Ext. Hard Drive to Amp

Dermondo

Oct 4, 2009
Visit site
Hi, with my Denon amp I can plug my iPhone via usb to my amp and also a memory stick to playback music, but if I plug my hard drive which has all my music uncompressed I get a connection failure.

Is this down to that my ext. hd is NTFS and memory stick is FAT32, is there anyway to allow my Denon amp to read music from ext. hd, many thanks in advance to all who reply.

Dermondo

Oct 4, 2009
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Yes it's probably the NTFS formatting. Is the disk big enough to create another FAT32 partition and transfer it from one partition to the other? What model Denon is it?

Hi, it's a Denon 2311, and the ext. amp is a 500gb iomega and twin usb powered.

A

Anonymous

Do u mean you have 1 partition of 500gb or 1 partition of 250gb ?

If its the former u need to shrink the volume, so u can create another partition which u can do in windows 7 or vista using diskmanager.

Right click on mycomputer, and then select manage. Then u want the diskmanager tool.

Use diskmanager to create the partition and then this little util to format in fat32.

http://www.pendriveapps.com/goto/HERE/4090/2

Dermondo

Oct 4, 2009
Visit site
edsib1:

Do u mean you have 1 partition of 500gb or 1 partition of 250gb ?

If its the former u need to shrink the volume, so u can create another partition which u can do in windows 7 or vista using diskmanager.

Right click on mycomputer, and then select manage. Then u want the diskmanager tool.

Use diskmanager to create the partition and then this little util to format in fat32.

http://www.pendriveapps.com/goto/HERE/4090/2

I never formatted the drive or anything when I got and just put data on it from day 1.

Using Windows XP O.S.

At the moment there is approx. 250 used and about same left over on ext. HD, so want to create a partition on the drive and format using Fat 32 and can I then transfers audio file to the new partition using Fat32 to enable Denon amp to read files.

A

Anonymous

So u have 1 partition of 500gb of which 250gb is free? Unfortunately Windows xp does not have the facility to shrink a disk partition.

So ur best bet is probably to copy the files somewhere temporarily, reformat the drive to fat32 using the above utility and then copy them back.

Dermondo

Oct 4, 2009
Visit site
Hi, i've sorted it by creating a new partition of the hard drive and naming it then formating it in FAT32, then dragging music folders form to the new partition, plug it in amp and hey presto it reads the files and works a treat.

Any idea as im a bit new to this what is the best quality regarding music files.

A

Anonymous

FLAC is best quality for ur denon (lossless). An album in flac will take up around 300MB

If ur short on space then mp3 variable or > 190kbps. An Album at his rate takes up around 100MB

Dermondo

Oct 4, 2009
Visit site
edsib1:

FLAC is best quality for ur denon (lossless). An album in flac will take up around 300MB

If ur short on space then mp3 variable or > 190kbps. An Album at his rate takes up around 100MB

Thanks again, flac it is then, .

Am I correct in saying that flac is not compatible with iTunes and is apple lossless any good.

A

Anonymous

Itunes can be made to play flac. Apple lossless is a propiertary equivalent of flac.

Itunes makes no real sense unless you have other Apple products as it ties u into the Apple world imo.

A

Anonymous

Definitely keep with flac and don't go to iTunes. This way you will be able to play anything, once it's encoded to flac, which is true lossless. Once you convert/trans-code files to ALAC (Apple lossless copy of FLAC) then you are stuck with only being able to use Apple products to play them.

Dermondo

Oct 4, 2009
Visit site
real.africa:Definitely keep with flac and don't go to iTunes. This way you will be able to play anything, once it's encoded to flac, which is true lossless. Once you convert/trans-code files to ALAC (Apple lossless copy of FLAC) then you are stuck with only being able to use Apple products to play them.

Hi, I have some music encoded on flac but my Denon 2311 would recognise it, any ideas...........

cram

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
real.africa:Once you convert/trans-code files to ALAC (Apple lossless copy of FLAC) then you are stuck with only being able to use Apple products to play them.

That's not really true is it. Sure Flac probably has wider support but its a myth to say apple lossless means that you are locked into playback only on Apple kit

A

Anonymous

Sorry - I should have spotted this earlier...

The 2311 does not support flac - only the 3311 and higher do. Ur limited to wma (up to 192kbps), mp3 & aac (up to 320kbps)

I suggest you take this as an opportunity to get a full 1080p mediaplayer (around £100) like a playonHD, Xstreamer, WDLive etc that will allow u to play practically any video and audio formats.

Dermondo

Oct 4, 2009
Visit site
edsib1:

Sorry - I should have spotted this earlier...

The 2311 does not support flac - only the 3311 and higher do. Ur limited to wma (up to 192kbps), mp3 & aac (up to 320kbps)

I suggest you take this as an opportunity to get a full 1080p mediaplayer (around £100) like a playonHD, Xstreamer, WDLive etc that will allow u to play practically any video and audio formats.

Cool, thanks for the info........

TRENDING THREADS