HZ2000B. These flagships models are not doing so well 😞

D

Deleted member 2457

I will hold off now and wait for the 2021 Flagship 4K models gel. My big worry now is I think all the top engineers are already exclusive to the 8K projects. Hopefully the new sets will have some discount off for the Euro's 🤞🏻

I just read WHF 3 star review on the Panasonic HZ2000B. These flagships models are not doing so well 😞
Just read this review of the 900t 8K model and it has judder too:

I seem to be getting somewhere with Samsung with mine, just waiting to hear back. If I get a 2020 Samsung though it looks like it will have judder too.

Stuart.W.D

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Just read this review of the 900t 8K model and it has judder too:

I seem to be getting somewhere with Samsung with mine, just waiting to hear back. If I get a 2020 Samsung though it looks like it will have judder too.

No problem regarding motion with Netflix or YouTube. Sky worked well most of the time. However, football was the real deal breaker for me. While watching the Man Utd vs Liverpool game on the BBC broadcast on Sky, there was a judder motion issue . The frame rate drops for two seconds or so and then the motion will catch up. Any time the game would go to an instant replay, the frame rate drops then catches back up. Jurgen Klopp face had a strange twitch when the camera zoomed to the sidelines. The ball and players feet could get blurred out also! @whathifi you really need to test a full 90 minute game of football on the BBC during your 2021 reviews of the Samsung QLED's please!

The problem seems to be Sky sets the output frame rate to 50 frames per seconds (fps) however, the content on Netflix and YouTube etc has a different frame rate (24 fps)

I think I will hold of to see how the Samsung QN90A gets on. The new Philips 9639 looks interesting - 2000 nits peak brightness and 1000 dimming zones with mini led backlight and (12 bit colour)

Gel how do 8k TVs get on with upscaling do you see much noise in HD content at all

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 2457
D

Deleted member 2457

No problem regarding motion with Netflix or YouTube. Sky worked well most of the time. However, football was the real deal breaker for me. While watching the Man Utd vs Liverpool game on the BBC broadcast on Sky, there was a judder motion issue . The frame rate drops for two seconds or so and then the motion will catch up. Any time the game would go to an instant replay, the frame rate drops then catches back up. Jurgen Klopp face had a strange twitch when the camera zoomed to the sidelines. The ball and players feet could get blurred out also! @whathifi you really need to test a full 90 minute game of football on the BBC during your 2021 reviews of the Samsung QLED's please!

The problem seems to be Sky sets the output frame rate to 50 frames per seconds (fps) however, the content on Netflix and YouTube etc has a different frame rate (24 fps)

I think I will hold of to see how the Samsung QN90A gets on. The new Philips 9639 looks interesting - 2000 nits peak brightness and 1000 dimming zones with mini led backlight and (12 bit colour)

Gel how do 8k TVs get on with upscaling do you see much noise in HD content at all
My 2019 8K Samsung is great with upscaling but I have read there is grain on the 2020 upscaling though. How on earth did the Samsung 2020 QLED’s get so many great reviews?

Reactions: Stuart.W.D

Stuart.W.D

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
My 2019 8K Samsung is great with upscaling but I have read there is grain on the 2020 upscaling though. How on earth did the Samsung 2020 QLED’s get so many great reviews?

Makes you wonder how they actually test these TVs .. 🤔

If you play only movies from HD to 4k hdr on the Samsung Q90T, you would certainly give this panel a glowing review. Spend some time during normal broadcasting from TV chat shows to live sports, you would quickly begin to notice the faults. Took me under one week to find this out and i returned the unit. Feel bad for the people who are stuck with the 2020 QLED range

I will use Vincent Teoh as my guideline for my next TV purchase. To his credit he will always mention screen uniformity and motion issues in his reviews

I would like to see @whathifi introduce screen uniformity tests and judder/stutter tables to the review. They could score uniformity and motion from 1 - 5 and add that to the final review rating...

At present under WHF TV rating

We see
Picture 1-5
Sound 1-5
Features 1-5

I would prefer the What Hi Fi TV rating to be more detailed 👇🏻

Screen Uniformity 1-5
Motion 1-5
Peak Brightness 1-5
Colour Accuracy 1-5
Local dimming 1-5
Features 1-5
Sound 1-5

D

Deleted member 2457

Makes you wonder how they actually test these TVs .. 🤔

If you play only movies from HD to 4k hdr on the Samsung Q90T, you would certainly give this panel a glowing review. Spend some time during normal broadcasting from TV chat shows to live sports, you would quickly begin to notice the faults. Took me under one week to find this out and i returned the unit. Feel bad for the people who are stuck with the 2020 QLED range

I will use Vincent Teoh as my guideline for my next TV purchase. To his credit he will always mention screen uniformity and motion issues in his reviews

I would like to see @whathifi introduce screen uniformity tests and judder/stutter tables to the review. They could score uniformity and motion from 1 - 5 and add that to the final review rating...

At present under WHF TV rating

We see
Picture 1-5
Sound 1-5
Features 1-5

I would prefer the What Hi Fi TV rating to be more detailed 👇🏻

Screen Uniformity 1-5
Motion 1-5
Peak Brightness 1-5
Colour Accuracy 1-5
Local dimming 1-5
Features 1-5
Sound 1-5
Yes, I did cotton on in the last week that Vincent had noticed the motion issues and mentioned them. Whereas WHF say the motion has improved on last years sets - huh! Steve Withers also fails to notice the motion issues on the Samsung’s 2020 review.

D

Deleted member 2457

Looks like I am getting a brand new TV, either the same as mine (if they have one), or the equivalent model from the 2020 range.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 2457

More here about stutter and judder on Samsung’s website:

Stuart.W.D

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
More here about stutter and judder on Samsung’s website:

If you can hold out for the 2021 sets, that would be good business. You like your football as well Gel. This issue with football is the reason I returned my TV.
My advice would be if you watch a lot of sports on Sky don't bother.

If anyone wants to try these 2020 QLED models watch a couple of football matches. Try tipping point as well. Before the 14 - 28 day window expires.

For anyone buying these sets purely for Apple TV and Netflix will love them. Contrast, peak brightness and a solid local dimming. Great build quality and sound is also very good. The Samsung apps are not available on the TV if you live in Ireland, so the features are limited compared to the UK

D

Deleted member 2457

If you can hold out for the 2021 sets, that would be good business. You like your football as well Gel. This issue with football is the reason I returned my TV.
My advice would be if you watch a lot of sports on Sky don't bother.

If anyone wants to try these 2020 QLED models watch a couple of football matches. Try tipping point as well. Before the 14 - 28 day window expires.

For anyone buying these sets purely for Apple TV and Netflix will love them. Contrast, peak brightness and a solid local dimming. Great build quality and sound is also very good. The Samsung apps are not available on the TV if you live in Ireland, so the features are limited compared to the UK
What‘s Apple TV app like? And YouTube? Yes, I do like my football I may well watch that downstairs though. Also 4K Blu-ray and Blu-ray What’s that like please?

D

Deleted member 2457

I think I am going to have to give Samsung a decision soon, so I doubt I will be able to wait for the 2021 TVs.

Stuart.W.D

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
What‘s Apple TV app like? And YouTube? Yes, I do like my football I may well watch that downstairs though. Also 4K Blu-ray and Blu-ray What’s that like please?

I had no issues regarding Apple TV, Netflix, YouTube or Roku. Sky presented the frame rate issue. I only caught one documentary on Amazon Prime. I only had the set 4 days really, Netflix and YouTube was what I used 90% of the time! I don't own any 4k Blu Ray players so I cannot comment on that.

D

Deleted member 2457

I had no issues regarding Apple TV, Netflix, YouTube or Roku. Sky presented the frame rate issue. I only caught one documentary on Amazon Prime. I only had the set 4 days really, Netflix and YouTube was what I used 90% of the time! I don't own any 4k Blu Ray players so I cannot comment on that.
Thanks mate. (y)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts