External Harddrive

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
Apologies if this is the wrong place, but...

My laptop is jammed full of music, photos and videos so I wanted to buy an external hard drive to store (and also it would be useful should my laptop ever die/get pilfered!).

Are they pretty much all the same? Do they work wired/wirelessly? I'm guessing a terabyte is more than I'll ever need? How much should I spend on one of these?

Can I get a cloud one too, and do I have to pay for the privilege of cloudspace?

thanks

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
mainly I want a back-up to make sure the last 5 years of photos, home videos and a lot of ripped music doesn't go awol if my laptop dies or is stolen. Perhaps one day I'll add a Sonos system, so NAS would be good for that, but I'm sure a wired system would work just as well?

If I have stuff on my harddrive can I start freeing up space on my laptop too, or would the HDD auto-sync to the laptop?

Basically, I'd like to not spend a fortune on this, seeing as it's only a back-up system!

A

Anonymous

I would probably be looking at a NAS for your requirements.

An external HD would be fine for backing up your laptop I have a samsung drive for this purpose. However, you mention the possibility of streaming in the future and also moving files off your laptop.

HDDs can fail so it best not to have your data on just one drive. Either get a two bay NAS and mirror or buy a single drive NAS and an external HD to make an additional copy.

T

the record spot

If it's a simple back-up, then check out Amazon for the external HDD I use (or similar). £50 for 1TB, around £70 for 2TB. You migth want to buy two. I plug mine into the Onkyo via USB for music, but it has some of my photos of the kids, work stuff for my company and so on. Runs cool, never had a problem yet and it's always on. Great value, good solid brand - can't recommend it enough. You could get two 1TB HDDs for £100 thus giving you a backup for your backups. Job done.

bearwolfblade

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
the record spot said:
If it's a simple back-up, then check out Amazon for the external HDD I use (or similar). £50 for 1TB, around £70 for 2TB. You migth want to buy two. I plug mine into the Onkyo via USB for music, but it has some of my photos of the kids, work stuff for my company and so on. Runs cool, never had a problem yet and it's always on. Great value, good solid brand - can't recommend it enough. You could get two 1TB HDDs for £100 thus giving you a backup for your backups. Job done.
due to the shortage of HDDs your probably looking at at least £90 each now

T

the record spot

They've gone up, but not that much; the one I use is £74 now, but the 2TB version is only £85. Still cheap given that two years ago, they'd probably have been somewhere near £200.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts