Ever Wired Your Speakers Out of Phase? - On Purpose!

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
Due to some changes in circumstances which I won't bore you with, I've been forced to relocate the TV & stereo in a 6 foot alcove. Amp is a Rotel RA-1062 driving MA RS6s.

I bought a smaller AV stand so that the speakers weren't tight against the side walls & experimented (as much as constraints allow) with positioning. I now have some fairly serious toe-in which goes some way to reducing boom but not eliminating it (even with bungs). The Rotel has "contour" controls that allow bass to be increased but not reduced.

So there I was thinking what else I could do to reduce bass when I thought about how out of phase speakers lose bass. So just for experimentation, I swapped the bananas on one speaker. Boom gone!

OK, so had a lot of the bass that should be there so I cranked the contour switch up a notch. And so far, on a very brief listen, it actually sounds OK.

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
I have but only on rear speakers in a surround syatem when I was running 2 speakers from a single channel.

I would have thought you would have lost all of your Imaging/staging by doing what you have said, the only time i have hooked up stereo speakers out of phase (accidentally) they sounded awful.

cstanwhf

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
The volume should decrease a little as well for your case since some of the sound will cancel each other out.

Tried it to run in the speakers face to face before.

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Crocodile:
Due to some changes in circumstances which I won't bore you with, I've been forced to relocate the TV & stereo in a 6 foot alcove. Amp is a Rotel RA-1062 driving MA RS6s.

I bought a smaller AV stand so that the speakers weren't tight against the side walls & experimented (as much as constraints allow) with positioning. I now have some fairly serious toe-in which goes some way to reducing boom but not eliminating it (even with bungs). The Rotel has "contour" controls that allow bass to be increased but not reduced.

So there I was thinking what else I could do to reduce bass when I thought about how out of phase speakers lose bass. So just for experimentation, I swapped the bananas on one speaker. Boom gone!

OK, so had a lot of the bass that should be there so I cranked the contour switch up a notch. And so far, on a very brief listen, it actually sounds OK.

Try wiring BOTH speakers out of phase. The image will come back and as Andrew Eerard says, you are listening at the moment to 2 channels. With both out of phase, you go back to stereo. I've done this intentionally for the very reasons you state. It does work.

A

Anonymous

I would probably be looking at changing speakers, if you really have to have your speakers in this location I would maybe consider smaller speakers or a sub with satellite speakers. Is there any flexibility in positioning if you move to this type of setup i.e. could smaller speakers be placed outside of the alcove?

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
Well like I said, it as just a quick listen. I'll have to to find time to play some more.

For the foreseeable future, this is what I'm stuck with.

Alcove.jpg

TRENDING THREADS