F1 in HD next year ?

daveh75

Saw the comment yesterday, and ignored it tbh. Since Ecclestone has commented numerous times that he wouldn't provide an HD feed until there was sufficient audiences to view it.

And of course,being in HD won't make F1 any less dull
emotion-5.gif

ukdavej

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
In other words.... never. I don't think F1 will get a significantly larger audience than it has already. It isn't really a spectator sport. You either like it or you don't. Take yesterday, I quite like F1 and enjoyed the Singapore race. However, it was a boring race on the whole and I cannot imagine people being on the edges of their seats and eager to tune in next time.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Well, viewing figures might not rise dramatically more than they are currently, but that's not to say the number of people who want HD broadcasts won't. As Freeview HD sets become more common, the number of F1 fans who want it to be broadcast in HD will increase. And that's just in the UK, let alone the rest of the European market.

And for F1 fans, yesterday's race wasn't boring - like any sport, you have to understand the nuances and subtleties of it to appreciate it. My other half was drawn more and more into the action as I commented on what was going on with the Red Bull and McLaren tactics (much to her annoyance after a while as she was trying to get some work done!). It's similar to when you sometimes hear people who don't generally watch football commenting on how dull a match is because there haven't been 18 goals in first half - quite often, the quality of football on show can be fantastic but it's lost unless you know what you're looking at.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
professorhat:
Well, viewing figures might not rise dramatically more than they are currently, but that's not to say the number of people who want HD broadcasts won't. As Freeview HD sets become more common, the number of F1 fans who want it to be broadcast in HD will increase. And that's just in the UK, let alone the rest of the European market.

And for F1 fans, yesterday's race wasn't boring - like any sport, you have to understand the nuances and subtleties of it to appreciate it. My other half was drawn more and more into the action as I commented on what was going on with the Red Bull and McLaren tactics (much to her annoyance after a while as she was trying to get some work done!). It's similar to when you sometimes hear people who don't generally watch football commenting on how dull a match is because there haven't been 18 goals in first half - quite often, the quality of football on show can be fantastic but it's lost unless you know what you're looking at.

emotion-21.gif

I love the strategic element of any F1 race. It's like chess, but with really fast pieces (that can crash/catch fire at any minute
emotion-2.gif
)

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Clare Newsome:professorhat:

emotion-21.gif

I love the strategic element of any F1 race. It's like chess, but with really fast pieces (that can crash/catch fire at any minute
emotion-2.gif
)

emotion-21.gif

Spot on guys!!

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
I love the the idea of new tracks next year and the threat of any older tracks who fall behind will be replaced . I think F1 is a lot more than just the cars and who drive them , its also the places and Paddock Girls!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I know it's going to become more money orientated, but they best not lose any of the decent tracks - and when I mean dcent tracks, I mean the ones that aren't dead boring like the Valencia street circuit. If they ever removed tracks like Spa, Suzuka, Montreal or Monte Carlo, I'd rapidly lose interest.

Russell Finch

Nov 3, 2008
Visit site
About time too Mr Ecclestone. It was pretty laughable that F1 was claiming to be some kind of pinnacle of technology while being the only global sport which wasn't transmitted in HD.

Now if we could get some of that technology out of the cars, the racing might improve.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
If F1 looked like it did in the late 70's early 80's (smooth and soft) I could watch that as it reminds me of my childhood. But watching the fuzzy, digitised mess that we get now just isn't acceptable.

TRENDING THREADS