Ever worked out how much you have spent on your HiFi?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
T

the record spot

Gazzip said:
I did this afternoon for insurance purposes.

Currently on my third stiff drink.....

My insurance covers me for whatever is damaged; thankfully, never yet had to call on it. What I've spent this past year is around £1700. Not bad for about £4ks worth of gear!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
A related question (to everybody) - if someone offered you your money back in full, would you take it? :? :twisted:

No, I get far to much enjoyment out of it.

Should I sell I would get back what I paid for anyhow.

regards

D

Deleted member 2457

CnoEvil said:
A related question (to everybody) - if someone offered you your money back in full, would you take it? :? :twisted:

Possibly, but you need a TV and a Blu-Ray player, and the others just make sense. :). If not financial sense! :doh:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
CnoEvil said:

Don't be silly.

What! Me?

It's just another way of asking, have you bought the right kit / what would you do different?

As new stuff becomes available, it may well be possible to get better sound for the same budget. eg. I'm aware of someone who has recently changed 10 year old system that cost around £12k, for one that costs less than half that, and has (in his view), had an upgrade in sound.

CnoEvil said:
plastic penguin said:
CnoEvil said:

Don't be silly.

What! Me?

It's just another way of asking, have you bought the right kit / what would you do different?

As new stuff becomes available, it may well be possible to get better sound for the same budget.

Leema brand new: £750

Naim CDP ex-dem: £430

PMCs ex-dem: £800

If you could show me a way of a significant improvement given the prices I've paid, you'd be a unquestionable genius.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
plastic penguin said:
CnoEvil said:

Don't be silly.

What! Me?

As new stuff becomes available, it may well be possible to get better sound for the same budget.

perfect sence!

PP if they offer what you've paid for your "old" RS6 as new, wouldn't you accept?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:

If you could show me a way of a significant improvement given the prices I've paid, you'd be a unquestionable genius.

Since I haven't heard your system, it's hard to know what would count as a "significant upgrade", but for my taste, i would go with

Linn Sneaky (used) £550

Croft Integrated (new) £800

Kef LS50 (ex-dem) £650

I grant you that this is very subjective.

Hi-FiOutlaw said:
CnoEvil said:
plastic penguin said:
CnoEvil said:

Don't be silly.

What! Me?

perfect sence!

PP if they offer what you've paid for your "old" RS6 as new, wouldn't you accept?

Probably not - I had those RS6s since 2007, and still can't think of any floorstander in that price bracket that would've given more pleasure.

CnoEvil said:
plastic penguin said:

Since I haven't heard your system, it's hard to know what would count as a "significant upgrade", but for my taste, i would go with

Linn Sneaky (used) £550

Croft Integrated (new) £800

Kef LS50 (ex-dem) £650

I grant you that this is very subjective.

This is the snag with the question you posed - I currently haven't heard a combo, anywhere near those prices, I prefer. So my answer has to be a resounding 'no'.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
This is the snag with the question you posed - I currently haven't heard a combo, anywhere near those prices, I prefer. So my answer has to be a resounding 'no'.

My question was not about what anyone has heard, but what could be done for the same money, using the best of what's currently available. The difficulty is getting to hear these interesting alternatives.

Marsbardark

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Ladies football is far more exciting than the mens

In my opinion, this is one of the most ridiculous statements ever made.

Hifi/ lofi

TEAC ah300 mk3 = £120

Mordaunt Short Mezzo 1 = £99

Philips Fidelio X1 = £112

It plays music and I can hear most of what I think it's playing.

CnoEvil said:
plastic penguin said:

My question was not about what anyone has heard, but what could be done for the same money, using the best of what's currently available. The difficulty is getting to hear these interesting alternatives.

But you did say, "as new products come along..." so I earnestly stated I've not come across anything near the prices I paid that I would prefer, hence I used the "genius" word if you could. By the same token I wouldn't know where to start as regards your kit.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
The Devialet can do more things (and better) than when I bought it. As of next week it'll be able to do even more. Why sell?

As for the Martin Logans, I haven't heard speakers for under £10K that have pleased me more, and I paid £7K for them.

Evidently I am some kind of hi-fi-buying genius. Like the rest of us ...

Matt

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
matt49 said:
The Devialet can do more things (and better) than when I bought it. As of next week it'll be able to do even more. Why sell?

The Devialet is the sort of thing I'm referring to, as it appears to be rewriting the rule book at its price level.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
CnoEvil said:

Hell no! Not a chance.

That's 'cause you've been Debriefed and then Brainwashed! ;)

Though saying that, I suspect the AVIs are also the sort of thing that give great VFM.

PEAYEL

Dec 13, 2008
Visit site
Did this recently for insurance purposes. I had a shock too. :O Not so much the cost of the boxes as that was easy, more so the £35 here and the £50 there, the £10 on new cable plugs, covering for the cables, decent extension blocks, speaker cable, interconnects, stands, isolation material, server, router, dedicated laptop (an old one), software, back up hard drives and all their cables and plugs etc etc.. It worked out, that if I have to buy it all brand new, it would be just under £20k. I got to around £13k on the kit that I would call HiFi and AV that is used as a family, I was surprised by how much value there was in other areas of the house. Like a couple of Pure radios, my Linn Classsik and speakers etc in the Library/Office, then the biggest surprise was the value of my cast off HiFi that my son uses. I nearly choked, no wonder his mates love gaming and video nights around our house.

Anyway after doing the evaluation, I then had to try and value how much the music collection would need to be insured for. I didn't know that when it gets above a certain size insurance companies consider this an item that has to be specified and they like details, like it was a museum collection. :read:

Glad that it's all done now though and the correct insurance is now in place. :grin: :grin:

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
matt49 said:

The Devialet is the sort of thing I'm referring to, as it appears to be rewriting the rule book at its price level.

Yes, rewriting the rule book is exactly what it's doing.

And to think Devialet started off five years ago as an oddball high-end product way beyond the reach of virtually everyone. The original D-Premier was a great amp + DAC, but with no streaming and (bizarrely) an HDMI input. And it cost £12K.

Even back then greatness beckoned. The distortion measurements were astonishing.

But now you can get a Devialet 120 for a bit over £4K (OK, still an awful lot of money). That buys you 120W of Class A amp with class-leading output impedance, which makes it brilliant at driving almost all speakers. (The PSU is rated at 600W, with a max of 3000W.) It now has streaming via wireless and ethernet, so no need for a streamer or DAC. And soon you'll be able to download software to optimize LF performance for a range of speakers.

And the capacity of its four DSP units has only just begun to be exploited. A lifetime of free upgrades awaits.

Fanboy, moi? Too right!

:bounce:

Matt

matt49 said:
CnoEvil said:
matt49 said:

Yes, rewriting the rule book is exactly what it's doing.

And to think Devialet started off five years ago as an oddball high-end product way beyond the reach of virtually everyone. The original D-Premier was a great amp + DAC, but with no streaming and (bizarrely) an HDMI input. And it cost £12K.

Even back then greatness beckoned. The distortion measurements were astonishing.

But now you can get a Devialet 120 for a bit over £4K (OK, still an awful lot of money). That buys you 120W of Class A amp with class-leading output impedance, which makes it brilliant at driving almost all speakers. (The PSU is rated at 600W, with a max of 3000W.) It now has streaming via wireless and ethernet, so no need for a streamer or DAC. And soon you'll be able to download software to optimize LF performance for a range of speakers.

And the capacity of its four DSP units has only just begun to be exploited. A lifetime of free upgrades awaits.

Fanboy, moi? Too right!

:bounce:

Matt

Do you mean a Devialet 110?

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Al ears said:
matt49 said:

Do you mean a Devialet 110?

The latest online firmware update has upgraded the Devialets' power output. The models have been renamed accordingly:

110 becomes 120

170 becomes 200

240 becomes 250

500 becomes 800

Matt

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts