Expensive AV amp vs cheap stereo

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

I currently have the chance to get a cheap RXv2065 av amp, but won't (initially) be using it for home cinema. I currently have a pir of monitor audio RS1's and an old pioneer A300x stereo amp. Is the big yamaha likely to be an upgrade for pure stereo use?

Thanks,

Garf

A

Anonymous

Thanks all - I think I'll give it a go and I can always ebay it if it doesn't pass muster!

T

the record spot

Damn right and give it a go. And try and forget the "AV amps don't do music" fluff as well...

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I agree, AV receivers are getting better. Have done 2 chanel demos recently with the Marantz SR7005, Pioneer SCLX83, and Onkyo TXSR808, and all hav faired very well. The Pioneer was up against an Arcam A38, which it couldn't beat - in an A/B demo most would choose the Arcam with the music that was tried, but if heard in isolation, many people would be extremely happy with their 2 channel performance.

A

Anonymous

Just thought I'd feed back in case anyone faces a similar quandry. The Yamaha is much more powerful and refined...very smooth. To my eas though, the fizz and enthusiasm of the little pioneer makes for more involved listening.

Shame - the Yamaha is a wonderful amp as a package, and the lack of remote on the A300x has been bugging me for a while....can anyone think of a stereo amp (with remote) with a similar sound?

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I have a Yamaha rxv2500 av amp. I have found this amp to be superb for music playback. The on board amps are very,very good indeed. I once used this as a pre-amp, running a Rotel rb03 power amp for the front channels. I found the Rotel to sound a bit dry, and harsh. I soon went back to using the Yamaha's on board amplification for stereo playback using pure direct mode. I have the front channels and speakers in a bi-wire configuration, and the sound is powerful, crisp, clear, and very smooth. The noise floor on this unit is very low. You can put your ear to the speaker, and not hear a whisper.IMHO i think if the on board amps are of excellent quality, when you switch the pure direct mode on, you are closing down all digital circuits, and turning the av amp into a high quality two channel analogue amp. I agree forget the av amps can't do music !

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts