European mains power conditioner

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I'm new here. living in Belgium

just getting into buying a new home theatre system, was curious if anyone could help me out with some info on european mains conditioners.

thanks so much :)

A

Anonymous

Christopher, the circuitry in Europe is a bit different from that in the UK, in that there's no ring main, just spurs carrying up to 8 sockets coming out from the mains box (sorry, don't know the word in English). Therefore, there may be less of a requirement for a mains conditioner since interference from other appliances will be less. This is assuming you put your HiFi/home cinema kit all on the one spur, and don't plug other electrical appliances into that spur.

Check with your local HiFi stores, they should be able to help.

Heyjijdaar

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
Are you going to buy your home cinima kit in the UK? I believe they have got the same voltage (230-240V) as in Belgium. Only the sockets are different, which can be solved with an adapter.

A

Anonymous

Heyjijdaar:
Are you going to buy your home cinima kit in the UK? I believe they have got the same voltage (230-240V) as in Belgium. Only the sockets are different, which can be solved with an adapter.

That's true (230v is the norm in Europe), but the domestic circuitry is totally different, which is why mains conditioners may be less of an issue.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Tarquinh:Heyjijdaar:

That's true (230v is the norm in Europe), but the domestic circuitry is totally different, which is why mains conditioners may be less of an issue.
The voltage should also be 230v in the UK , although in practise it is still often 240 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_wiring_(UK) As an aside, the fact that the UK uses ring mains is why we have fused plugs and the rest of Europe does not. In Germany it is common to have a 2 phase supply to a domestic house - I wonder if this can cause any intersting Hifi problems?

A

Anonymous

I always though Germany was like France, where it's single phase with three phase still available but becoming increasingly rare.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Well it was 16 years ago when I lived in Germany, but my bosses house had two phase and you could buy multi phase white goods from the local department store.

A

Anonymous

You still can from tri phase to single phase or vice versa.

A

Anonymous

thanks everyone for your help.

I'm quite sure that the voltage here is 230. just had a quick look around at some appliances and that seems to be the norm.

your posts have helped a lot and given me some new things to look into. I'll surely ask at the hi fi store next time i'm there.ÿ

interestingly, i've been buying things from the UK and having them shipped here. The voltage seems to be the same for the UK and Europe. also, i'm loving that the British pound is not as strong as it used to be. Some Hi Fi equipment is really so much more expensive here! but there are also some things that are best bought locally such as speakers and amps

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts