External DAC or music server

mond

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Dear all,

I would like to hear your ideas - i love the idea of having music stored on a pc (some currenly already ripped / downloaded - some still on cd) or server but I want to keep it simple as I am already running out of sockets and have little space - this is for a static caravan!!

I have looked at possibly buying an Olive 3 HD but the review on these pages made me think twice - and I cannot afford the 4HD. The other idea I have is to buy a good quality dac like a benchmark or ps audio digital link.

my current system is Linn Classik and Linn Kans - so why such an expensive dac - because if I switch from CD to PC i want it to be an upgrade of sound quality and not a downward slide. If it does not sound BETTER then I will not bother! Also I thought with a good dac at the heart I could later build a better system around it and add a power amp etc

so the question is would a good dac via my pc into the LINN make a big difference or would something like an Olive sound as good as the Classik (which does still sound pretty good)? I did like the idea of of a Linn Sneaky - but this involves a NAS and server and sounds like a hastle to set up - i would rather keep it simple if possible. Anyone heard a benchmark or ps audio etc through a classik? the downside is I could not use the Linn Classik cd player thruogh the dac - i dont think?

thanks in advane

Mond

A

Anonymous

This is a good idea. Shouldn't be hard to significantly improve the sound of the Classic with a ~£1k dac. I haven't heard the Olive products but I suspect if you are okay with computers then computer audio is going to be better value (assuming you have a suitable computer already). NAS servers can be very easy to setup, but if you get stuck...

There are lots of DAC choices to audition, some with usb/firewire connections, some not: second hand options would include Cyrus, Benchmark, Weiss dac2, Chord dacs (a 2nd hand DAC 64 is a bargain really), Musical Fidelity dacs, as well as new ones such as Naim, PS Audio PWD (very good & currently on ex-dem offer at Audio Warehouse btw), Wavelength Proton, M2Tech Young, the Burson 160D which I can highly recommend (altho they are releasing a dedicated dac later this year).

Sometimes the usb connections built into dacs are not that great, and the technology is improving rapidly in that area so it may be worth waiting for that. But for now the best reasonably priced usb-spdiff options are probably M2Tech Evo & Halide Design Bridge which will be enough to make a significant improvement on internal usb conversion.

The PWD has a Bridge add-on option which is apparently excellent for computer audio.

You could also maybe compare your Classic with the Peachtree Audio Decco 2.

mond

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Hi Pete,

thanks for your response. I will certainly look into these options - especially the dacs you mention. I agree it may be a good idea to wait as new products seem to be coming out all the time aimed at linking a pc to a hifi. I do have a reasonable sony laptop and I am ok with computers - I just did not like the idea of having to purchase lots of separate parts to to this job e.g server, NAS i-pod etc.

Another product I look forward to hearing is the Musical Fedelity CLiC digital streamer which I believe will be coming out in the spring....in the meantime I will visit the Bristol sound and vision show and see if there is anything there of interest......

cheers

mond

mond

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Hello again and thanks for the responses.

I have looked into these options and like what I read about some - the M2Tech Young (seems like good option) and the Wavelength but it would be difficult to audition these as they do not turn up on the high st very often (if at all) the Perfect Wave looks great but even the ex-dem is a bit out of reach - £1000 is about my max budget - and the add on bridge bit seems to be another £700!

this brings me back to my original question of whether a Linn Sneaky would do a better job than a 1k Dac? I know they dont really do the same job as the Linn is a digital streamer and needs a network connection. I believe with the Linn I need a NAS divice - a QNAP for example but this seems to add another £230 from Peter Tyson which makes it about a grand in total (I think that is all I need?) which is the same price as a Benchmark DAC.

so i still wonder if the Sneaky + NAS is a better option than a good USB dac as the Linn gets very good reviews but involves more boxes to purchase and set up! If using the sneaky the Linn Classik becomes virtually redundant so would remove the need to upgrade the Classik by adding a power amp (which I have discovered I cannot do with by Kan speakers as they have only one set of speaker terminals each!)

as you can tell my head is still hurting a bit with all the options and I dont quite understand all the technology e.g. Twonky, UPNP etc so I may still wait and see what develops........

A

Anonymous

I went through quite a long decision process chosing DACs, and ended up with a Cyrus preXPD qx (I wanted a pre-facility too) which which I am delighted as an improvemnet over the on-board DAC on the SB Touch and on a out board DAC Magic. On my list was the the Bechmark DAC HDR, and I also audtioned the Naim DAC . These are all superb top flight bits of kit and a definate step up from server/streamer integrated DAC solutions I have heard. I'd be happy with any of them, but preferred the Cyrus.

However DAC chips are getting cheaper and, as posted elsewhere, I would expect this year to see the quality of DACs improve in the lower market offerings (sub £1000.)

There is no reason that a well chosen DAC with server should not offer just as much listening pleasure as a CD player. More possibly. I stuck a Cyrus CD8 into my system in order to listen to 24 and 16 bit FLACs on the computer based systems, alongside 16 bit original CDs. Switching from source to source was not obvious to my ears, and both both pleasurable and involving.

Once you have your collection digitised in right format, I found it hard to imagine going back to single title source and fiddling with CDs. Accessing a couple fo thousand CDs at your fingertips is very liberating. Very tidy too.

manicm

mond:

Hello again and thanks for the responses.

I have looked into these options and like what I read about some - the M2Tech Young (seems like good option) and the Wavelength but it would be difficult to audition these as they do not turn up on the high st very often (if at all) the Perfect Wave looks great but even the ex-dem is a bit out of reach - £1000 is about my max budget - and the add on bridge bit seems to be another £700!

this brings me back to my original question of whether a Linn Sneaky would do a better job than a 1k Dac? I know they dont really do the same job as the Linn is a digital streamer and needs a network connection. I believe with the Linn I need a NAS divice - a QNAP for example but this seems to add another £230 from Peter Tyson which makes it about a grand in total (I think that is all I need?) which is the same price as a Benchmark DAC.

so i still wonder if the Sneaky + NAS is a better option than a good USB dac as the Linn gets very good reviews but involves more boxes to purchase and set up! If using the sneaky the Linn Classik becomes virtually redundant so would remove the need to upgrade the Classik by adding a power amp (which I have discovered I cannot do with by Kan speakers as they have only one set of speaker terminals each!)

as you can tell my head is still hurting a bit with all the options and I dont quite understand all the technology e.g. Twonky, UPNP etc so I may still wait and see what develops........

The total Linn solution is not cheap. As you said it's Sneaky DS + NAS, then you need a control point - best bet is an iPod Touch or iPad, and a few quid more for software. You'll probably also want to beef up your home network with a seperate switch.

Also, Linn DS is a wired solution - factor in some proper DIY and don't court divorce. Your Linn dealer will best advise you, taking into account your home layout.

However I think in the long run this solution is more future-proof. You can also consider a Naim UnitiQute instead of the Linn. The UnitiQute is an all-in-one streamer with good amplification, a DAB and FM tuner, and digital iPod connectivity plus USB stick/drive playback. Very versatile.

And to confuse you further, I would not dismiss the Olive 3HD out of hand, I've read another very favourable review of it. Audition if you can.

mond

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply - the Naim UnitiQuute does in fact look like a good option, I also notice it has a usb connection that you can plug a memory stick straight into - this could be an interesting solution to playing some downloaded or ripped music without having to plug the pc in. I also like the radio options with this unit. I do wonder though if I would to some extent be throwing the baby out with the bath water as the Linn Classik which I am now using already has amplification - so in effect I am replacing the whole system instead of adding something on e.g a DAC. So I suppose if the amps in the Naim are far superior to the Linn this could be an option but I am not sure if that would be the case........I will try and hear one though :)

manicm

mond:

Thanks for the reply - the Naim UnitiQuute does in fact look like a good option, I also notice it has a usb connection that you can plug a memory stick straight into - this could be an interesting solution to playing some downloaded or ripped music without having to plug the pc in. I also like the radio options with this unit. I do wonder though if I would to some extent be throwing the baby out with the bath water as the Linn Classik which I am now using already has amplification - so in effect I am replacing the whole system instead of adding something on e.g a DAC. So I suppose if the amps in the Naim are far superior to the Linn this could be an option but I am not sure if that would be the case........I will try and hear one though :)

If you want to keep your Linn for amplification, then why not get a Squeezebox Touch? Heard lots of good things about it, and it's not too pricey. You can always sell it off, but if you're happy then you could upgrade it with an external DAC.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts