Extending hdmi

adamm

Mar 3, 2009
Visit site
Hi all just bought a new 50in tv to replace my 8 year old 42in, put the new one on the wall bracket and the hdmi cable that is buried in th wall is about 7in to short to fit into the new tv ! What are my best options apart from stripping wallpaper pulling cable out re plastering etc. etc.

Many thanks Adam

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
That must be quite annoying :wall:

Easiest / cheapest option is probably something like this or this and another shorter cable. No idea what that will do to affect quality (depends on your view point on HDMI cables I guess). If you're really worried about this though, I think stripping / re-plastering is your only option.

Juzzie Wuzzie

I had the same issue as above - and used a coupler HDMI-HDMI and a 0.3mtr Wireworld Chroma 6 HDMI cable to get the extra length required. Somewhat annoying (and lesson learned) given I have around a spare 1.0mtr at the other end! Given I placed my front left / right speakers to wide of the television as well, I'd be keen to redo, and replaster as the Professor suggests - but it would be pointless as the "boss" would probably suggest I find somewhere new to live.

For what it is worth, my picture / sound / etc all seems fine, although I've never done an A/B comparison as it is a necessary evil of a solution.

johnjay

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
any worrying bout deterioration of sound/pq due to add ons or adaptors:DONT! Ive wasted (due to non braincell use) 100s of mula trying to better pq,sound with a £10.000 system on various "recommended" HDMI cables.Yes you will get a better made cable,but your bits stay the same at either end imo.

johnjay

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
"lifes too short" says the chappie with almost 10.000 posts.But lets face it i can't think of a better way of lifetime use than talking bout this amazing pastime.But This nearly all-digital age is the new HIFI banter....though.A stream used to be a little river....

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Instant response was I was going to put a serious response to these two posts, but then I woke up.

Peace dudes
130px-Peace_symbol.svg.png

johnjay

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
erm...ok.Where do you stand in regards to expensive HDMI leads vs. good quality budget priced cables? in regards to P-Q & sound. if your using an reciever of course for A/V. peace back man.

johnjay said:
erm...ok.Where do you stand in regards to expensive HDMI leads vs. good quality budget priced cables? in regards to P-Q & sound. if your using an reciever of course for A/V. peace back man.

FYI, Prof. Hat uses 10 or 15m ThatCable which is a cheap but good quality cable. Honestly, it's now pointless to talk about cheap vs expensive HDMI cable. This topic has been done to death with, numerous times in the past. One only needs to search the forum for the posts, demo the cables personally & make up his / her mind as to whether they believe HDMI cables make a difference or not.

A

Anonymous

The quality of a digital interconnects makes no difference. The sender merely sends a stream of bytes at a clock rate. If this becomes distorted due to interferrence then either i) the bits won't get there and you get pixellation/stutter ii) the bits get jumbled up and you still get pixelation/stutter. Pictures and sound are not decoded in such a way that a slight change in a bit stream would change colour or sound quality, instead a slight change would completely change the picture or sound (most often resulting in no picture or sound for a slight moment).

Think about your DAB or freeview box because the principle is the same. If you have a bad signal (the transmission is simple sending a stream of bytes to make up an mpeg decoding to your aerial, so there loads of interferrence there) your tv picture stutters, otherwise you get a picture. The picture, put simply, is either there or it isn't. There's no inbetweeen. For a HDMI cable, you really won't see problems until you start using cables greater than 15m, which is a limit in the technology, not the cable.

A

Anonymous

I wouldn't even spend £50 on a HDMI cable: get yourself to poundland. I picked up a 2 metre cable in there and it works perfectly.

johnjay

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
are you professorhat or one of those mime dummys that sits on his lap ....i was personally asking pro hats opinion as per his responce,i wasnt even asking the "bigboss",fyi of course.

johnjay

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
actually i also use a 3 mtr thatcable,i got it for my cable box & it works the same as a qed-p cable.I compared them going direct too my tv using avatar on a pio lx52 bdp.There are good moments all through that flick to compare pic & sound quality.as we all know of course.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
johnjay said:
are you professorhat or one of those mime dummys that sits on his lap ....i was personally asking pro hats opinion as per his responce,i wasnt even asking the "bigboss",fyi of course.

Nice, keep it up mate, you're making me look good (that's not something to be proud of incidentally).

johnjay

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
professorhat said:
Prof Hat had better things to do with his weekend I'm afraid. Till now of course. So my opinion of HDMI cables is... actually, nah, think I'll do the ironing instead.
Find doing a few dishes is always good...

johnjay

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
bigboss said:
No reason to attack & insult me this way. Please maintain decorum.
Im sorry if it seemed that way,to not answer op's posts would also be keeping with decorum,yes? Seriously my intention was not to offend you,if i did,apologies.:)

johnjay

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
professorha said:
This thread diverged from the OP's question a long time ago so I think anything's fair game now. How about them Swans eh?
I was only pointing out my personal experience with high-end vs. budget cables & couplers/adapters,to be told the topic had been dealt with even though the thread is about hdmi extension.The lifes too short & puppet quips weren't meant to offend anybody for which i apologised.Are you refering to the swans in the little rivers...led by michael gira....

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
johnjay said:
professorhat said:
This thread diverged from the OP's question a long time ago so I think anything's fair game now. How about them Swans eh?

I was only pointing out my personal experience with high-end vs. budget cables & couplers/adapters,to be told the topic had been dealt with even though the thread is about hdmi extension.

And it has. Feel free to browse through here and see for yourself (you'll then see why I decided to do the ironing instead).

johnjay said:
Are you refering to the swans in the little rivers...led by michael gira....

Sure, why not.

johnjay

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Nice, keep it up mate, you're making me look good (that's not something to be proud of incidentally).
Why are you one of the indifferenters to clichéd brand affinity even if the kit in question stinks?:) & to think this started with myself naively reminding anyone doubtful about budget hdmi gadgets,not to be doubtful....ah well lesson learned as they say.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts