Exclusive review of the new Panasonic DMP-BD50 Blu-ray player

A

Anonymous

Any idea when this will be up Clare? Hoping this is the answer to my Blu-ray prayers :)

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Blimey, we're only 44 minutes into afternoon!

It will be up ASAP, we promise - we're just finishing off some comparisons with its BD30 sibling, as we're sure you're all going to want to know the difference between the two.

A

Anonymous

Clare, maybe I'm just being dense but I can't find it........

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Aeis:Clare, maybe I'm just being dense but I can't find it........

Believe it or not, it's all written, and we're just waiting for Panasonic to come up with a usable picture of the product - ie one where it's not three-quarters hidden in stygian blackness - and then we can post the review.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Yes, I spoke to the technical test team just before I left the office this evening and the review is all written, but as Andrew said, we're waiting for Pansonic's PR dept to supply us with a decent picture, which hadn't arrived by 6pm.
But don't panic! I'll be on the case first thing tomorrow morning, so we'll get the review posted just as soon as we get the picture.

A

Anonymous

It's Wednesday morning now and I'm getting an anxiety attack waiting for the review, aaaargh!!!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
The review will be published just as soon as all the elements are in place.

And just think - if there wasn't this website you'd have to wait until the end of July to read the review, as it arrived too late for inclusion in our next, August, issue, which is on sale next week.

A

Anonymous

So, let me get this right - the August issue comes out in June? Just how mad is that? Looking forward to the BD50 review. Now that my amp, speakers and tv issues are sorted - this is the final piece of the jigsaw. Advice I was given on Saturday when I bought my amp & speakers was to wait for the new blurays that will come out in the Autumn from Denon, Pioneer etc before rushing into buying the BD50...

A

Anonymous

Well, I've now read the review and the player sounds really terrific. Clare, Andrew, have Panasonic said when it's going to be on sale in the UK?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Collectus:Well, I've now read the review and the player sounds really terrific. Clare, Andrew, have Panasonic said when it's going to be on sale in the UK?

Yup - see here.

A

Anonymous

June 10 release date? Really? I was in our Panasonic shop in Limerick only yesterday and they had no news of a release date yet...

A

Anonymous

They were just given a set of price reductions from Panasonic UK and the Manager also called them to get a price for me on the PZ800. As I said elsewhere, they quoted me ?2500 for the PZ800. On the online Panasonic UK shop (which rather annoyingly only delivers to the UK because of the recycling charges over here), this is quoted as £1596.99, which equates to only ?2000... You don't know you're born in the UK pricewise compared to here, I tell you!

A

Anonymous

Went to the Panasonic Shop again today. Manager agreed there shouldn't be ?500 difference between her price and the one quoted on the online shop, so she is checking that out.

I also asked about the BD50. Quoted price of ?579.50 to me and said that they are on order but she has no date on which to expect them.

grumpyoldman

Jun 18, 2008
Visit site
Any idea how long it usually takes from release to actually get into the shops? Even Amazon and John Lewis weren't listing yesterday so 10 June sounds unrealistic.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I guess Panasonic has hit a delay. We got ours on Monday, so I guess the company had some then, but I have no idea how many or where the stocks are going. Sorry.

skr1

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Andrew thanks Take note of Panasonic Answer to my Question? Yes i was aware of the date and Report keep up the good work Steve.

I Thank you for your e-mail enquiry.

In response, I would explain that we have no further information for new releases at this time, other than that already displayed on our website. We would suggest that you please keep checking the following website for updates, as any information regarding new releases will be added to this site as soon as it becomes available:

www.panasonic.c

A

Anonymous

Well they better get their skates on as Sony's BDP-S550 is looming awfully close!

They had a Panasonic stand in the Trafford Centre (Manchester) at the weekend promoting HD. I got speaking with one of the guys there and I asked when the BD50 is going to be released as it was supposed to be June 10th and he swore it wouldn't be out till around Christmas, plus they were having trouble getting enough BD30's out the door as they were selling like hot cakes. I had to just walk away sniggering at that point. Went into two shops selling AV equipment and both had boat loads of BD30's.

A

Anonymous

I was talking to my local dealer yesterday and he was pretty cycnical about Panasonic, Denon, etc.saying that they deliberately market new products via reviews such as the one here to whip up a buying frenzy and then take months to actually release them to the shops. He said it'll be Xmas before the BD-50 is for sale!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts