Experience with Henley Designs S/E Upgrade Kit for Pro-Ject?

iMark said:
On the Henley Designs website I found this S/E Upgrade Kit:

http://www.henleydesigns.co.uk/S/E%20Upgrade%20Kit-p841

Since it's a quite inexpensive upgrade, I would consider installing it on our 1Xpression III TT. Any members of the forum that have experience with this kit? Is it worth the GBP 25?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Have not used it myself but :-

"Measured against the default sound of the turntable and that of my fix, the new system produces a sound that is practically unmeasurable against the sound of the amp and the room."

That might tell you something. However if you are in need of a replacement belt anyway (they don't last forever) then the additional isolation washers for the motor might make it worth investing in. Otherwise just go down to your local B&Q store and pick up a couple of washers for pennies. I am pretty sure the change from flat to round section belt is going to make negligable difference in the resultant sound quality, but like I said if you are in need of a new belt anyway why not try it (it's only £7 dearer).

Henley

Nov 26, 2007
Visit site
In most cases it makes a considerable difference (you must have found one of the few forum posts where this is not the case) but it is dependant on isolation. However, it also allows you to tune the resonance frequency from the motor to suit your own installation.

The kit is now fitted as standard on Debut Carbon and Exprssion Carbon and the grommets are a custom material designed by Ortofon specifically for this purpose.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Henley said:
In most cases it makes a considerable difference (you must have found one of the few forum posts where this is not the case)

That quote's actually taken from your product page for the upgrade given by the OP.

Must admit I'm still not entirely sure what the quote is supposed to be saying...

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Why do dealers have to put their business details in their signatures but manufacturers/distributors do not? Even far more than a dealer, who may often post positive personal opinions 'as himself' regarding products he doesn't even stock, some posts by manufactuers/distributors plainly look like free adverts. Like that one. Let's be honest they're not exactly going to say 'yeah it makes sod all difference, get yourself down to B&Q and buy some washers'.

The_Lhc said:
Henley said:
In most cases it makes a considerable difference (you must have found one of the few forum posts where this is not the case)

That quote's actually taken from your product page for the upgrade given by the OP.

Must admit I'm still not entirely sure what the quote is supposed to be saying...

Well spotted, it does indeed come from their own website ..... nice one Henley!
teeth_smile.gif

Wasn't too sure of correct interpretation myself but it looked like it was saying it made s*d all difference...

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Why do dealers have to put their business details in their signatures but manufacturers/distributors do not?

I think it's simply that signatures were lost during the move to the new forum software and infrequent users (Henley only tend to appear every couple of months or so) may not have realised their old sig has disappeared. I doubt there's anything more sinister than that happening.

The_Lhc said:
MajorFubar said:
Why do dealers have to put their business details in their signatures but manufacturers/distributors do not?

I think it's simply that signatures were lost during the move to the new forum software and infrequent users (Henley only tend to appear every couple of months or so) may not have realised their old sig has disappeared. I doubt there's anything more sinister than that happening.

Yes I think that is probably it The_Lhc. Everyone lost their sigs when new forum appeared and I know many are unaware of this particularly the infrequent posters.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
For the cost of two large pizzas and and a bottle of pop at Pizza Hut you could argue it's worth trying, but how little difference has it got to make before it's deemed as not worth it. £25 buys you a good new LP possibly with some change, or 25-50 used ones from Cancer Research providing your primary taste in music is James Last.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I'm impressed that the pulley is metal and fixed by tightening a grub screw rather than made of (untrimmed) plastic and fixed with a spot of glue. (You know who I mean.)

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
I'm impressed that the pulley is metal and fixed by tightening a grub screw rather than made of (untrimmed) plastic and fixed with a spot of glue. (You know who I mean.)

As far as I know all Pro-ject pulleys are metal, certainly have been on all the models I've seen.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
chebby said:

As far as I know all Pro-ject pulleys are metal, certainly have been on all the models I've seen.

Yes, I was comparing with Rega where my old P2 and old P3 both had very shabby looking plastic pulleys secured with a dab of glue. Both had bits of moulding trim left on them too. They were both fine sounding decks and the trim never fouled the belt or anything else, but it looked cheap

chebby said:

Yes, and their motors used to be held in place by rubber bands. Believe they might have stopped that now though.
regular_smile.gif

TRENDING THREADS