Denon Heos Multi-Room Drive alternative

MynamesJeff

Mar 11, 2024
Visit site
Hi all.
I have a Denon Heos HS2 drive which allows me to play music in zones around the house.
Unfortunately, the unit has a major fault whereby the part needed is discontinued and therefore makes the unit redundant.
Could someone recommend a similar multi room solution which will play through my existing wired speakers?
Ideally i want something a bit more cost effective than the 3k it cost to buy the Denon!
Many thanks

James105

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
Hi all.
I have a Denon Heos HS2 drive which allows me to play music in zones around the house.
Unfortunately, the unit has a major fault whereby the part needed is discontinued and therefore makes the unit redundant.
Could someone recommend a similar multi room solution which will play through my existing wired speakers?
Ideally i want something a bit more cost effective than the 3k it cost to buy the Denon!
Many thanks
Hi,

Which part of the Amp is u/s, are the power amp channels functional or the streaming side, or neither?

Replacement depends on how you use it, I assume all four zones all with independent source and volume controls or all playing the same simultaneously?

If the power amp sections work you could add inexpensive streamers of the same make and group them as a single set or separately?

MynamesJeff

Mar 11, 2024
Visit site
Hi,

Which part of the Amp is u/s, are the power amp channels functional or the streaming side, or neither?

Replacement depends on how you use it, I assume all four zones all with independent source and volume controls or all playing the same simultaneously?

If the power amp sections work you could add inexpensive streamers of the same make and group them as a single set or separately?
Hi. Thanks for replying.

No power unfortunately. Can't remember the part which is faulty but its not produced by Denon anymore.
Ideal scenario now would be a much cheaper alternative where I can play in multi rooms.
Also, would be open to having no multi room but able to decide which speakers to use.
Is that what you meant by streamers?
I'm a complete noob so if you could kinldy list some products names, that would be great.
Thanks

Fandango Andy

Hi all.
Many thanks
How many pairs of speakers are you using?

How many pairs of speakers do you use at the same time?

Are they all currently wired directly into the Denon?

What source do you mainly use?

MynamesJeff

Mar 11, 2024
Visit site
How many pairs of speakers are you using?

How many pairs of speakers do you use at the same time?

Are they all currently wired directly into the Denon?

What source do you mainly use?
Hey Andy - thanks for replying:
4 zones - 2 speakers per zone
Mostly use just 1 pair at a time
They were wired into Denon
By source do you mean where music is streamed from? Spotify

Fandango Andy

If you are only going to play one set of speakers at a time, you could just get any regular amp, and a switch box to select which set of speakers you use.

Alternatively, you could look at two amps that can run two sets of speakers each. The Marantz PM6007 is a cracking amp. List price of £379 you can get them for between £325 and £350.

As you have the cables in place for the old system you could just stack them. Or you could have close to two of the zones (are they on separate floors).

You then use a WiiM attached to each as a source. (When I asked about source, I this is what I mentioned, CD, Record Player, Streamer). There are three options for the WiiM, Minni, Pro, and Pro+. No point in getting the Pro, the Mini is just as good, you may consider the + as it has a better DAC. You could have one of each. These are multi room, so you can control from you mobile phone which one you send the music to. Or you stream to both simultaneously.

Reactions: MynamesJeff

Messiah

Out of interest, have you looked into getting it repaired by an independent person/company rather than Denon direct?

Might be possible to get it repaired with an alternative part.

Messiah

Another option is to get a speaker switcher like this (just picked the first site that came up):

QED 4-Way speaker switch

(I use on of these to run my kitchen/garden set-up)

This way you can pick 'any' amp and still use all 4 sets of speakers (only not at once!)

Only downside to this unit is the speaker cable terminals will not take thick cable.

(Also got mine real cheap on eBay - around £30).

Reactions: MynamesJeff

MynamesJeff

Mar 11, 2024
Visit site
Out of interest, have you looked into getting it repaired by an independent person/company rather than Denon direct?

Might be possible to get it repaired with an alternative part.
Yes, tried 2 independents, both came back saying the Denon are not producing that part anymore. Also took it abroad (Asia) but again no joy

Reactions: Messiah

MynamesJeff

Mar 11, 2024
Visit site
If you are only going to play one set of speakers at a time, you could just get any regular amp, and a switch box to select which set of speakers you use.

Alternatively, you could look at two amps that can run two sets of speakers each. The Marantz PM6007 is a cracking amp. List price of £379 you can get them for between £325 and £350.

As you have the cables in place for the old system you could just stack them. Or you could have close to two of the zones (are they on separate floors).

You then use a WiiM attached to each as a source. (When I asked about source, I this is what I mentioned, CD, Record Player, Streamer). There are three options for the WiiM, Minni, Pro, and Pro+. No point in getting the Pro, the Mini is just as good, you may consider the + as it has a better DAC. You could have one of each. These are multi room, so you can control from you mobile phone which one you send the music to. Or you stream to both simultaneously.
Really appreciate you taking the time to help mate.
Plenty of research for me to do now!
No doubt I'll be back very soon to ask more questions!!! Pre-warning you!

Reactions: Fandango Andy

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts