Experience with Dali Zensor 5

YOLO

Oct 15, 2016
Visit site
Are there any users who have experience with Dali Zensor 5 speakers.

After my disappointing purchase last year (NAD D3020 and Zensor Pico), I now saved up and have some more budget.

I listened to MA Bronze 5, these sounded good but the DALI Zensor 5 are clearly better.

I have listened to the following amps: Yamaha A-S801, R-N602 and new NAD 338.

Between the three amplifiers was no difference, the difference was clearly in the speakers.

Now my 2 questions:
- Are there other amplifiers that I should consider to partner with DALI Zensor 5?

- Could an AVreceiver Marantz NR-1607 be a good choice for stereo only?

Please share your thoughts.

YOLO said:
Are there any users who have experience with Dali Zensor 5 speakers. After my disappointing purchase last year (NAD D3020 and Zensor Pico), I now saved up and have some more budget. I listened to MA Bronze 5, these sounded good but the DALI Zensor 5 are clearly better. I have listened to the following amps: Yamaha A-S801, R-N602 and new NAD 338. Between the three amplifiers was no difference, the difference was clearly in the speakers. Now my 2 questions: - Are there other amplifiers that I should consider to partner with DALI Zensor 5?

I would simply say try as many amps as you can. Will not quote any as I have no idea where you are or what you can actually get to audition. Regards your last question I would ask why would you want to waste money doing that?

YOLO said:
Are there any users who have experience with Dali Zensor 5 speakers. After my disappointing purchase last year (NAD D3020 and Zensor Pico), I now saved up and have some more budget. I listened to MA Bronze 5, these sounded good but the DALI Zensor 5 are clearly better. I have listened to the following amps: Yamaha A-S801, R-N602 and new NAD 338. Between the three amplifiers was no difference, the difference was clearly in the speakers. Now my 2 questions: - Are there other amplifiers that I should consider to partner with DALI Zensor 5?

Sorry, that posted twice for some reason

For most listeners, the amplifier choice is more about budget and the facilities you need. The speakers will be, as you have found, by far the biggest change you can make.

Unless you don't like your NAD, that should be fine. Generally I'd not choose an AV device for stereo, but they often have useful facilities for streaming and some even have phono stages (only relevant if you need one!). There is just so much other 'stuff' in them that I'd prefer something less complicated.

Did you hear the better Dali speakers on your current amp?

nopiano said:
My reply crossed with Al's, but looks like we are on similar lines...

We are indeed. Most budget amps tend to sound pretty similar. Until you get up to the likes of Cyrus where they are tuned to provide a particular 'house' sound do things begin to differ.Facilities are what is needed to be concentrated on.

The use of AV amps purely for stereo is possible of course but would, to my mind, be a waste of money and false economy if you are not going to use all those channels or functionality. Might be an idea if you feel the need to attach a subwoofer but even then maybe not.

YOLO

Oct 15, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the reply's guys.

Currently i have no amp, I returned the D3020. I feel the NAD 338 is similar to the D3020, at 75% of the volumescale the sound output is reasonable, i feel the 338 is underpowered identical to the D3020.

The arguments to consider an AV-receiver is:

- If all the budget amps sound the same why not opt for a AV receiver with added functionality like streaming and HDMI. (i would not use alle the channels or the sub or a phono)

- Pricewise there is not much between the choices.

Onkyo A-9010 (EU version) + NS-6130 = € 429

Marantz NR-1606 = € 449

Onkyo TX-8150 = € 419 (but no HDMI) (8270=€ 669)

Yamaha R-N303 = € 419

I would like a PM6006 but thats to expensive (€ 499) with no streaming

My sources will be:

- VTuner from TV

- XBOX ONE S Youtube/CD/Bluray

- Ipad, Iphone, Samsung A5

- I have no paid subsripion for streaming services like Spotify

Is there another combination for me to consider, like a entry level dedicated amp en Chromecast audio?

rainsoothe

YOLO said:

Currently i have no amp, I returned the D3020. I feel the NAD 338 is similar to the D3020, at 75% of the volumescale the sound output is reasonable, i feel the 338 is underpowered identical to the D3020.

- If all the budget amps sound the same why not opt for a AV receiver with added functionality like streaming and HDMI. (i would not use alle the channels or the sub or a phono)

Marantz NR-1606 = € 449

Yamaha R-N303 = € 419

My sources will be:

- VTuner from TV

- XBOX ONE S Youtube/CD/Bluray

Is there another combination for me to consider, like a entry level dedicated amp en Chromecast audio?

Hi. Al said "most", not "all" budget amps sound the same (which is somewhat true, but for instance I can tell a Nad from a Marantz).

With that budget, I would look at SH or ex-dem amps tbh. Arcam A19 or Naim Nait 5si (the 5si should be good with the Zensor 5, not the Arcam).
For nice all-in-one functionality though, I would look at either a Unitiqute 2 with sensitive speakers, like Focal Aria 906, or a Cambridge Audio CXN + Adam A7X. Low box count, and great sound.

I'm not a fan of Dali Zensor 5, they seem a bit too wooly in their bass to me, even if the mid-range and highs are pretty good. Imo both the mentioned standmounts easily outperform Dali Zensor 5.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
rainsoothe said:
YOLO said:

Currently i have no amp, I returned the D3020. I feel the NAD 338 is similar to the D3020, at 75% of the volumescale the sound output is reasonable, i feel the 338 is underpowered identical to the D3020.

- If all the budget amps sound the same why not opt for a AV receiver with added functionality like streaming and HDMI. (i would not use alle the channels or the sub or a phono)

Marantz NR-1606 = € 449

Yamaha R-N303 = € 419

My sources will be:

- VTuner from TV

- XBOX ONE S Youtube/CD/Bluray

Hi. Al said "most", not "all" budget amps sound the same (which is somewhat true, but for instance I can tell a Nad from a Marantz).

With that budget, I would look at SH or ex-dem amps tbh. Arcam A19 or Naim Nait 5si (the 5si should be good with the Zensor 5, not the Arcam). For nice all-in-one functionality though, I would look at either a Unitiqute 2 with sensitive speakers, like Focal Aria 906, or a Cambridge Audio CXN + Adam A7X. Low box count, and great sound.

I'm not a fan of Dali Zensor 5, they seem a bit too wooly in their bass to me, even if the mid-range and highs are pretty good. Imo both the mentioned standmounts easily outperform Dali Zensor 5.

The Zensor 5 needs a powerful amplifier with a lot of grip. I heard a dem that involved a Marantz, Arcam and a biggish Cambridge power amp, the difference in tightness and punch was tangible, the much more powerful Cambridge being streets ahead.

Generally speaking I am not a fan of cheap floorstanders, bass control is often lacking and that is important to me but though I would much prefer your active option, I doubt if the OP would concur.

rainsoothe

davedotco said:
rainsoothe said:
YOLO said:

Currently i have no amp, I returned the D3020. I feel the NAD 338 is similar to the D3020, at 75% of the volumescale the sound output is reasonable, i feel the 338 is underpowered identical to the D3020.

- If all the budget amps sound the same why not opt for a AV receiver with added functionality like streaming and HDMI. (i would not use alle the channels or the sub or a phono)

Marantz NR-1606 = € 449

Yamaha R-N303 = € 419

My sources will be:

- VTuner from TV

- XBOX ONE S Youtube/CD/Bluray

With that budget, I would look at SH or ex-dem amps tbh. Arcam A19 or Naim Nait 5si (the 5si should be good with the Zensor 5, not the Arcam). For nice all-in-one functionality though, I would look at either a Unitiqute 2 with sensitive speakers, like Focal Aria 906, or a Cambridge Audio CXN + Adam A7X. Low box count, and great sound.

The Zensor 5 needs a powerful amplifier with a lot of grip. I heard a dem that involved a Marantz, Arcam and a biggish Cambridge power amp, the difference in tightness and punch was tangible, the much more powerful Cambridge being streets ahead.

Generally speaking I am not a fan of cheap floorstanders, bass control is often lacking and that is important to me but though I would much prefer your active option, I doubt if the OP would concur.

To each, his own (is that the expression?) But it's nice to know that about the Zensor 5 - my experience was with Marantz sr5010 surround receiver, so that might have been the problem - although Dali subwoofer didn't seem to fix it a great deal.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I have Zensor 5's at the moment paired with an Arcam A19 amp, sounds very nice indeed particularly in a small room at low to medium volumes - the bass does have tiny hint of muddyness to it but not enough to spoil things.

YOLO

Oct 15, 2016
Visit site
Thank you for the different views you all gave

Unfortunatly my budget does not stretch to the likes of Rega Brio R or an Maranatz PM8006.

I like to buy new, to avoid guarantee isues.

I think i will visit a local hifiklubben shop and listen to

- PM6006

- Denon HEOS Amp HS2

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts